Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
CubeDAW

Re: Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post by CubeDAW »

What irks me is the need to change it aesthetically which is what is causing problems and just some ugly artifacts in the GUI for me. There was no need for this. I liked the way it looked before.

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn »

CubeDAW wrote:What irks me is the need to change it aesthetically which is what is causing problems and just some ugly artifacts in the GUI for me. There was no need for this. I liked the way it looked before.
the gui of c7 was undoubtedly more disparate what with the 'out of nowhere' mixconsole. personal aesthetics aside, c8 indeed is more cohesive. at the same time, some of the new unified gui elements are more than questionable, like the tiny scrollbars. they look nice but are highly impractical. the gui still needs a lot of work (perhaps most important is 4k compatibility). I think to say c7's gui was good is, objectivelly, wrong.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

TwanV

Post by TwanV »

I see this discussion after each update or version change
and I think most problems are not cubase but system related.
Use your system for Cubase and nothing else.

Cubase Pro 8.0.5 is running fine over here.
I changed bios settings for my max performance,
dissable everything you don't need. Stripped windows 7, no firewall, no defender,
no internet, nothing. It is all humbug and using computer resources.
Update your system with all latest hardware drivers.
Clean install Cubase Pro 8 and there you go....
Windows 10 pro 64bit, Cubase Pro 8.5.15 64bit, Melodyne Studio 4.04.001 64bit.
Intel DX58S02, I7 X990 4,13GHz, 24GB DDR3 1772MHz, Sapphire HD6970.
SSD (OS, Cubase), Raid 4hdx1tb (Plugins), 1hd 1tb Cubase projects,
1hd 1tb Backup,

MR816X

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

TwanV wrote: Use your system for Cubase and nothing else.

dissable everything you don't need. Stripped windows 7, no firewall, no defender,
WORD!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

TwanV wrote:I see this discussion after each update or version change
and I think most problems are not cubase but system related.
Use your system for Cubase and nothing else.

Cubase Pro 8.0.5 is running fine over here.
I changed bios settings for my max performance,
I guess you forgot; no Steinberg Hub and no VST Connect Pro/SE, didn't you. Oh, and I don't think everyone is as filthy rich as you.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

I don't think being filthy rich is a requirement to get C8 running. I think I've only had to do it once but at each new release one has to be prepared for a little alteration of the system, sometimes a lot of alteration.
Whenever you see any new feature set advertised it is worth considering what that entails on your particular computer set up. Try to foresee what might go wrong which is usually fairly predictable. Be prepared for a new version to not work as well as the old version. It's horrible bad luck when it happens, but it does happen.

Luckily for me (though I didn't think so at the time) my old system blew up just before C8 was released (escaped, maybe if this thread is right) so I had a completely fresh installation of everything plus the latest hardware. I would have been very surprised to think C8 was not ready for release but it works perfectly here. That certainly tells me something when I see a thread like this. It's that Cubase is more likely to work if the computer is fairly clean. However, I cannot say the thread is completely wrong because I don't have those systems in front of me to take to bits and check over.

Often a new software version can be screwed up by many things left behind in things like the registry so yes, while Cubase is pretty cheap in my unhumble opinion, You are spending ($100 to upgrade OK) $500 (worth of) or so on a major piece of work which alone is certainly going to do something to your computer's innards.

My bottom line here is if C8 looks that problematic to you I'd give the computer, drivers and software a really good going over, even if C7 works, read the readmes again to see if you've missed a tweak C8 needs.
And clean all that dust out of the vents as well. ;)
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono »

Discoworx wrote:If you didnt do a fresh install, Once you kick around with Cubase long enough, youll start to see the pattern develope.
Fresh Install = 99% of headaches go away.
THIS. And I mean a fresh install of your OS, Latest Chipset drivers and BIOS etc etc

I'm loving C Pro 8.0.5 on Win 8.1 after doing this.
Please make me stop buying stuff.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

Ya know what? All you appologist can go enjoy your perfectly fine operating CB 8.05. Why you insist on rubbing it in our faces that "we" the paid in full comsumers are the problem? I have no words for these replies with how *quiz* off I am right now.

Why does it take so long for Steinberg to update their flawed flagship program? Oh wait, there's apparantly no problem carry on. :roll:
i7 950 12Gb Ram GTX 580 Windows 7 64bit
Pro Tools 12.3, Cubase Pro 8.05
Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil KSP8 + RSP8, K2600X, Integra 7, Axon AX 100 MKII, AxeFx II, Mackie 1642 VLZ3 mixer, Mbox M-One, MOTU MIDI Xpress 128

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono »

Rexgtr wrote:Ya know what? All you appologist can go enjoy your perfectly fine operating CB 8.05. Why you insist on rubbing it in our faces that "we" the paid in full comsumers are the problem? I have no words for these replies with how *quiz* off I am right now.

Why does it take so long for Steinberg to update their flawed flagship program? Oh wait, there's apparantly no problem carry on. :roll:
That's a shame you're having lots of problems. I was having a lot of problems but changed from Win 7 to Win 8.1 so used that as a great excuse to check all my drivers were up to date. They weren't.

Good luck.
Last edited by jono not bono on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please make me stop buying stuff.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

Drivers all up to date, fresh OS windows 7 sp1 on a new SSD 500gb drive here. Unfortunately I do not have space for two computers so my PC has Kaspersky, Firefox, Pro Tools 11 & 10, Cubase 8 & 7.5, iTunes,..
Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil KSP8 + RSP8, K2600X, Integra 7, Axon AX 100 MKII, AxeFx II, Mackie 1642 VLZ3 mixer, Mbox M-One, MOTU MIDI Xpress 128

mikemandt

Post by mikemandt »

Yeah i find the comments in this thread to be very odd to say the least

My computer is brand new, up to date and running everything else perfectly but cubase 8 has a whole SLEW of problems. I paid 99 dollars to upgrade because i saw the bearded ben affleck looking guy in the provolution video going on about how it was the best thing ever

It's extremely buggy and personally I am not happy with steinberg at all. Whats even worse is their lack of acknowledgement on any of these issues (yes i've emailed them and i got some pretty phoned in responses) so many of us are stuck on here arguing with weirdo's who actually take time to log in and give people a hard time for posting about technical issues in the software that they PAID FOR

People pirate software for this very reason. When others ask me about my experience with using steinberg products i am unfortunately going to have to warn them about this. In the grand scheme of things it might not seem like much because I am only one customer, but rest assured things will catch up with you guys if you keep running your company like this. Word gets around on the internet.

The worst part about it is all of the time i've spent getting used to the cubase platform. Switching DAW's will be a real time vampire but if the next update from them wastes my time then i am done with this company forever.

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn »

i think it's important to distinguish between compatibility issues and erratic behaviour that has to be traced to an individual hardware vs software conflict, and actual bugs in the code people can reproduce. for the former type of issue, i guess it's fair to give sb time to investigate the problem and give them the benefit of the doubt.

however there is an ever-growing number of actual undeniable bugs in the code that some people, understandably, find hard to swallow. so while some people may be pointing out with fervour their daw runs smooth, it's not like the bugs in the code somehow magically disappeared from their installation. it's just that with their workflow, they haven't encountered them, or they aren't fulltime producers/musicmakers so it may be while before they are presented with those bugs.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

it's just that with their workflow, they haven't encountered them, or they aren't fulltime producers/musicmakers so it may be while before they are presented with those bugs.
Makes sense. And there are a few ways to work the software too and bugs can be found or missed by different users, even full time users. Even so I still think this was a good release.

chimpspanner

Post by chimpspanner »

silhouette wrote: I have never got on with the basic sound of Guitar Rig and Amplitude is let down badly with the speaker emulation(ir's).
Sorry getting a bit sidetracked here but I got Guitar Rig 5 as part of Komplete 9/10, so now it has Reflektor which can load custom IR's and it's really good! I did some comparisons between TH2, Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5 and the actual amp simulations hold up. Also Control Room Pro actually uses RedWirez IR's. It's strange but they felt different to me once I knew that. The power of suggestion is mighty strong.
http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12GB RAM | 2GB GeForce 740m | Win 10 64-bit | Cubase Pro 8.5

barryfell

Post by barryfell »

lukasbrooklyn wrote:
CubeDAW wrote:What irks me is the need to change it aesthetically which is what is causing problems and just some ugly artifacts in the GUI for me. There was no need for this. I liked the way it looked before.
the gui of c7 was undoubtedly more disparate what with the 'out of nowhere' mixconsole. personal aesthetics aside, c8 indeed is more cohesive. at the same time, some of the new unified gui elements are more than questionable, like the tiny scrollbars. they look nice but are highly impractical. the gui still needs a lot of work (perhaps most important is 4k compatibility). I think to say c7's gui was good is, objectivelly, wrong.
Personally I have no issue with the scrollbars, and i'm glad they are slim. They look good, and I have no problem using them. Fat scroll bars in apps always annoy me.

I can appreciate some people might be less accurate with their cursor aim so they could maybe be a touch wider to suit everyone.
Windows 10 / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

Rexgtr wrote:Ya know what? All you appologist can go enjoy your perfectly fine operating CB 8.05. Why you insist on rubbing it in our faces that "we" the paid in full comsumers are the problem? I have no words for these replies with how *quiz* off I am right now.

If someone informs you their Cubase 8 is working. That's not apologism. It means we see the problem differently, no more. It's information for you and the developers that lets you know that the problem is maybe not a simple as it looks. ie: Ranting for weeks about ripoff companies is maybe not a productive strategy.
We are, apparently, allowed different viewpoints.
Bear with us we're just stupid. OK? But we're not trying to quiz you off. If we had your system in front of us we might have a better clue. Not possible so this is a compromise.

I'm not too sure but I think I recently spotted in another thread you use a Delta 1010. I'm pretty sure this has been discontinued and although the old unsupported drivers may work they might be out of date or on the cusp.
I think I've an old one stored somewhere so if you need a spare part anytime...

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea »

Rexgtr wrote:
Ya know what? All you appologist can go enjoy your perfectly fine operating CB 8.05. Why you insist on rubbing it in our faces that "we" the paid in full comsumers are the problem? I have no words for these replies with how *quiz* off I am right now.

It is the matter of reacting nice and calm, many times there is shouting en unpolite words.

For that manner if you look at the nuendo forum almost all members stay relaxed and polite, so Steiny employees regulary chime in, why o why do we not see steinberg on this subsection of the forum.

Makes one think doesn't it?
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

For the record I didn't say quizzed off, that was a Steinie filter for a harsh word such as "p i s s e d o f f"
I paid in full and then some as a long time Cubase supporter and I am getting frustrated of the constantly crashing App.

So I can conclude from the latest chimer that all my CBP 8 issues stem from using a Delta 1010 soundcard? Thanks, is there an ignore button?
I can also take that its posts like mine that "Steinie employies don't participate in these forums" again no words. Again.

So there you have it, no problem. everythings just fine. Paid my money and I can sit on my hands waiting for the month Steinie decides to take pitty and fix their flagship software.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

Bantam wrote:
ie: Ranting for weeks about ripoff companies is maybe not a productive strategy.
We are, apparently, allowed different viewpoints.
Bear with us we're just stupid. OK? But we're not trying to quiz you off. If we had your system in front of us we might have a better clue. Not possible so this is a compromise.
You clearly are a master debater... I never ranted about ripoff companies, nor did I say anyone was stupid!

Yet again you point to all the issues I have and others have as being an issue with our systems and no fault whatsoever of the wonderfully solid release. Cubase "Pro" 8 and the ubber awesome update 8.0.5. :roll:

Continue trolling the forums Bantam, have fun!

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

LOL, speaks volumes. :mrgreen:

characterstudios wrote:
Bantam wrote:I wonder how anyone gets anything done at all. Must be hell. Good luck.
Was wondering the same about you too, after all it's you that takes the time to troll a discussion that you clearly have no intention to add any value to.

Nonetheless, good luck to you too!

Regards,

characterstudios

tarbey

Post by tarbey »

Most of you have probably upgraded from 7.5 to 8 and already have Padshop and Retrologue installed. If you just install Cubase 8 it does not install Padshop or Retrologue. In fact it does not even give you the option for these like 7.5 does?

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio »

NAMM starts in a few days....too bad most of the people on this thread can't get into the event as it would make an interesting floor show for us attendees.
Cubase 10 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.5 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.14
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Quad MKII, G-Tech Raid, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

tarbey wrote:Most of you have probably upgraded from 7.5 to 8 and already have Padshop and Retrologue installed. If you just install Cubase 8 it does not install Padshop or Retrologue. In fact it does not even give you the option for these like 7.5 does?
I think the installer senses those VSTi's are already installed.
I upgraded from Cubase 6 (no Steinberg software on my fresh OS, installed CB 8 then installed 7.5, installer noted all that was already on my system that didn't need to be installed twice.

tarbey

Post by tarbey »

My installation files were corrupted. I have redownloaded and all is fine now.

thomas.crossley

Post by thomas.crossley »

I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents on this thread, even though it will probably be the same as other peoples response (thread TL;DR)

I bought C8P literally 5 mins after it was released onto the Steinberg shop and started into it almost immediately. I had extreme issues with my midi in/out, sync, massive crashes, you name it. Instead of troubleshooting, I reverted back to 7.5.2 in a huff, livid that my paid upgrade was basically useless.

When 8.0.5 came out, I rejoiced and prayed that all the issues I had encountered on day 0 would be fixed. Alas, I was wrong. In fact, I seemed to be experiencing increased problems.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I did a complete reinstall of my OS (Mavericks), installed C8P (8.0.0) and carefully tested each plugin to see what would be causing any problems. I still had issues with my midi but narrowed it down to a problem with the active settings on my virus ti synth in the midi preferences. Deactivating this has solved my problems with midi.

Additionally, I found that NI Replika was a massive culprit in causing extreme crashes in C8P. It would affect performance and would stop projects from loading if there was an instance present in the project at all ie it would crash before even loading up the project arrangement window.

I have since removed Replika, I'm not that bothered as it was a freebie and to be honest I prefer the Vengeance Delay & Cubase's own delay. I am still experiencing some crashes, mostly when I try to open a C7 or C7.5 project and occasionally I have problems opening projects in 64bit mode. Running C8P in 32bit seems to be solid enough to be able to work on, although I am still getting a few crashes per day.

I did try the update 8.0.5 but this was causing to many crashes so I rolled back. I will patiently await the next update.

Overall, I am pretty happy with C8P (8.0.0). As I have already said, I do get some annoying crashes, GUI on vsts going black, opening piano roll etc on big projects tends to turn the screens white (this is a strange one) BUT I am no longer screaming for blood at Steinberg. There are some amazing features in C8P, render in place is such a god send and really has increased my workflow. The instrument & mediabay racks are a novelty at first, but I have since removed them as I don't feel they are needed if you are used to key shortcuts (F5 mediabay etc).

I'd say i'm about 80% happy with this version, which I think for a 0.0 release, thats pretty good lol. I eagerly await the next update to see if the major flaws have been addressed, but in the meantime C8P is usable and happy with that!
Mac Mini 2.6Ghz Intel Core I7 | 16Gb Ram | OSX 10.8.4 | Cubase 7.5.1 | TC Powercore Firewire | Access Virus Ti Snow | Access Virus C Desktop | Novation K-Station | Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard | TC Electronic SK48 | Logic Pro 9.1.8

Return to “General”