Cubase 8.5 - CPU Drop-outs and spikes and more

Use this forum for an overview of collected issues and to report new ones.
thomas2000

Re: Cubase 8.5 - CPU Drop-outs and spikes and more

Post by thomas2000 »

ASIO Guard Mysteries :
ASIO Guard is set to Normal, only change the audio buffer size.

Buffer samples/ASIO Guard Latency
48 samples / 23.946ms
64 samples / 23.220ms
96 samples / 21.769ms
128 samples / 23.220ms
256 samples / 23.220ms
512 samples / 23.220ms
1024 samples / 46.440ms
2048 samples / 92.880ms

nikbeat

Post by nikbeat »

Just upgraded to windows 10 here as the free time limit is running out. Same issue here . Left Cubase to record 1 mono track while rehearsing w band . When I returned to the computer it had stopped by it self stating some kind of Audio error- never seen this fault before in my 15 years of Cubase usage. This is utter useless if you cant even record 1 mono track without any plugins etc. Wake up Steinberg this is a disgrace

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

Might as well add another post to this. Recently purchased 8.5 Pro upgrade from Artist 7.5.

Windows 10 machine, i5-2500K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 650Ti card, SSD drive, very clean system, tried all the tweaks.

Open new project, add audio track. Do nothing. Spike... spike... spike..... spike...

Interface is Pro40 Saffire on PCI-E FW card with TI chipset which I have never had problems with.

Obviously, something is going on. . . . .
Cubase Pro 10.5.20.179 - Ryzen 3900x - 32GB DDR4 - Windows 10 - RME Fireface 400 - DYNAUDIO BM6A Mkii - Dynaudio BM5 MkIII - Kemper Rack - Neve RNDI - Focusrite ISA One - Mogami Cable - Guitar Addict

lifeguardlloyd

Post by lifeguardlloyd »

It would be interesting to note how many of us are having the problem. Is it an Intel thing or do AMD chips get the same problem? Is there a way of monitoring this within the tools of Microsoft?
| Win 10 64 pro | Cubase 10.5 | WaveLab 10 | Fireface 400 | (laptop has ur44) | MSIX99A Raider | Core i7 | 32 gigs of ram | GTX 770 |

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

I would also like to know, but in my google travels and forum reading, the common theme for almost all of this seems to be NVIDIA. Because this is really an awful situation I am going to buy an ATI/AMD card and give that a go.

Unfortunately, the DPC LATENCY CHECKER program does not work on Windows 10, but the LATENCYMON program does. When running that, it clearly shows my NVIDIA driver to be a huge issue.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20.179 - Ryzen 3900x - 32GB DDR4 - Windows 10 - RME Fireface 400 - DYNAUDIO BM6A Mkii - Dynaudio BM5 MkIII - Kemper Rack - Neve RNDI - Focusrite ISA One - Mogami Cable - Guitar Addict

lifeguardlloyd

Post by lifeguardlloyd »

I have a $500 NVIDIA video card. Not ready to replace. Hmmmmmm - a good place to start. I will try updating the driver.
| Win 10 64 pro | Cubase 10.5 | WaveLab 10 | Fireface 400 | (laptop has ur44) | MSIX99A Raider | Core i7 | 32 gigs of ram | GTX 770 |

oliverp070

Post by oliverp070 »

Hey Everyone,

I might have something to contribute to the CPU spike/dropout issue that many seem to be experiencing. I'm using Cubase ever since the days of SX 2, and a few months ago I got a whole new computer, i7 PC with Win 10, RME Raydat soundcard, and upgraded to Cubase Pro 8.5.
I got exactly the issues described here, random CPU spikes for no apparent reason, audio would stop for a couple of seconds when the spike occurs, after a couple of seconds all would work again until the problem returns. Sometimes it would happen every couple of minutes, sometimes only once in a couple of days. This problem I had never had on any of my previous installations and I tried pretty much any suggestion made here already plus a couple of more that prove being equally useless in solving the issue. I also changed graphic card, did a BIOS update, refreshed the mainboard drivers, pretty much anything you can think of. Also I assume that all of you have done the necessary tweaks to Win 10 (in case you're using Win 10), instructions for that are found everywhere, for instance on the websites of Focusrite or Native Instruments.
However, I can not guarantee that I've found the ultimate solution, but I can tell for sure that on my computer the problem is gone. I've no been working on it daily for the past two months without any problems whatsoever. What solved it in my case was setting the audio-priority to "boost". To my understanding this function is just supposed to adjust priorities between midi and audio applications, so as I use a lot of both I had it always at the default setting "normal", without exeriencing any problems whatsoever in the past. Changing it I did rather out of random than by plan, bascially I had just run out of reasonable options so I started to also go for unreasonable ones that didn't appear really promising in the first place. Why setting audio priority to "boost" makes the spikes disappear is a question I cannot answer, all I can say is after changing the setting I had no more CPU spikes ever again, also not when running really CPU hungry applications at a latency setting of maximum 128. I do occasionally see spikes when loading large patches in PLAY, but that's an issue of the player, not the system or Cubase.

I am aware this may sound like trivial advice for a horrible problem, but I recommend giving it a try before buying new soundcards, grahic cards or what else. At least in my case, it did solve the problem, so maybe it can do the same for some of you!

lifeguardlloyd

Post by lifeguardlloyd »

Thank you. I will try this. I also noticed that when I turned off my ASIO guard, I saw an improvement.

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

oliverp070 wrote: What solved it in my case was setting the audio-priority to "boost".
If setting the priority to 'boost' solves the issue, it usually indicates that the real-time performance is poor due to other tasks having a higher priority, e.g. GPU tasks.

It should be possible to solve the issue without needing to use 'boost' (although that's perfectly fine), usually by disabling GPU options in the video-card control panel (filtering, buffering, 3D options, etc.), setting the power plan to 'high performance' (also disabling HD sleep and USB selective suspend in the advanced options) and disable C-States, Turbo-Boost, Enhanced Halt, Speed-Step, EIST and such in the BIOS/UEFI.

Of course it's recommended to also update all system drivers from the mainboard manufacturer's website (better to leave the BIOS flashing as the very last option).

On laptops especially, it's worth to uninstall the software suites installed by the manufacturer.

Not too sure what you tried already, lifeguardlloyd (BTW, did you try the Legacy Driver? Any improvement?).

oliverp070

Post by oliverp070 »

Hi Fabio,

I also don't find the solution really satisfying. I'm glad it fixes the problem in terms of making the symptoms disappear, but it's unsatisfying in the way that I'd prefer to understand why a particular problem is appearing and why a particular action fixes it. That setting the audiopriority to "Boost" gets me rid of the spikes is just a lucky shot that went on target. Btw at the studio of a friend of mine who works with a very similar setup we could provoke the spikes as well. He's mainly doing audio so he had the priority set to "Boost" from the start and had no spike issues, but when setting it to "normal" for a tryout, he got them as well. I doubt testing it on two computers qualifies my findings as a proper study done to scientific standards, but at least I could verify the connection between audio priority and the CPU spikes on more than one computer.

I agree the problem is poor realtime performance because of other tasks getting in the way. The spikes mostly appeared when having a miditrack set to record mode; to my understanding this deactivates the ASIO guard as MIDI a real time application, right? So the crucial question which I could not find an answer to, is which realtime task is getting in the way of Cubase. As for the settings in Windows and BIOS, I'm sure they're all what they should be for audio use. Not saying I'm the biggest nerd on those issues, but I'm a professional for more than 20 years, so I think I know my stuff when it comes to that. I considered the Graphic card as suspicious as well and even changed it, but that didn't improve things.
When running Latency Monitor while having Cubase running, it showed the spikes seemed to be linked to an svchost.exe process. That didn't make me a hell of a lot smarter, as it's a system process linked to plenty of tasks, it don't provide any specific information, also it's not a process you could just get rid of. Svchost ist also linked to all kinds of automatic updates for instance, and though I disabled all of them (which is quite some effort in Win10 as this OS is a real *witch* when it comes to that) it might be that Windows is still trying to do something on the background which it considers more important than what's going on in Cubase. But that's just a guess, I didn't manage to really find out what's happening there. So in case you know more or the svchost issue gives you a hint in specifying the problem, then I'd love to hear it.
I can live with the solution as it is now, but I consider it a medication that eliminates the symptoms so they don't bother me anymore. But I'm sure it's not a cure to the actual disease.
However, I blamed the problem rather on Win10 than on Cubase 8.5, but I notice some people seem to have the same issues on a Mac, so it might be a Cubase issue after all. I'm not losing sleep over it anymore as I can work on the system now, but still I'm curious to rationally understand what is happening there and why it happens.

lifeguardlloyd

Post by lifeguardlloyd »

I had the problem in Win 7 64 with Cubase 8.5.

robw

Post by robw »

I have new a "not-a-problem" with spikes since updating my UR44 to use the latest drivers.
The VST Peak light is continuously on, but there are no audio drop outs when playing VSTi or recording!

I'm not really complaining, it works, I just ignore the little red bar. ;-P
Cubase 10 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i9 9900K | ASUS Z370 | 64 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA RTX2080
NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition 12 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion 6 | Composer Cloud X

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Hello,
oliverp070 wrote:So the crucial question which I could not find an answer to, is which realtime task is getting in the way of Cubase. As for the settings in Windows and BIOS, I'm sure they're all what they should be for audio use.
Difficult to say, and it could easily be a non real-time task that causes spikes and performance loss. For example, MS Edge and the software suite coming with the PC were causing bad real-time performance on a Win 10 laptop I recently acquired. This applies to desktops' mainboard suites as well (i.e. AI Suite).
Every system is different, similar issues on two machines could have different causes.
As a side note, better to check the BIOS from time to time, as it's possible that it reverts to safe defaults after a crash, especially when followed by a reboot or when the system auto-reboots after POST initialisation for whatever reason.
oliverp070 wrote:So in case you know more or the svchost issue gives you a hint in specifying the problem, then I'd love to hear it.
Svchost is "a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries" - the only way to know what every 'svchost' entry is is to right-click and see the properties and/or right-click and select 'Go to Service(s)'.
It can be anything from part of an application to a OS task.
It is possible to run 'msconfig' and disable some unneeded services and see it that helps.
oliverp070 wrote: However, I blamed the problem rather on Win10 than on Cubase 8.5, but I notice some people seem to have the same issues on a Mac, so it might be a Cubase issue after all. I'm not losing sleep over it anymore as I can work on the system now, but still I'm curious to rationally understand what is happening there and why it happens.
I'm afraid it will never be as easy as it's either Cubase or the OS. Background services, low-level drivers, plug-ins running in the host, system processes, the already mentioned software suites and pre-installed software, GPU tasks can all affect performance (be it due to thread priority, which is the issue at hand when 'boost' gets rid of the spikes). Without mentioning that some chipsets are more prone to issues than others, like some hardware configurations are. Needless to say, things got more complicated in recent years.

Good ways to narrow down issues are: to check the Windows Error Reporting in the System Information and check various counters in the Performance Monitor; although the latter is quite difficult to properly read, it can point to specific areas (i.e. HD, interrupts, page faults, etc.) which can point in the right direction.
A Mac can have the same problems, although there's a lot less one can actually tweak.

@robw: that's a pretty weird behaviour, would you please contact support if it persists?

Kind regards,

lifeguardlloyd

Post by lifeguardlloyd »

I am now at the point where I have disabled the ASIO guard and set audio priority to high. I have left multicore on. The problem seems to be under control, which explains why these settings exist. I should mention that the PC is a new build with a i7 5820K chip. We'll see.

ledikster

Post by ledikster »

I am having the same issues using Cubase 8.5.x and Windows 10. The one thing that seems to trigger the CPU overload message for me is playing the project, then clicking on an event, such as a MIDI event in the Key Editor. In general, playing back an involved sequence doesn't cause the spike, until the playback is "interrupted", so to speak, by me engaging in an editing process, however small. It's like everything is buffered so much on playback, that when I need the immediacy of an event edit, it is too much to ask. I have the buffer set at 512, so I'm being very conservative there, and have experimented with lower buffer settings, to no avail.

ewtrevino

Post by ewtrevino »

I also have had this problem with 8.5, I'm currently on 8.5.20, but have been dealing with it all of 8.5.

I have Windows 10 Pro
i7 5820
64GB Ram
ASUS X99-WS/USB 3.1
Everything on Samsung 850 EVO SSD's (x5)
RME UFX on USB
NVIDIA GTX 980Ti

I get the CPU spike about once every 2 minutes or so, from small projects to large, doesn't matter. Every project is using virtual instruments, I haven't tried an audio mix project only.

I also have latest version of Ableton, and get zero CPU spikes in similar sized project on my PC.

I've tried every step mentioned in this thread, including setting specific Cubase settings under NVIDIA 3D Control Panel, which btw there is not a factory listed setting for it in my current version, so I made one and turned most every feature off. It was mentioned that there is a Cubase setting that is available. Nothing has resolved it.

I also have a Mac Book Pro, and similar projects in Logic perform just fine. I have not tried Cubase on the Mac yet.

weszme

Post by weszme »

I've also been having this problem lately. It's really stopping me from getting anything done. As with above, I'm not having this issue in Ableton.

I noticed that there's system interrupts in my task manager but I can't seem to pin point which driver it might be.

I don't remember having this issue a few months ago though and it's driving me insane!
Last edited by weszme on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell »

I thought I would chime in since I was experiencing the same issues expressed here. Initially I was running Vienna Ensemble and working fine but when I would add Kontakt 5 in the rack the dropouts and hiccups and CPU spikes would happen. Spikes and loud pops. If I removed Kontakt 5 all was fine- not good of course. So I came to this board.
I have a PC running Win 8 with Intel i7 quad core and Cubase 8.5 64bit and an RME UCX.
I updated the RME drivers and flashed the hardware. I updated Vienna Instruments and Ensemble. And lastly, I turned off Audio Guard. All good. Hope this helps with the troubleshooting. Just wanting to help.

ewtrevino

Post by ewtrevino »

Chest Rockwell wrote:I thought I would chime in since I was experiencing the same issues expressed here. Initially I was running Vienna Ensemble and working fine but when I would add Kontakt 5 in the rack the dropouts and hiccups and CPU spikes would happen. Spikes and loud pops. If I removed Kontakt 5 all was fine- not good of course. So I came to this board.
I have a PC running Win 8 with Intel i7 quad core and Cubase 8.5 64bit and an RME UCX.
I updated the RME drivers and flashed the hardware. I updated Vienna Instruments and Ensemble. And lastly, I turned off Audio Guard. All good. Hope this helps with the troubleshooting. Just wanting to help.
What buffer and audio settings are you using with the RME?

aortizjr

Post by aortizjr »

Has there been any additional information or solution to this. I am experiencing the same issue.

Cubase 8.5.20, Win 7 pro, latest Nvidia drivers and everything up to date.

SeventhAngle

Post by SeventhAngle »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum although have used various versions of Cubase since the Atari days.

After experiencing drop-out problems similar to the ones described in this thread, and trying a number of the suggested fixes, I'm still stuck with multiple audio drop outs. I've had problems in the past with drop-outs, although usually managed to find the route of the problem and fix it. This time I'm at a complete loss.

Here is a basic list of my setup:

Cubase 8.5.2 Artist
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7GHz
16GB RAM
2 x Solid State Drives
UR22 Soundcard (& occasionally I use an SPL Crimson)

Everything was running fine until about 10 days ago. I experienced the odd drop out, and even a complete system crash which is very rare. Last weekend I managed to record two 4 hour sessions without any glitches, however, in the past few days the drop outs are so frequent that my Cubase is now unusable.

I have more sessions to record over the coming days and will be using another program, Samplitude, to record as this is running 100% stable at present.

If anyone has any other tips to add to resolve this drop-out problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

WayneBrain

Post by WayneBrain »

I had spikes, drop outs in ver 8, then upgraded to 8.5, still same problem.
Discovered my hard drive had less than 10% available storage.
Cleaned it up to 30% available and amazing all problems resolved.
I did have Virtual memory set high as well 20Gb which was most probably creating the problem along with no disk space available.

Cubase 8.5 works well, no issues at all.

Cubase pro 8.5
Steinberg Mr816csx sound card
Intel core i7 3.6GHz
32Gb Ram
128 SSD
3x 1 Tb harddisks
Windows 7 64bit
MonkeyShine Studios Boskruin

Nullset

Post by Nullset »

I recently switched systems. From AMD to Intel and I had less issues with the Intel. However, the Intel system is much newer so it probably runs on 8.5.2 better in general. The new system does have an NVidia graphics card and I experience the spike issue. It's only when I have VSTi's though, when I make a project with just guitars, drums, vocals, etc. I don't seem to have the issue. Even if I put a bunch of plug-ins on the system.

In some other threads some people were referencing the last Windows 10 update as the possible culprit. This might be true, but I didn't do a lot with VSTi until recently. I'm hoping cubase can find the issue eventually.
System Specs:
Sweetwater Creation Station CS450
Intel i7-8700 CPU @3.20GHz
64 GB of RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Cubase 10.0.5 Pro

Sintie

Post by Sintie »

Has this problem been resolved yet? I could not find any other reference on the forum, or anywhere else on the net, including Steinberg FAQ. With a single Cubase track, I get the message "Recording Error: Audio dropout detected" after about 1 1/2 minutes of recording. This is repeatable even if I remove the audio input (i.e., blank recording). I have no spikes. LatencyMon reports there should be no issues. My system is:

WIN 10
Intel i5 6600
Cubase Pro 8.5.2
8 GB Ram

This appears to be a Steinberg issue.........

Sintie

Sintie

Post by Sintie »

Oh, I forgot to include audio interface is Scarlet 18i8
Sintie

Return to “Issues”