Help Creating Outputs to AUX to Print Track

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
fretthefret

Re: Help Creating Outputs to AUX to Print Track

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:oh that's right. It would only affect CP8.

The SSL works via an Ethernet cable. No midi connections.
LOL! Yes ok I got that from the ipMIDI. Which is MIDI over Ethernet rather than the usual 5 pin connector cable or USB.

So yes you do have MIDI working but it is ipMIDI.
To get the transport functions you also need the USB attached. Which will make the transport buttons act as a second USB Keyboard on the Mac.
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

lol, I didn't even know that. I guess I'll need a powered USB cable cause the Mac Pro is in another room.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Hey Fret, I have a USB cable going from the Matrix to the Mac, but the Transport on the Matrix isn't working. Is there a special box to check in Cubase to make this happen?

Thanks!

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

@Dean,
just got your message.
There "shouldn't be" anything more to do.
The USB connection from SSL should be sending keyboard commands.
(acting as a second keyboard)
Does the MAC see the MATRIX over USB? (system prefs & system profiler)
Did you get any popups/setup dialogues when you attached the USB?
Do any of your smaller soft keys on the MATRIX work?
Did you reassign your Transport and Soft Key profiles in the Matrix Remote software from Pro Tools to Cubase user?

If you've done all those and still have problems I'll see if the Manual is available via the SSL site and download it, maybe I can guide you to the right pages?
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Well the Matrix Remote software works via USB, correct? So the console is being seen by the Mac. The USB cable was connected when I installed the console. I thought I hadn't done that when I installed it but apparently I did, which is also why the Matrix Remote is seen on my desktop.

The Soft Key profiles in the Matrix Remote software is set to Cubase and they are seen on the Matrix when I switch to Layer 2, but the Transport buttons aren't working for some reason.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

I got it. In the Matrix Remote, just like Layer should be set to DAW 2 for Cubase in my case, Transport Master next to it should be set to 2.

Thanks again for your help.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Fret, here's one for you. When I hide a track in the CP8 Mix window, how do I get that to follow on the Matrix? In other words, hide in CP8, hide on the Matrix? Thanks!

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:Well the Matrix Remote software works via USB, correct? So the console is being seen by the Mac. The USB cable was connected when I installed the console. I thought I hadn't done that when I installed it but apparently I did, which is also why the Matrix Remote is seen on my desktop.

The Soft Key profiles in the Matrix Remote software is set to Cubase and they are seen on the Matrix when I switch to Layer 2, but the Transport buttons aren't working for some reason.
I thought your Matrix Remote was running over the ethernet? I might be wrong but I do think that is how it communicates between your MAC and the SSL, not over the USB.

I'll download the manual now and refresh my memory!
Did you happen to check the system profile and system preferences on your MAC to make sure it is actually seeing the MATRIX over USB?

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:I got it. In the Matrix Remote, just like Layer should be set to DAW 2 for Cubase in my case, Transport Master next to it should be set to 2.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy to hear that! (I guess ignore my last reply then!)
Last edited by fretthefret on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Is the USB only for the Matrix Remote software? I thought some features need the ethernet and others, USB.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

I think this one missed you. When I hide a track in the CP8 Mix window, how do I get that to follow on the Matrix? In other words, hide in CP8, hide on the Matrix? Thanks!

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:Is the USB only for the Matrix Remote software? I thought some features need the ethernet and others, USB.
I've downloaded the manual now :)
I'm also sure now (with only a quick skim) that USB on the MATRIX is like other SSL and only for the keyboard commands and the Remote software is communicating over ethernet.
Yes, the ipMIDI is Ethernet (the fader functions etc) and the Transport is USB as keyboard commands.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

That's very interesting. You'd think the transport (not soft keys) would run via ethernet. But I guess a button is a button. :-)

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:I think this one missed you. When I hide a track in the CP8 Mix window, how do I get that to follow on the Matrix? In other words, hide in CP8, hide on the Matrix? Thanks!
First, is the reverse working?
When you hide on the MARTIX does it hide the track in Cubase?

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

I've never done that before. Is this a soft-key issue?

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

I'm skimming through the manual and Damn! I'm even more envious that you have this thing at home!
Hit me with any outstanding questions and I'll see if I can grab the exact references pages for you.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

I thought you had one sitting in front of you. How do you know so much about it? I guess I have to read that manual at some point. :-)

1- When I hide a track in the CP8 Mix window, how do I get that to follow on the Matrix? In other words, hide in CP8, hide on the Matrix?

2- When Saving on the Matrix, how do you get it to save Cubase? Is that a key command?

Thanks!

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:I thought you had one sitting in front of you. How do you know so much about it? I guess I have to read that manual at some point. :-)

1- When I hide a track in the CP8 Mix window, how do I get that to follow on the Matrix? In other words, hide in CP8, hide on the Matrix?

2- When Saving on the Matrix, how do you get it to save Cubase? Is that a key command?

Thanks!
Soft-key "SAVE" should save on Cubase
PDF manual Page 101-104 for custom commands.
Appendix A page 114 has the full command list for Cubase/Nuendo

Confirmed the Ethernet and USB functions on Page 99

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Hey thanks, I appreciate it.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:I thought you had one sitting in front of you. How do you know so much about it? I guess I have to read that manual at some point. :-)
:)
I've setup a few SSL's in my day and assumed / inferred from your replies that the setup was similar!

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

It's a great console. I had an Icon for a few years but SSL Hybrid feature is stellar.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:It's a great console. I had an Icon for a few years but SSL Hybrid feature is stellar.
I see the Matrix uses a 0VU @ -18

In another thread I had posted a trusted -18 dbfs wav file you can use if you ever want to calibrate all your meters.

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 1&p=406449

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Great, that'll come in handy. Are you located in LA?

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:Great, that'll come in handy. Are you located in LA?
No I'm in Canada (and have family on an Olympic team)
which is also why I helped! ;)
or am I wrong? Nah...

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Where in Canada and you're not wrong. I wrote and produced the Canadian theme Roch Voisine sang for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. I'm originally from Montreal, moved to Toronto for a while and I've been in LA for nearly 24 years. I take it you're from TO?

Return to “General”