Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Svenne

Re: Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post by Svenne »

gregsimon wrote:On OSX 10.11.6 Pro9 Steinberg's own "The Grand 3 (3.1.1) is blacklisted despite being a 64bit VST3. Hmm. Should I update to macos sierra then? Seems like that will just add more problems. :-(
I'm afraid that upgrading to Sierra will not help either:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... ation.html
Scroll down to "The Grand 3"

The Grand is apparently incompatible with both Sierra and Cubase 9!
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

Sonik

Post by Sonik »

suntower wrote:1. IMO, there needs to be a way to turn 'Sentinel' OFF--like ASIO Guard. At least until you guys have more real-world feedback. Disabling 32 bit support is too huge a leap with no prior warning.

2. Said it before, say it again: you guys need to COMMUNICATE. A big change like this should have been communicated to users MANY MONTHS ahead of time. I'm sure there would've been yelling, but so what? At least users like me would've had -time- to prepare!

My work is constantly re-using material from many years ago. So almost the biggest thing -I- need is backward compatibility--or at least a way to migrate older work to the newer versions without too much pain.

With no prior warning, I feel stuck... I like the new features of C9, but the unexpected cost of losing a TON of plugs is a real gut punch.
Why not you use 8.5 for old projects?
Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.11|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|2xUAD-2 Sattellite
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|Grace Design m905|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

Siegfried1974

Post by Siegfried1974 »

Hello,
User of Cubase for a very long time, I rushed on the new version 9 yesterday... In the place, to wait for the first notices...
Thus the big novelty it is a module 'Sentinel' (anything that the name frightens) roughly that verifies all your plugins and without explanation that tosses 60 % of plug - in in a blacklist. Roughly, they become unusable... Thus your previous projects died ...
The AFTER-SALES SERVICE, after some messages, tells me that I need to contact the editors of the plugin while everything works under Cubase 8.5. "Cubase9 is more stable without third party plugins"
Do not lose 100€ in this update, stay under 8.5.

Steve1977

Post by Steve1977 »

Svenne wrote:
gregsimon wrote:On OSX 10.11.6 Pro9 Steinberg's own "The Grand 3 (3.1.1) is blacklisted despite being a 64bit VST3. Hmm. Should I update to macos sierra then? Seems like that will just add more problems. :-(

That sucks. The Grand 3 does works on windows with cubase 9 though.
COMPUTER: i7-10700k/64GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1660 Super/M.2 SSD Drives + SATA SSD Drives
HARDWARE: Steinberg UR816C/ Steinberg CC121/ Kemper Amp / GAP-PREQ73 Preamps / Yamaha HS7 Monitors
SOFTWARE: Cubase Pro 11/ Wavelab Pro 10 / Halion 6 / HSO / The Grand 3 / UAD / WAVES/ Windows 10 64bit /
www.bigcloudproductions.com

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

Steve1977 wrote:
Svenne wrote:

Are you saying that Cubase 9 does not blacklist it on Windows? That must mean that Cubase 9 is using different blacklist algorithms on Windows and macOS. This only gets worse and worse.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

Mike3345

Post by Mike3345 »

If using a project created in 8.5 with Kontakt loaded, most plugins will refuse to load. I've reported the bug. (Win10 64 bit)

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

Svenne wrote: Are you saying that Cubase 9 does not blacklist it on Windows? That must mean that Cubase 9 is using different blacklist algorithms on Windows and macOS. This only gets worse and worse.
The Grand 3 gets blacklisted on Sierra because it's incompatible with that OS...
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Steve1977

Post by Steve1977 »

Steve1977 wrote:
Svenne wrote:
Are you saying that Cubase 9 does not blacklist it on Windows? That must mean that Cubase 9 is using different blacklist algorithms on Windows and macOS. This only gets worse and worse.
Yes, my Grand 3 has loaded up in Cubase 9 fine on my Windows PC. Must be a Mac OS incompatibility thing.
COMPUTER: i7-10700k/64GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1660 Super/M.2 SSD Drives + SATA SSD Drives
HARDWARE: Steinberg UR816C/ Steinberg CC121/ Kemper Amp / GAP-PREQ73 Preamps / Yamaha HS7 Monitors
SOFTWARE: Cubase Pro 11/ Wavelab Pro 10 / Halion 6 / HSO / The Grand 3 / UAD / WAVES/ Windows 10 64bit /

sound4site

Post by sound4site »

Siegfried1974 wrote:Hello,
User of Cubase for a very long time, I rushed on the new version 9 yesterday... In the place, to wait for the first notices...
Thus the big novelty it is a module 'Sentinel' (anything that the name frightens) roughly that verifies all your plugins and without explanation that tosses 60 % of plug - in in a blacklist. Roughly, they become unusable... Thus your previous projects died ...
The AFTER-SALES SERVICE, after some messages, tells me that I need to contact the editors of the plugin while everything works under Cubase 8.5. "Cubase9 is more stable without third party plugins"
Do not lose 100€ in this update, stay under 8.5.

Thanks for the warning…. I was just about to upgrade to 9 after watching videos hyping it up.
Will remain on 8.5 for now.
Hopefully we can disable this scary sounding sentinel in the future

Steve1977

Post by Steve1977 »

Just as a counter balance to the above post, when I loaded up Cubase 9, every single 64 bit plug and instrument loaded perfectly. All my UAD, all my Waves, everything.
The only things in the sentinels blacklist were two 32bit plugs (an older multiband and a free melotron plug) that I knew wouldn't make it through.

djw

Post by djw »

I'm getting the feeling that the same users that would blame Cubase for being unstable are now complaining that their unstable plugins get blacklisted.

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

djw wrote:I'm getting the feeling that the same users that would blame Cubase for being unstable are now complaining that their unstable plugins get blacklisted.
No they are not, they are complaining that their stable plug-ins are being blacklisted.

It's impossible to see any pattern or ascertain why a plug-in is blacklisted. As a matter of fact, the same plug-in may be blacklisted on one system, but not on another. It's obvious that the blacklisting has nothing to do with whether a plug-in is stable or not. What the criteria are, is still a mystery.
Siegfried1974 wrote:The AFTER-SALES SERVICE.... "Cubase9 is more stable without third party plugins"
Could this be a first step in making VST a closed Steinberg only format, where no third-party developers are allowed?

peachy

Post by peachy »

Not one single plugin I have blacklisted, that includes Izotope, (apart from the usual .dll’s due to the odd nature of the way Izotope do VST plugins), Arturia, Soundtoys all good Inc. new Echoboy Jr, Cableguys new Shaperbox good, u-he synths all good, Waves and Fabfilter (the ones I have anyway) all good.
Seriously If you have a problem its either very old (look for an update), 32 bit, or just re-enable it in the plugin manager and scan it again.
Intel i7 8700K @4.8, Intel Z370 , 32 gig corsair RAM, Nvidia 1080, 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor, Windows 10 64 bit, Steinberg UR44-C, Cubase 11 Pro, HALion 6, Groove Agent 5. SoundToys, U-he, NI, Moog. HEDD type 20s, and 30 years of other kit....

Siegfried1974

Post by Siegfried1974 »

Hi,
We can ask together Steinberg to have the option to desactivate the sentinel at our own risk.
I'm really angry to have C9 and can't work with. :evil:

EricM
Steinberg Employee

Post by EricM »

"I'm really angry to have C9 and can't work with."
Which plugins are you missing? Are you on Windows or Mac? Have you tried reactivating the 64 Bit plugins on your blacklist?

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

EricM wrote: ...IZotope for example installs dlls into the VST Plugin folder that are no valid plugins. The scanner sorts them out.
All iZotope plugins should be available in Cubase on Windows.
FYI:
My iZotope Vinyl .dll was installed to the Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\VSTPlugins folder. It shows up in the Plug In Manager VST Effects tab AND it shows up in the Blacklist tab. Same path is shown on both tabs and the VST works perfectly even though it is listed in the Blacklist.

Also, I'll mention that clicking the Blacklist "Reactivate" button will not reactivate it. But, like I said, it work perfectly so... me no care.

Weird wild stuff for sure :roll:

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 11, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Hello Prock,

yes, it looks weird, but there's an explanation.

You will find two dlls: one is iZotope*plug_name*.dll and one iZ*plug_name.dll.

The first file is the valid plug-in's dll, the second is not.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:Hello Prock,

yes, it looks weird, but there's an explanation.

You will find two dlls: one is iZotope*plug_name*.dll and one iZ*plug_name.dll.

The first file is the valid plug-in's dll, the second is not.
Thank you very much Fabio. I moved the 2nd .dll you mentioned out and it is off the Blacklist and still working good.

Thanks again ;)

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 11, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Man, I don't know if you can actually move that one out... I usually think I go too much into the details, but this time definitely not :-) Frankly speaking, I don't know what that exactly is, but residing there, I would guess it is a file the actual VST2 dll might refer to for standard operation.

Just leave it in the blacklist, iZotope is on it already.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:Man, I don't know if you can actually move that one out... I usually think I go too much into the details, but this time definitely not :-) Frankly speaking, I don't know what that exactly is, but residing there, I would guess it is a file the actual VST2 dll might refer to for standard operation.

Just leave it in the blacklist, iZotope is on it already.
It is put back. And you were right, it was needed . Again, Thanks ;)

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

:-)

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Seems most of my plug-ins made it through, except TAL-Audio line ones (Marked as 32 bit and blacklisted).... but more worryingly Expert Sleepers Silent Way is missing and won't show up at all (even as blacklisted). Fine in 8.5 on the same machine. What's happened?

S4410

Post by S4410 »

More or less, the same plugins that did not work in C8.5 don't work in C9 also,for me the Korg Legacy Cell. iZOzone7.dll is blacklisted too but Ozone 7 works.If i trash the iZOzone7.dll from my vst folder Ozone doesn't work.So both iZOzone7.dll and iZotope Ozone 7.dll have to be inside VSTPlugins in order Ozone to work. The only 32bit vst plugin that i use is Eiosis ELS Vocoder and works great with JBridger 1.75 , no administrator mode needed for this version.
Not bad ;)
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Wavelab Pro 10 | Dorico Pro 3 | iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

HP Elitebook| Cubase Elements

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

S4410 wrote:More or less, the same plugins that did not work in C8.5 don't work in C9 also,for me the Korg Legacy Cell. iZOzone7.dll is blacklisted too but Ozone 7 works.If i trash the iZOzone7.dll from my vst folder Ozone doesn't work.So both iZOzone7.dll and iZotope Ozone 7.dll have to be inside VSTPlugins in order Ozone to work. The only 32bit vst plugin that i use is Eiosis ELS Vocoder and works great with JBridger 1.75 , no administrator mode needed for this version.
Not bad ;)

For the iZotope VSTs... Fabio explains it starting approx 7 or 8 posts back.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

nectario

Post by nectario »

It makes no sense to remove VSTBridge. Just make it more reliable. I guess I will have to convert my 32 bit plugins using JBridge now...
Last edited by nectario on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”