Workflow & Template tips thread 2016

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Laserkraft

Bounce MIDI or Audio (Selection) with single Key Command

Post by Laserkraft »

TASK
Use a single key command to:
- join/bounce selected MIDI clips/events into a single new one if you invoke it on MIDI events
- join/bounce selected Audio clips/events or a selected range into a new one if you invoke it on Audio events.
This is essentially mimicking Ableton Live's "join" command (CTRL/CMD + J)

SOLUTION
Create a macro:
- MIDI > Bounce MIDI
- Audio > Bounce

It is important to put these in the correct order, otherwise it only works for audio and not for MIDI (i have no idea why, and it drove me crazy until i realized it makes a difference).
I guess you could also choose "Audio > Events to part" instead of "Audio > Bounce" if you want it to work non-destructively.
C 9.5 / Win 10 Custom PC / OS X MacBook Pro

Laserkraft

Quick 'n easy Shared MIDI/Looping like Ableton Live or Logic

Post by Laserkraft »

TASK
Drag an MIDI event's edge to have it repeat/"loop" by creating shared copies.

SOLUTION
Hold either ALT+SHIFT or SHIFT only while dragging the middle right edge of an event (which usually repeats individual copies of the event, if SHIFT is not held).

*EDITED*
Last edited by Laserkraft on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vespesian

Re: Quick 'n easy Shared MIDI/Looping like Ableton Live or L

Post by vespesian »

Laserkraft wrote:TASK
Drag an MIDI event's edge to have it repeat/"loop" by creating shared copies.

SOLUTION
- Go to "Preferences > Tool Modifiers > Size Objects"
- Assign a modifier key to "Common Position"
- Hold the assigned modifier key while dragging the middle right edge of an event (which usually repeats individual copies of the event, if no modifier is held)

Can't you just do this via drag and shift-alt?

Laserkraft

Re: Workflow & Template tips thread 2016

Post by Laserkraft »

I don't know what the default behaviour is. I have customized most of my modifier keys because i come from other DAWs. At least i didn't know that you can do it this way.
I only knew the "Edit > repeat" Key Command to create shared copies, which involves additional clicking.

Maybe it's helpful to others like me who didn't know or just want to know where to customize it ;).

EDIT: Seems like it has nothing to do with the "Common Position" modifier key but is the default behaviour :D At least it works with both, ALT+SHIFT or SHIFT only here, if i set "Common Position" to "none".

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 »

1. I found a very useful feature to have my orchestral templates organized in folders, then with the logical editor I can make macros to show just violins, brass, etc. (They hide any folder that don't have the word "violins" and so on

Then, the best part, I have macros to add the other folders to that visibility config. So I can show nothing but violins, and add woodwinds only. Really useful.

Pair that with lemur or touchosc and becomes more intuitive.

2. I also saved every section and library to track presets (the option to save a group of instrument tracks together), so, if I am working in a rock project but would like a touch of woodwins (nice example!) I can import them in order, color coded, with expression maps, and delete the tracks I won't use.
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

Manike

Post by Manike »

Pablo1980 wrote:1. I found a very useful feature to have my orchestral templates organized in folders, then with the logical editor I can make macros to show just violins, brass, etc. (They hide any folder that don't have the word "violins" and so on

Then, the best part, I have macros to add the other folders to that visibility config. So I can show nothing but violins, and add woodwinds only. Really useful.

Pair that with lemur or touchosc and becomes more intuitive.

2. I also saved every section and library to track presets (the option to save a group of instrument tracks together), so, if I am working in a rock project but would like a touch of woodwins (nice example!) I can import them in order, color coded, with expression maps, and delete the tracks I won't use.
very nice!
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Catalina : Cubase10.5.20 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Catalina
http://www.manikemusic.com

metrosuperstar

Post by metrosuperstar »

raino wrote:
Stephen57 wrote: I've recently added a set of disabled Instrument Tracks to my template. VSTi's that I almost always use are on enabled tracks, but the next tier down, instruments I frequently but not always use, are on the disabled tracks.
I just setup an orchestral template to use with a few Kontakt instances as Rack Instruments... and it took 5 minutes to load the template LOL. I would like to apply your suggested tip of "disabling" certain tracks because it makes sense, after all, it's unlikely I will program every instrument in the same session.

Problem is, I don't think this is doable with the way I've set things up (using Rack Instruments)... only tracks I can disable are the MIDI tracks that go along with them... is this what you are referring to? Would disabling the MIDI tracks speed up loading the template, or does your approach work better if I was using Track Instruments because its "Instrument" tracks, not MIDI tracks that need to be disabled?
High-Performance and Ultra Quiet PC Which I Built Myself.... Fractal Design Define R3 | Seasonic X-650 Gold | Noctua NH-D14 Cooler | 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz | Intel Coffee Lake i7-9700K OC'd to 4.9 GHz | Asus Prime Z390-A | Crucial MX300 1TB (OS + Programs) | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Caviar Black 4TB x2 | WD Caviar Black 5TB | Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP | Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10

Laserkraft

Post by Laserkraft »

I think the latter. Just try it quickly yourself. Save a new version of your template and replace all rack instruments with instrument track-instruments and disable them. See what difference it makes when loading. If it's worth it, you can do the fine tweaking of your new template.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

raino wrote:
Stephen57 wrote: Templates are very helpful. I have several at this point and use depending on the kind of project I'm starting or what I'm trying to learn better.

My primary Template is called "Song Starter" and is set-up much like yours is. -- It includes a basic set of assigned instruments, audio tracks, routing, chord, marker and arranger tracks.. It takes a moment to load, but it's a great way to have a good starting points created automatically. I also have other Templates for other tasks and "research" if you will.
+1 for well thought out templates. I keep a notepad at hand where I jot down changes I want to make to my template(s). Then every six months or so I go in and update the template. Always learning new Cubase stuff (even after many many years) and periodic template updates help capture that.

I've recently added a set of disabled Instrument Tracks to my template. VSTi's that I almost always use are on enabled tracks, but the next tier down, instruments I frequently but not always use, are on the disabled tracks.
Great idea about the "disabled tracks." I saw a youtube vid that showed a huge orchestral template, but many tracks were kept disabled until needed -- very smart. P.S. cool new Avatar, the other one's also good.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

I had a basic MIDI Editing question and this thread has some very valuable information -- worth seeing.
H/T: to Vic and Brian Roland for generously sharing their knowledge. :-)

viewtopic.php?f=226&t=92171

Short story: From the main project window, experiment with "sizing moves contents" and "sizing applies time stretch.:
Take a simple part in straight eighth notes and make it play in 16th and so on. But, there's a lot more -- particularly making better use of the Logical Editors in Cubase.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

Another template tip ... set up visibility agents and assign them to keys. My orchestra template kind of combines the disabled instances approach with visibility agent hot keys.
For each of the following I have a wide range of libraries loaded with MIDI tracks, remote VEP instances and various Expression maps, audio routings, plugin presets etc.., all disabled and folderized.
Alt+1 = Strings
Alt+2 = Brass
Alt+3 = Woodwinds
Alt+4 = Drums/Percussion
Alt+5 = Keys/Synths
Alt+6 = Bass/Guitar
Alt+7 = Vocals
Alt+8 = Group Submixes, FX Sends

I can easily flip between "types" of setups. Then I can use the "Show tracks with data" filter once I start enabling particular libraries. Syncing that with one of the mixer views makes it really easy to have both a huge set of instruments on tap and still be able to get it into viewable sets. And, having everything start disabled makes the template load fast.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

metrosuperstar

Post by metrosuperstar »

JMCecil wrote:Another template tip ... set up visibility agents and assign them to keys. My orchestra template kind of combines the disabled instances approach with visibility agent hot keys.
For each of the following I have a wide range of libraries loaded with MIDI tracks, remote VEP instances and various Expression maps, audio routings, plugin presets etc.., all disabled and folderized.
Alt+1 = Strings
Alt+2 = Brass
Alt+3 = Woodwinds
Alt+4 = Drums/Percussion
Alt+5 = Keys/Synths
Alt+6 = Bass/Guitar
Alt+7 = Vocals
Alt+8 = Group Submixes, FX Sends

I can easily flip between "types" of setups. Then I can use the "Show tracks with data" filter once I start enabling particular libraries. Syncing that with one of the mixer views makes it really easy to have both a huge set of instruments on tap and still be able to get it into viewable sets. And, having everything start disabled makes the template load fast.
I'm assuming you are using Track Instruments (not Rack Instruments) ?
High-Performance and Ultra Quiet PC Which I Built Myself.... Fractal Design Define R3 | Seasonic X-650 Gold | Noctua NH-D14 Cooler | 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz | Intel Coffee Lake i7-9700K OC'd to 4.9 GHz | Asus Prime Z390-A | Crucial MX300 1TB (OS + Programs) | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Caviar Black 4TB x2 | WD Caviar Black 5TB | Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP | Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

metrosuperstar wrote: I'm assuming you are using Track Instruments (not Rack Instruments) ?
Yes. As some of you may know, I am a hater of the Track Instrument. But basically because of track preset and disable/enable capability, I've started using them warts and all.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

metrosuperstar

Post by metrosuperstar »

JMCecil wrote:
metrosuperstar wrote: I'm assuming you are using Track Instruments (not Rack Instruments) ?
Yes. As some of you may know, I am a hater of the Track Instrument. But basically because of track preset and disable/enable capability, I've started using them warts and all.
OK thanks for clarifying. I prefer the workflow of Rack as well but with the ability to disable as you mention... it may just be enough to entice me to convert over to the dark side!

airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

So, I'm sticking with the rack whilst it's available as it's the only way I see to deal with the various articulations. Obviously keyswitches are preferable but some libs just don't have useful ones.
How do you keep it tidy with tracks?
Koby drums, Triggera Krigg, Bix, megadrum, Kontakt. samples from All and Sundry.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

airflamesred wrote:So, I'm sticking with the rack whilst it's available as it's the only way I see to deal with the various articulations. Obviously keyswitches are preferable but some libs just don't have useful ones.
How do you keep it tidy with tracks?
Can you give some details about articulations you can achieve using racks but not instruments?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

raino wrote: Can you give some details about articulations you can achieve using racks but not instruments?
For example, Cello might need stacato, spic, sustain and legato. So I would use 1 Kontakt instance, the 4 nki's (on different midi channels) and one midi track. I just change the channels of the notes in the piano roll. So the cello line is all in one place.
Does this work with tracks? I'm on day 3 with ver8.5 so haven't explored fully.
Koby drums, Triggera Krigg, Bix, megadrum, Kontakt. samples from All and Sundry.

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

Guys,

What are your tracking workflow tips? In recent years I migrated to tracking solely in pro tools, as I was working in studios I done this to speed up my efficiency.. But I still remain in cubase for all composing and production .. I had a session these last few days where I tracked the vocals in cubase... And now im slower at tracking in cubase than PT lol.

Some questions..

Do you typically have a record track so that you can hear the mic at all times, during record and or playback.. For example with tape machine style you cant hear the singer during playnback if the wish to say stop or something to that effect.

Is there a dialog box similar to PT when duplicating a track not to include versions etc? I found that duplicating tracks to record new stuff on was a little messy because it carried all the versions with it and caused some issues later on..

I would love to hear your tracking tips and tricks for a sound workflow.. I also find that the cursor sometimes isnt as efficient as PT and would like to be able to set that to either go back to where it started or to stop where i stop i forget this setting in cubase..

And lastly is there a way to play from the cursor or do we always have to go up to the timeline to select where we want to play from?

These are things I am ashamed to say i dont know how to do in Cubase.

PS is there modifier key used to lock a part on the arrangement window to its current position when moving from on track to another?

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 »

airflamesred wrote:
raino wrote: Can you give some details about articulations you can achieve using racks but not instruments?
For example, Cello might need stacato, spic, sustain and legato. So I would use 1 Kontakt instance, the 4 nki's (on different midi channels) and one midi track. I just change the channels of the notes in the piano roll. So the cello line is all in one place.
Does this work with tracks? I'm on day 3 with ver8.5 so haven't explored fully.
You can do this with expression maps, I have them for all my libraries, you can set keyswitches that change the channel of your kontakt instance, or you can edit in the piano roll with the articulation lane or a drop down menu. It even tell you which articulation you are using, just select the notes and choos pizz for example. You can also have stacked arts, etc

And of course all the pros of instrument tracks, when steinberg fixes the expression maps not being remembered when you enable disabled tracks.
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

And of course all the pros of instrument tracks, when steinberg fixes the expression maps not being remembered when you enable disabled tracks.
It's fixed.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

profezeus

Post by profezeus »

It's not fixed. Fabio said that it will be fixed in 8.5.20.
System 1: Custom ADK 9700Z Laptop with 4 internal SSD's, i7-4790K CPU, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface - Windows 8.1 64bit, Cubase Pro 10.5.20 & 10.0.60
System 2: Custom ADK 8600 Laptop with 3 internal SSD's, i7-2820QM CPU, 16GB RAM, RME Babyface - Windows 7 64bit, Cubase Pro 9.5.50
VSL, VEP5, East West CC, Arturia V Collection etc., CC121, various electronic and acoustic instruments.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Hm. I thought this was fixed for 8.5.10. This did start working correctly here on my system in 8.5.10. (I couldn't find Fabio's post about the fix coming in 8.5.20)

I just tried this repro and it did work, on my setup:

Create
-- 3 Instrument Tracks (I routed them to Kontakt)
-- 1 Rack Instrument (I used HSSE)
-- 4 MIDI tracks (I routed 3 to one of the INs I just created, and one to the Rack instrument)
-- Assign an expression map to each
-- Disable all those tracks
- Save
- Quit
- Launch Cubase, open file
- Enable said tracks

Expression maps are loaded, Input routing is loaded.

Kilgurt

Post by Kilgurt »

Saving the sections of the orchestral template as a track archive from instrument tracks is very useful. Has anybody any idea how to preserve the colors of the tracks when re-importing the tracks via "track archive"? I experimented but I never figured out how to reproduce it consistently :mrgreen: .
C 10.5 / Nuendo 10 / WL - Win 10 i7-6590x -64 gb, Dante audio PCI / Rednet

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

SteveInChicago wrote:Hm. I thought this was fixed for 8.5.10. This did start working correctly here on my system in 8.5.10. (I couldn't find Fabio's post about the fix coming in 8.5.20)

I just tried this repro and it did work, on my setup:

Create
-- 3 Instrument Tracks (I routed them to Kontakt)
-- 1 Rack Instrument (I used HSSE)
-- 4 MIDI tracks (I routed 3 to one of the INs I just created, and one to the Rack instrument)
-- Assign an expression map to each
-- Disable all those tracks
- Save
- Quit
- Launch Cubase, open file
- Enable said tracks

Expression maps are loaded, Input routing is loaded.
At first Cubase seems to remember.
Try unloading and loading a few times and it doesn’t.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I've disabled, saved, quit, relaunched, enabled saved, etcetera, a few times. Once enabled, all tracks have their routing and exp maps.

I did notice that disabled tracks showed Not Connected (which is not logical), but once enabled all was correct.

Return to “General”