Ugly looking cross staff slur

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
John Ruggero

Re: Ugly looking cross staff slur

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks Romanos401 and Bruce. I tried your suggestions, also Firefox instead of Chrome, and a png instead of a jpeg without success. Maybe the image is too large. But if it were smaller the detail would not be evident. So I'll try again in the future with a smaller graphic to see I am more successful.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

Dear John,
Check that the largest dimension of your image does not exceed 700 pix. I change the size in Aperçu (built in image viewer on my mac, you probably already have the necessary tools). Upload the new sized image, click on it, copy the url, modify your post to include the image inside the post and voilà.
Marc Larcher

OS X 10.15.6, macbook pro 2019 16" (8 cores i9 @ 2.3GHz, 32GB, 1TB)
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.5, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

Alternatively, use Greenshot, which automatically uploads to imgur and puts the link on your clipboard.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

MarcLarcher, Thanks so much. I used Mac Preview to scale the largest dimension of the image, the width to 700 pix. It was over 1000. I then followed the steps recommended previously, but the result was the same: instead of an image, the phrase "download/file.php?id=49216" appears in the post. I can usually follow instructions (my wife might disagree, however) but this must be my error of some kind.

Thanks, pianoleo I'll look into that one as well.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

Back to the question of slurs, briefly: John, are you aware that if you hold Alt while dragging a handle (with the mouse), the slur shape will remain the same?
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Wow, it went in successfully that time! That makes my day. Notesetter told me to use the "insert image" instead of "insert link" and that plus the smaller image size did the trick.

PIanoleo, no I wasn't aware of that, and it sounds very promising. Unfortunately I am not in a position to try anything since I don't own Dorico. Would I be able to do that in the new Dorico free application?

Thomas Eberth

Post by Thomas Eberth »

Comparing Finale's and Dorico's slurs:

Unfortunately I still have to use Finale sometimes (because the publisher I'm working for isn't ready to switch to Dorico). In many cases I'm not satisfied with Finale's default slurs (and beams). What I do then is, that I enter the notes and slurs into Dorico and watch how Dorico handles the situation. Then I try to replicate the Dorico style manually in Finale.

Thomas

Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra
Finale 3.7 to 2014.5
MuseScore 2.0.3
Dorico Pro 3.1

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

No, it’s still an Engrave mode thing. Maybe ask for a 3.1 Pro trial...

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Unfortunately there is no separate trial license for Dorico 3.1 versus Dorico 3.0, so you can't have another trial of Dorico 3.1 if you previously had a trial of Dorico 3.0. We have sometimes done this in the past, but we did not do so on this occasion.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thank you for recounting your experience, Thomas Eberth. If you haven't done so previously, you might want to go to the Notat.io website and look over some of the old posts that tweak the Finale settings. As you know, the Finale default settings are notoriously bad for so many aspects besides slurs, but easily changed. With my settings, which are given in the posts, I have to modify only a few slurs. In any case, when I am at a loss concerning slur shape, I consult fine printed editions; I have found the old Breitkopf and Haertel Brahms Complete Works to be very helpful.

PIanoleo, I already did a trial of 3.0. Wish I had waited until 3.1 particularly because of the new line tool, since line work was a major factor in my decision to stay with Finale. When Dorico allows input of multiple individually moveable fingerings for single notes, I will probably buy it if only to see if I can adapt it to my working style.

Return to “Dorico”