Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
curteye
External Moderator

Re: Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post by curteye »

thomas.crossley wrote:I have problems opening projects in 64bit mode. Running C8P in 32bit seems to be solid enough to be able to work on,
Aloha t,

And exactly the same prob(s) here, on starting C8 or opening a project in 64 bit;
while 32 bit seems to be fine.

However once the project is up-and-running (in 64 bit using Safe Start Mode)
I have worked for hours in C8 without any probs at all.

Also I believe my start-up prob must be my specific ax (see sig) because I got a new
laptop for xmas (running Yosemite) and both C8 and C8.05 are flawless on it.

Once SampleTank 3 becomes 'officially' Yosemite compatible, I will change the desktop's OS
from 10.9 to 10.10 and maybe things will then clear.

Good Luck!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

nick galea

Post by nick galea »

I feel Horrible posting this... The New Cubase is So buggy..

The Team have done so well & Features are unmatched.. Sound Quality is unmatched.
honestly though.. im spending 16hrs a day on this as i have alot of stuff & it's crashing pausing.. Costing me Time.

The full System just locked up, i lost control of my mouse & keyboard.. it's as if Cubase just lost connection..

I had it looping, it kept going.. I pulled all the dongles out Ilok & syncro & it kept looping with No response..

I actually very upset by this, considering i buy every update & since 6.5 I have not used the updates..
I buy them to support Cubase & Steinberg as a company to get right, So i can enjoy making music stress free.

No one put a gun to my head to buy it no.. but I want to use something i bought.
honestly would you buy a car with a shoddy engine like this?
it has a rattle would you keep at the car.. Yeah right.. straight back to the dealer.. new one thanks.

I hate being negative & again cubase is a amazing Daw.. it's just so buggy..

compared to Ableton & really it's not that great & it's pdc delay is horrible & cpu problems.. it works better then cubase.

you can freeze & render in place. it's quick. it also has it's pit falls as well.

I have been logging & taking videos & pictures of things happening in cubase as i go.

before you say we are in the minority.. and lots of happy cubase guys.. I have a facebook with thousands on there & alot use cubase on my recommendation & yes buggy for them also.

again amazing DAW CUBASE please guys fix it!! get it stable we love you :)
Attachments
Cubase black.png
(104.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet

daze

Post by daze »

Hi, I'm a hobbyist and so far I really love Cubase 8 but I must admit I had some issues too:
Several crashes (but far less than some other users are having), once the CPU meter locked up unexpectedly and I had to restart Cubase, a few times audio stopped unexpectedly, metronome issues (randomly inaudible when starting to record), menu unresponsiveness, audio mixdown incoherencies (had some holes in the generated file when they shouldn't be there) and some other minor strange behaviours.
I'm sure that those issues will be fixed sooner or later and for me it's really not a big deal since I still manage to achieve what I want in the end however I definitely understand why some professional user are *quiz* off.
I think that a software that called itself "pro" should not have those kind of issues when released.
Cubase Pro 8.0.40, I7 2600K, Win10, 8 Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
My Soundcloud

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

nick galea wrote:I feel Horrible posting this... The New Cubase is So buggy..

The Team have done so well & Features are unmatched.. Sound Quality is unmatched.
honestly though.. im spending 16hrs a day on this as i have alot of stuff & it's crashing pausing.. Costing me Time.

The full System just locked up, i lost control of my mouse & keyboard.. it's as if Cubase just lost connection..

I had it looping, it kept going.. I pulled all the dongles out Ilok & syncro & it kept looping with No response..

I actually very upset by this, considering i buy every update & since 6.5 I have not used the updates..
I buy them to support Cubase & Steinberg as a company to get right, So i can enjoy making music stress free.

No one put a gun to my head to buy it no.. but I want to use something i bought.
it has a rattle would you keep at the car.. Yeah right.. straight back to the dealer.. new one thanks.

compared to Ableton & really it's not that great & it's pdc delay is horrible & cpu problems.. it works better then cubase.

you can freeze & render in place. it's quick. it also has it's pit falls as well.

I have been logging & taking videos & pictures of things happening in cubase as i go.

before you say we are in the minority.. and lots of happy cubase guys.. I have a facebook with thousands on there & alot use cubase on my recommendation & yes buggy for them also.

State your system specs in your profile and you might get help. Otherwise you're just ranting (and taking up space)!
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

nick galea

Post by nick galea »

Done. thanks :)
10.10.5 Yosemite
Hackintosh 4790k
Processor 4.4ghz
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ECC
Amd Pulse Rx580 8gb
noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler
2 x Samsung840 1tb Ssd Drives
Uad apollo twin
Uad Satellite Quad,Fabfilter Bundle, Native Instruments komplete 10. Slate Digital

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

Rexgtr wrote:
Bantam wrote:
ie: Ranting for weeks about ripoff companies is maybe not a productive strategy.
We are, apparently, allowed different viewpoints.
Bear with us we're just stupid. OK? But we're not trying to quiz you off. If we had your system in front of us we might have a better clue. Not possible so this is a compromise.
You clearly are a master debater... I never ranted about ripoff companies, nor did I say anyone was stupid!

Yet again you point to all the issues I have and others have as being an issue with our systems and no fault whatsoever of the wonderfully solid release. Cubase "Pro" 8 and the ubber awesome update 8.0.5. :roll:

Continue trolling the forums Bantam, have fun!
I find it interesting that in your enthusiasm to accuse bantam of trolling, you seem to have missed the most interesting point that he made. The Delta 1010 is as old as the hills and the driver is probably not up to the job. It is clear that until you have tested out your own system it is difficult to make any substantial or substantiated complaints against Cubase 8.
I am afraid that 8 works pretty well for me other than a few annoying bugs like the click and the drop-down menu's etc. I have had some other issues but discovered they were to do with older VST plugins and a 32 bit one I was using in mistake for a 64 bit alternative. I am not even sure that I know what your exact problem is as you haven't explained, or at least I haven't seen the explanation. bantam is just telling it from his perspective, which, to be honest, is really all we can do. There really is not much point in coming to this forum and expecting everyone to agree with your point of view.

Another point. Do you disable your Anti-Virus or Malware software when you are recording? This is often a cause of conflicts. Sounds like you have a lot of software on your machine, with possibly many areas of potential problems. I have always tried to limit my machine to the bare essentials for music making. I know that is not always possible, but it does make it a lot easier to trouble shoot.

I don't think that any of us are saying that there is no fault with Cubase, just that a lot of the static is coming from some users who have not explored the possibility that there might be some issue with their own gear. There are general issues like the MCU problem that I can understand, generates a lot of heat from those who use Cubase in the course of their working life. Unfortunately they will have to keep on with 7.5. Inconvenient but not life altering.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

nick galea wrote:Done. thanks :)
I note in your signature that you use Slate plugings. I seem to remember that they have been having a lot of issues with C8.
Perhaps you could try taking the dll's, or whatever are the Mac equivalent,out of the Vst folder and see what happens.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

nick galea

Post by nick galea »

any link to that thread Re-Slate? I know a big update is coming with slate so for now im not using them.
10.10.5 Yosemite
Hackintosh 4790k
Processor 4.4ghz
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ECC
Amd Pulse Rx580 8gb
noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler
2 x Samsung840 1tb Ssd Drives
Uad apollo twin
Uad Satellite Quad,Fabfilter Bundle, Native Instruments komplete 10. Slate Digital

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

nick galea wrote:any link to that thread Re-Slate? I know a big update is coming with slate so for now im not using them.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... te#p422043

enjneer's post - the fifth one. Ithink it was this one but there are others if you search.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

Yes my delta sound card is showing its age, reading up on a replacement that won't cost around $2000 is a challenge though.
Silhouette, when someone (Bantam) accuses me of things I never said and caps it off with sarcasm I usually won't respond in a positive manner.

My main issues mirror those most users have mentioned regardless of soundcard.
I'll try suspending anti virus when using DAW software as I should.

Thanks
PS - I'm not new, I migrated when the old Steinberger dot com changed URL to dot net. A low post count shouldn't indicate "new member"
i7 950 12Gb Ram GTX 580 Windows 7 64bit
Pro Tools 12.3, Cubase Pro 8.05
Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil KSP8 + RSP8, K2600X, Integra 7, Axon AX 100 MKII, AxeFx II, Mackie 1642 VLZ3 mixer, Mbox M-One, MOTU MIDI Xpress 128

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

Rexgtr wrote:Yes my delta sound card is showing its age, reading up on a replacement that won't cost around $2000 is a challenge though.
Silhouette, when someone (Bantam) accuses me of things I never said and caps it off with sarcasm I usually won't respond in a positive manner.

My main issues mirror those most users have mentioned regardless of soundcard.
I'll try suspending anti virus when using DAW software as I should.

Thanks
PS - I'm not new, I migrated when the old Steinberger dot com changed URL to dot net. A low post count shouldn't indicate "new member"
I think most of us have had issues of one sort or another. However, I have seen what has been happening with Pro Tools and Logic and know that there is a lot of unhappiness with their users. The grass is not greener.
Personally I don't think there is any excuse to allow 8 out of the gate with a dodgy click and non functioning MCU(for a second time). I am quite phlegmatic about it and will give them time to sort it. Unfortunately getting hot under the collar will not make that happen any sooner.:twisted:

Personally I would take any comments from other members with a pinch of salt.

Yes I lost a lot of my post count too - my collar was most definitely warm! :evil:

mikemandt

Post by mikemandt »

Svenne wrote:
nick galea wrote:I feel Horrible posting this... The New Cubase is So buggy..

State your system specs in your profile and you might get help. Otherwise you're just ranting (and taking up space)!

Who are you to tell other people they are taking up space? this is a forum for people who have paid $ for a product to talk about issues they might be having. No one needs your permission for anything and hopefully you have something better to do with your time than this

I found his post helpful actually so speak for yourself

mikemandt

Post by mikemandt »

SuStudio wrote:NAMM starts in a few days....too bad most of the people on this thread can't get into the event as it would make an interesting floor show for us attendees.

Call them out! raise your hand and make them address the issue publicly

mikemandt

Post by mikemandt »

lukasbrooklyn wrote: however there is an ever-growing number of actual undeniable bugs in the code that some people, understandably, find hard to swallow. so while some people may be pointing out with fervour their daw runs smooth, it's not like the bugs in the code somehow magically disappeared from their installation. it's just that with their workflow, they haven't encountered them, or they aren't fulltime producers/musicmakers so it may be while before they are presented with those bugs.

well said.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

I really hope the next update addresses the issues with the menu, the click and I'm good.
i7 950 12Gb Ram GTX 580 Windows 7 64bit
Pro Tools 12.3, Cubase Pro 8.05
Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil KSP8 + RSP8, K2600X, Integra 7, Axon AX 100 MKII, AxeFx II, Mackie 1642 VLZ3 mixer, Mbox M-One, MOTU MIDI Xpress 128

xphen0m

Post by xphen0m »

nick galea wrote:any link to that thread Re-Slate? I know a big update is coming with slate so for now im not using them.
I made a thread recently about this. I bought Slate's VBC and VMR over the holiday. The 64 bit versions crashed my Cubase 8. The 32 bit versions work great.

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

mikemandt wrote:I found his post helpful actually so speak for yourself
Then you might be so kind and inform the rest of us about his system. Without that information we can't help him (or anyone else. You included!).
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

themarqueeyears

Post by themarqueeyears »

All my Slate plugins VCC, VBC, VTM and SSD4 and rock solid as VST 2.4 and VST 3 in CP8.0 and now CP8.05.

I should mention I'm running CP8 as a 64bit app and my Slate plugins are all 64bit.

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

I read recently that Sonar has moved to a new way of doing things, promoting a membership plan to get monthly feature releases. To their credit, they didn't pull the sleazy trick Adobe used where once you stop paying the monthly tax, you simply can't use your software anymore. With Sonar, they're putting out new releases every month, but when your membership expires, you still own what you've paid for thus far.

That said, monthly feature releases? Yikes. Man, you think there are problems with Cubase on their roughly half-year release schedule? I'm glad I'm not a Sonar user anymore. I don't care how Agile they think their process is, unless all they're doing for new features is changing the text on a menu, the quality of their releases is going to be a nightmare.
Control Room: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU| CMC AI
Edit Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

Frozenwave

Post by Frozenwave »

Gave up on Cubase 8 and deinstalled it. Seems like Steinberg wants to have a major release every year for christmas, no matter what. Last time for me tho.

Foghead

Post by Foghead »

It is interesting to see how split it is on this topic. Some people seem to think it is ok to spend money on software that does not live up to the claims of the developers and use work arounds to make it work for them. While many of us expect to get what we paid for based on the information that we were given on their sales sites.
I know there are many different system configurations, and everyone doesn't work the same. But basic functions
should work as stated. We all expect a few minor bugs in new software, that's nothing new. I thought Steinberg
would have Cubase Pro 8 debugged better that this. All the new features caught my attention and that is why I
went for it. After a short period of testing it was clear that I could not rely on this on any real projects. I went back
to Nuendo 4. It has been rock solid for years and still is. That is what I expected from Cubase Pro 8. I have used my
different early DAWs over the years and never had this much trouble. From the first days of SSL Screen Sound, Protools, Nuendo 3 and others. I am just very disappointed. Maybe the next update or two will solve the issues.
I will update DAW specs when I have the time to get more info.
But basically a rack mount dedicated system. Intel Core I7 4.6ghz,
water cooled, ASUS Z97, 32 gb ram. Windows 10 64. Motu 424 pcie card,
3 Motu 2408 MKIII,1 Motu HD192, Mackie HUI control surface.

characterstudios

Post by characterstudios »

Sorry for very late response. Not leaving this discussion, was busy over past few weeks.
noiseboyuk wrote:Let me help you there:
Be assured that our opinion on the quality of this release will not be adjusted by the fact that it works fine for you
Sounds pretty irritated to me.
No, all that says is that you can be pretty sure that people who are having problems and feel that C8 was not ready for public release, won't change their opinion because others don't have problems.
noiseboyuk wrote:So to be clear. A thread is started boldly stating (not questioning) that C8 was not ready for public release. Some loudly agree. However, when it is pointed out that many are getting on with it fine - yes, very much including those of us who use it for a living - this is of no relevance whatsoever. Indeed, we are to "be assured" of its irrelvance. Ditto when you compare with competitors at 10x the price yet far worse performance, this is also brushed aside as irrelevant.
I did post that "I have no issues" is a valid response to the initial part of the discussion in this thread. However, people of the opinion that "there are issues, and because of that C8 feels to be released early" were then trying to discuss how the current state could be improved upon in the future. "I have no issues" is irrelevant to that part of the discussion, unless it's used as an argument to not discuss how to improve the current state can be improved upon in the future - which in turn for those that have problems, isn't really an option?
I hope you understand the difference as to what your point "I have no problems" is relevant to, versus what it isn't?
noiseboyuk wrote:It's the definitive point at which this thread demonstrates it has no value.
This thread having no value is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. My opinion is really different, so that does make your point not definitive (let's be precise here, "this is the point for me" would have been more suitable, your point is certainly not "the definitive" point).
More importantly though, if this thread really has no value for you, why do you keep coming back and try to force your opinion that "I have no issues" is sufficient argument to stop any parts of this discussion?
noiseboyuk wrote:Regardless of what facts and opinions are considered, it will not matter.
Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming that through your post.
noiseboyuk wrote:Some folks here want a jolly good rant, and they're going to have it, inconvenient facts be dammned, and shame on us for spoiling that particular ranty party.
Nice rant!
noiseboyuk wrote:As for the idea that now the thread should about turn and become more cerebral and analytical - perhaps starting with a less infantile subject header might be a thought.
Noted. Any valid suggestions for a better header so that you don't need to resort to hyperbole to be able to describe it to your satisfaction?
noiseboyuk wrote:I would love nothing more than to spend 2 hours going through everything else point by point (as we all know there's nothing more intellectually stimulating that reading forum arguments that spiral into ever decreasing circles of petulance after all), but I really must be off to earn that living.
Yep, your post shows clearly that you're not bothered to take the time to read some of the constructive posts in this thread. The little time you have must be spent not on arguing the better points, but rather on cherry-picking things you think are easy to argue in your favour, and spewing more hyperbole on how you're not interested in this thread.

Note that all the time you spent on writing that post, you could have spent on discussing how the current situation could be improved upon. And I would have gladly discussed that with you, or anyone else for that matter.
Steinberg improving the quality of their initial release now - even with zero effect on you - would maybe save you from some issues at the next release, when things maybe don't work out for you as well (and I might have zero issues)... you know what they say about karma.

Anyway, as I already wrote before, I really don't mind your opinion about having no problems. It's just not relevant to the part of the discussion I want to have. Feel free to chime in with some value add as to how Steinberg can ensure the quality of their initial releases can be improved upon in the future?

Regards,

characterstudios

characterstudios

Post by characterstudios »

Foghead wrote:It is interesting to see how split it is on this topic. Some people seem to think it is ok to spend money on software that does not live up to the claims of the developers and use work arounds to make it work for them. While many of us expect to get what we paid for based on the information that we were given on their sales sites.
Yes. Even after resolving some of my problems, C8 still seems to be in Beta. Windows menu bar feels tagged on and is still completely confusing my windows-tab-through routine (after more than 50 hours), VCA-fader/groups are still bizarre, had to disable a bunch of plugins, and also random crashes (yes, I know that last part can be my setup).

If "upgrading to a beta version" for a slightly lower amount than "upgrading to a production version" would be in place, you wouldn't hear me. And with "slightly lower" I really mean slightly lower - I would probably consider a beta-label almost more important, I'm not out to save a penny.

Regards,

characterstudios

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo »

No way to claim this wasn't a broken beta release.

I scheduled a tech support call which happened a week ago. The guy was nice, and I discussed most (but not all) of the major problems. Broken MCU, crashing, freezing meters, windows, ... Know what he said? Yeah, we've heard about that. Yeah, we know. Yeah, thanks for letting us know... Not a single suggestion as to a fix, nor a response to my inquiries as to when various things would be fixed. Nada... Using customers to find flaws. I call that unpaid Beta testing!

Went to NAMM last Saturday and spoke with 2 guys; Greg Ondo and another gent who's card I can't find, but who was introduced as the Cubase products specialist. When I explained how annoyed I was that they released 8 with so many bugs, including the broken MCU integration - and reminded him of the same problems in 7 - he claimed he was surprised. Of course, I had the same discussion with Greg just a week earlier and, apparently, that hadn't crossed anyone's' desk yet... But what amazed me was that the specialist said how overwhelmed they were with all the people coming up to him to say how great 8 was working. REALLY?! He was pleasant, and promised to get back to me. But to be honest, I'm not holding my breath.

The reality is they rushed out a product that had numerous flaws that any real QC would have caught. I'm not saying Steinberg doesn't have real QC. I's saying they do, and knew and didn't care; opting to put out a badly flawed product to sell just before the end of the year. Their bottom line was more important than the bottom lines - and trust - of their customers.

I won't make that mistake again!
Moog IIP, One, and MiniMoog, Dot.Com 110, Cubase 10.0.5, Ableton Live 9.6/64, W10 Pro/64, i75820/GAX99SLI/16Gigs HyperX 2133, 3xSSD, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Novation SL61MKII, and SL41MkII, Slate Raven MTI2, HR824s, NS10Ms, Komplet10, Omnisphere 2.5, RMX, Trilian, MMV, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Variax (heavily customized) JTV69S (the Hexstainocaster) and 700... Hi, I'm Al, and I'm a gear addict...

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

characterstudios wrote:Any valid suggestions for a better header
Sure - "Was Cubase 8 Pro ready for public release?" would be a start (and note the difference). As we're all apparently spending too much time discussing the thread itself, I'll leave response to that.
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

Return to “General”