ISSUE - Cubase 8 not completely closing

Use this forum for an overview of collected issues and to report new ones.
So No Music 2

ISSUE - Cubase 8 not completely closing

Post by So No Music 2 »

I was using Cubase 8 today and had to open and close it several times throughout the day as I was doing work in other applications.

I happened to open my Task Manager this evening and there were six or seven instances of Cubase 8 running.

Cubase 8 pro
Win 8.1
Core I7 980x
Nvidia 680GTX
24 gigs of ram

Just thought I'd report this.

KT66

Re: ISSUE - Cubase 8 not completely closing

Post by KT66 »

I noticed a similar problem. Tonight Cubase 8 froze on shutdown and I had to use Task Manager to force it closed. I noticed afterwards that the Cubase 8 process was still running and I couldn't cancel it. A reboot was required.
Dave

eddiemacarthur

Post by eddiemacarthur »

I've had this problem intermittently with all versions of Cubase since around 6 I think. Often have to go to task manager, close Cubase and synsopos, then try 3 or 4 times to close it. If I try to reinstate Cubase before it finishes (clients sitting behind me impatiently!) then it brings up a load of error messages about UAD plugins still in use, so I have to reboot. Total pain...
PC, windows 7 & 8.1 64 bit. Cubase 7.07, 7.5, 8 Pro. MOTU 2408 x 3 Audio I/O
www.stealthrecordingstudio.com

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

It's sure not behaving the same way 7.5 did.

What's odd is that it worked fine all day and I didn't have any problems closing it. I just happened to close it several times to work in other software throughout the day.

I was surprised to see all those instances of it running in Task Manager that night.

My project was pretty simple, too, just VO and music. I was using Slate VCC and VTM, and one instance of the Vienna Suite x64 compressor. Same stuff I use in 7.5 all the time.

eddiemacarthur

Post by eddiemacarthur »

correction; I'm not saying I see 6 or 7 cubases running, just that Cubase often doesn't close properly when I quit. ed
PC, windows 7 & 8.1 64 bit. Cubase 7.07, 7.5, 8 Pro. MOTU 2408 x 3 Audio I/O
www.stealthrecordingstudio.com

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

Well, here you go. I did this by simply opening Cubase 8, opening the project and closing it then repeating that process. For each time I did it I get another instance left open. No errors or anything.
Cubase 8 multiple.PNG
(43.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet

vespesian

Post by vespesian »

How are you closing cubase?

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

From the menu? File - Exit

Is this a trick question?

hve

Post by hve »

I had this issue in C7.5 and C8 solution for this is :

- dissable Steinberg Hub
- dissable ASIO Guard!

cheers,

Hans

vespesian

Post by vespesian »

So No Music 2 wrote:From the menu? File - Exit

Is this a trick question?
Uh, no...I actually wanted to know. What happens if you use alt + f4?

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

vespian, sorry, I misunderstood. No alt+f4 still leaves it running.

hve, I disabled Asio guard (always have Hub disabled) and even tried disabling Asio guard and Multiprocessing, still left it in memory.

But I did try an empty project and it closed. So it must have something to do with one of the plugs in the project. But they're the same I've used in every 7.5 project and never had a glitch.

I'll have to figure out which one next week when I have more time. I'll report back if I ever figure it out.

hve

Post by hve »

Oh sorry then, good luck with it, yes maybe a plugin issue.

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Have you read the Cubase 8 Pro 'Known Issues' document?
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

No. Where do I find that?

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

The Cubase 8 download page; also where the readme file can be had. These support documents should always be read before buying and installing a given software, otherwise, you're not doing your homework.
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=d ... _pro_8&L=1
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

Brihar,

I appreciate the help (and the life lesson), but there's nothing in those documents that would have indicated Cubase 8 not shutting down completely for any reason. I would have bought it anyway, even if I did my homework.

It's specific to a plug, or the fact that I imported an old project. I'll figure it out.

Thanks anyway.

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

There is a known issue of Cubase freezing/not closing when a given project is opened twice in a row.
BON-2926

Seemed to accurately cover the problem as you described at the beginning of the thread.
;)

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 »

No. This is different. Even if I only open this project once, then close Cubase 8 (with it exiting normally), the application remains running in the task manager.

I'll figure it out. Thanks.

So No Music 2

Re: ISSUE - Cubase 8 not completely closing - FOUND WHY!

Post by So No Music 2 »

Finally tracked it down to the Vienna Suite x64 Compressor. As soon as I removed it from the project, Cubase 8 closed properly. All the other plugs worked fine.

Hopefully, Steinberg can look into this.

One thing I'll add. This suite is on the same elicenser as Cubase, if it matters.

So No Music 2

Re: ISSUE - Cubase 8 not completely closing - Found the fix!

Post by So No Music 2 »

Found the fix. Just had to take the plug out and reload it back into the project.

pshell

Post by pshell »

This consistently happens to me also with Cubase 8. I don't remember it happening with Cubase 7.x. I often load my project, quit Cubase, then later load the same one again. Several instances of Cubase 8 show up in the Task Manager even though its windows disappear. When I tried starting a blank new Cubase project and then quitting, it *didn't* linger. So this appears to support the theory that some plugins are involved.

I wonder what Steinberg's QA team has found out?

I have Cubase 8 pro (v8.0.10 build 427 64-bit) and Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.
Pete Shell
Pittsburgh, PA.

rocknout

Post by rocknout »

I have this issue lately with Cubase 9 Artist . I was thinking of upgrading to Pro but not when this issue occurs to me everyday I use Cubase This is not a plugin issue since I can open an empty project close it and the cubase window refuses to close

JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I find cubase 9.5 Elements opens with hub and then choose empty project.
Ok that and you are in.

When closing down the main screen goes but there is another instance of the top menu at top of screen still open .
Why cant you exit Cubase in one go instead of two.

Also why cant cubase 9.5 remember your asio settings like other daws.
I have to make a focusrite scarlett template and have to choose that everytime I use Cubase. Another annoyance. :roll:

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

Your post doesn't really have anything to do with what's being discussed in this thread.

The first click closes your maximized project. The second one closes Cubase. Press Ctrl+Q to close Cubase in one go.

Cubase does remember your ASIO settings.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

JohnS

Post by JohnS »

How do i get cubase asio settings to stick on opening a project.??

I put my in and out In then closed down cubase.
Restarted and It goes to a default somehow
If I save as template it Is ok
I am new on this forum and just loaded up Cubase today as I am a Ex Sonar user
Cubase is quite confusing to start out

All the best
John

Return to “Issues”