curteye wrote:Aloha guys,
Why not just wait a lil while for the 'free' demo version
and see if that works for you?
Welp, this is the problem - there is no "demo version" as of yet, and it looks like it won't be available anytime soon either. This is IMO not a good move.
C7 took up to 4 months until the demo was out, C7.5 was available within 2 months. A lot of people can't wait and jump on an upgrade - then it can go two ways from there:
a) people get burned (like it also happened with C7),
b) people are happy.
Two different camps fighting against each other. And you can read various outbursts on web boards. This is in my opinion not really great marketing. Maybe something needs to be covered up? Or the company trusts in the users to be happy with what they are getting. But reading the comments on issues, it seems to be the other way around. I would have acted way sooner already - shifted release cycles (extend it rather than stay within 2 years), changed the .5 upgrade model to something more fleshed out.
To me, C8 at this point - from what I've seen/read (no access to a demo, so no further comment on pro's/con's) - looks to me like C7.75 Beta rather than a fully fledged release. And I don't understand why this has to be the case.
Sadly, Wavelab is now going a similar route, at an alarming pace even.
Another thing that currently doesn't swing with me, is the lack of a "boxed upgrade" to at least a .0 version.
Let's assume I sit C8 out, since it seems even less polished than C7 (I feel like ported back to SX1 and SX2 days, I rather sit this one out). So I wait for C9.0 and want a boxed version from C7.5. But there isn't any as of the current route that Steinberg is going as company. The future seems to be DLC?
I can understand the hassle for all dot-upgrades (.5), but so far only the full version is "boxed", no upgrade.
Add to that, various issues with control devices, handling, the mixing console seems to be further disimproved (I heard a lot of horror stories from fellows on KVR Audio!). Now I read that Mackie MCU is causing even more issues (I already had that in C7.0 with Mackie babyHUI - until I found out with Humatic TouchDAW, that there are two modes to select: Cubase and Compatibility - which didn't help much) - so I need to consider rebuying hardware controllers again?!
The more I read about C8, the more I actually want to test it BEFOREHAND this time around and not buy it out of confidence, then try to work out the issues for the coming months. But I can't, since there is no demo!
Maybe we're at the brink of a "relaunch" of Cubase again?
By that I mean a complete recode from scratch as it happened with VST5 to SX1. Sometimes I really hope that this is the case - but then I am being remembered of what happened with SX1 and SX2 (barely any hardware integration - essential for me!), and how long I had to bridge the time until SX3. Back then, there weren't that many host alternatives.
Rumdrum wrote:I know there are opposite experiences (confirmed in this forum many times), but all the feedback from professionals I have from both music business and design business report of less trouble with software on MAC than PC. The total environment counts. OS, discs and which software you place on which discs also seem important. The more complex it gets, the more the advantage of a more unified component world of the MAC seems to come into play.
This raises some red flags for me, as Steinberg once thought to only "stick to Macintosh". Last time was early 2000s IIRC. Personally, I'm an avid PC user - as it's simpler/cheaper to upgrade as well. Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be any further indication of a possible PC discontinuation. And Win7 is also still supported - so, yeah.
But this could actually clear why most recent Cubase versions are not available as boxed version, but rather DLC only... Apple's focus on digital distribution. iMac (Generation 7 and up) and the Mac Pro's don't come with an optical drive anymore. Microsoft might go a similar route at this point (USB flashdrive installation).
Something I actually don't mind - but a box in the shelf is still shiny. But then again - why only selling the/a new full version boxed? And then as optical disk still?
I really hope that Steinberg releases a Demo around Winter NAMM 2015. Waiting isn't easy, but I will do that this time around. And hopefully, for the sake of fellow Cubase users, the maintenance updates will also be in monthly cycles, not bi-monthly to 3 months. Especially if you have an eye on reported issues.
YMMV of course.