Markers change position when changing tempo

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
EmBee1972

Re: Markers change position when changing tempo

Post by EmBee1972 »

It's been some time since my last post about this, but I found out a few things. First of all: the markers indeed do stay at the same time frame where you put them; it's the music that moves to other points. It feels a bit awkward that I created a thread about it, thinking the markers moved, but it appears to be as I wrote, that the music moves away. A lot of people tried to help, thanks for that!
So now remains the question of how I can make the music to stay also attached to the same time marker, instead of moving ahead or away from the cue? This would really save a lot of time, as I've spent pretty much time aligning everything again. Maybe it's something really easy, or maybe it's simply not possible yet. Either way, it would nice if someone can tell more about that.

Andre

Post by Andre »

The music moves away from markers when you change the tempo, that is supposed to happen. Markers stay connected to the movie.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but have you tried using a separate flow for each cue? That way, you can guarantee ONE point will stay synchronised - typically the start of the cue. When you attach the video to the flow, you can specify the time offset in the video where the music starts.

Then you can tweak the tempo to line up the end of the music and the video cue, and IIRC there is a tool in Dorico to calculate the exact tempo to do that.

The default gap between flows for playback is 5 seconds, but you can change that to 0 if you want.

ExLogic

Post by ExLogic »

Logic user here trying to make the switch to Cubase. I know this is Dorico related, but the same issue happens with Cubase. I really want the markers to be locked to SMPTE (along with video). If my session starts at bar 1, and my starting timecode is 1.00.00.00, if I have a marker at say :15 (one could say, "car slams down on pavement" but it's not falling on a beat and I want to find a tempo that works so that it will land precicely on a beat, I would typically change my tempo until the marker and video scene lands on a beat. Instead what happens, is I change my tempo and the marker moves. See attached examples. In my opinion, this shouldn't happen. The markers should lock to SMPTE.
Cubase120bpm_MarkerAt15Seconds.png
15 second marker at 1.00.15.00 in the timeline 120 bpm
(27.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase80bpm_15MarkerAt1.00.22.12.png
15 second marker moved to 1.00.22.12 in the timeline 120 bpm
(49.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

ExLogic, I think you'll have more success with this question in the Cubase forums here, if you've not already posted it there.

ExLogic

Post by ExLogic »

Will do for the future. I'll be back here with Dorico questions soon enough... I did figure out this issue for those lost Cubase souls who might land here: right-click on marker track, select track settings, make sure "toggle time base" button is available on your track, then toggle the button (looks like a note) from musical to linear. Thank you!

Return to “Dorico”