Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Alles zum Thema Songwriting, Mixing, Musik-Business und anderen verwandten Themen.
Dieses Forum ersetzt alle anderen Foyers und "Made with..." Unterforen.
Charlemagne

Re: Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Charlemagne »

How do owners like the keys on this compared to Novation, etc?

johngar

Post by johngar »

Charlemagne wrote:How do owners like the keys on this compared to Novation, etc?
I can't comment about the keys because I have a P1.
I bought a P1 to replace a Novation Zero MKII that I really did not use that much, and other reasons I won't mention here.
Anyway, the buttons and encoders faders are definitely much higher quality than the Zero. The visual feedback on the P1's screen is far superior than the Zero.
The Cubase integration is excellent.
I have some questions for Nektar regarding, user "learn" mode. that seems to only be available for some plugins, not all plugins. I will send them an email.
PC | Nuendo 10 | i7-4930k | Win10 | 32gb ram | Intensity Pro | Radeon HD7700 | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Generic

artifactdetroit.com

Klhoud

Post by Klhoud »

I have a P1 with Cubase 7 on a Windows 8 computer and I'm having a hellish time. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If I can't find a way to stabilize it I'm returning it. This is really disgusting. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks

johngar

Post by johngar »

Klhoud wrote:I have a P1 with Cubase 7 on a Windows 8 computer and I'm having a hellish time. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If I can't find a way to stabilize it I'm returning it. This is really disgusting. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks
Contact Nektar support, they have been great.
I'm on windows 7 and all is working very well.
Good luck.
PC | Nuendo 10 | i7-4930k | Win10 | 32gb ram | Intensity Pro | Radeon HD7700 | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Generic

artifactdetroit.com

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

johngar wrote: I have some questions for Nektar regarding, user "learn" mode. that seems to only be available for some plugins, not all plugins. I will send them an email.
Hey Johngar,

'Learn' is seen in the display only if the active plugin does not have parameters mapped by default. Where a plugin is mapped, you don't see the 'learn' label, as the button is used to generate the page menu instead (labelled MENU).

For mapped plugins, you can engage user learn mode by holding 'SHIFT' and pressing the MENU button at any time (this is the right-most button beneath the display).

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tim

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

Just to keep the record balanced, I have Cubase 7, with latest update, running on Windows 8, with Nektar P1, and all is running fine. I still have a lot to learn to get the most out of the P1, but what I do know, works, and nothing crashes or freezes.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

johngar

Post by johngar »

TChandler wrote:
johngar wrote: I have some questions for Nektar regarding, user "learn" mode. that seems to only be available for some plugins, not all plugins. I will send them an email.
Hey Johngar,

'Learn' is seen in the display only if the active plugin does not have parameters mapped by default. Where a plugin is mapped, you don't see the 'learn' label, as the button is used to generate the page menu instead (labelled MENU).

For mapped plugins, you can engage user learn mode by holding 'SHIFT' and pressing the MENU button at any time (this is the right-most button beneath the display).

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tim
Thanks for the tip Tim, just what I was looking for. Your support team had already responded to my email with the same info, great support.
Now we just need to be able to create more than one page of user defined controls. Hint, hint. ;)

artifactdetroit.com

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

TChandler wrote:Have you opened a support ticket in your user account at http://www.nektartech.com? This is the best way to get your problems solved.
Hi,
If I have one minor criticism of Nektar it is the poor information system for users. The other day I complained to support for lack of progress adding more VSTs and VSTis to the supported list, and, immediately and helpfully, I was directed to a link with a software update.

How was I supposed to know that more was available already?
On the info page where the VST and VSTi are listed it still says "updated to May 10". Would it be much to ask for this, and the lists, to be updated?

And why not make this progress known widely, since it is an additional selling point?

At least, mailing those of us who registered.
Better, also a News item in the website.
Ideally, creating a User Forum somewhere.

Growing pains, I suppose and hope.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

Almost forgot. This is the update link to which I was directed:
http://www.nektartech.com/Downloads/Pan ... n_Maps.zip

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

pumafred wrote:Almost forgot. This is the update link to which I was directed:
http://www.nektartech.com/Downloads/Pan ... n_Maps.zip
Yes that link is a little hidden on the website I agree. In general, we want to keep everyone up to date through the newsletter which goes out to all registered users and anyone who signs up for it.

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep an eye out for our news letter this week by the way! ;-)
johngar wrote: Thanks for the tip Tim, just what I was looking for. Your support team had already responded to my email with the same info, great support.
Now we just need to be able to create more than one page of user defined controls. Hint, hint. ;)
Sure, we have been thinking about this too, but can't say much about future updates on a public forum ofcouse. You got that you can map all the faders and encoders on the left of the display too though right?

johngar

Post by johngar »

TChandler wrote:
You got that you can map all the faders and encoders on the left of the display too though right?
Well no, I tried that, but the faders and buttons above the faders are locked to the mixer. I can't assign those in insert learn mode, as they are still controlling the mixer.
So I can only assign the eight encoders at the very top to insert plugins via the learn mode. So what am I missing?

artifactdetroit.com

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

johngar wrote:
TChandler wrote:
You got that you can map all the faders and encoders on the left of the display too though right?
Well no, I tried that, but the faders and buttons above the faders are locked to the mixer. I can't assign those in insert learn mode, as they are still controlling the mixer.
So I can only assign the eight encoders at the very top to insert plugins via the learn mode. So what am I missing?
Ah OK, inserts...

True, pages are limited to the 8 encoders and the 4 buttons beneath the display for insert plugins. Instrument plugins are mapped in instrument mode where ofcourse all controls on Panorama are dedicated to the plugin.

Sorry for any confusion!

tawsie

Post by tawsie »

The one thing that's stopping me buying a P1 is this:

"In Cubase 7, hiding Mixer channels on Cubase's main MixConsole can result in Panorama's Mixer Mode getting out of sync with Cubase." (from the manual)

Everything else looks great. My Axiom with Hypercontrol seems to manage to deal with hidden mixer channels (it freezes a lot which is why I want something else)

Any plans to improve this, Nektar?

Or does the problem only arise if you change if you hide channels during a session? I hide MIDI channels and rarely change anything else from my initial template so it wouldn't be a problem if that was the case.

(Also, I'm not sure how the mentioned workaround about using MixConsole2 or MixConsole3 would help. Surely they would have the same problem?)

thanks

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

tawsie wrote:The one thing that's stopping me buying a P1 is this:

"In Cubase 7, hiding Mixer channels on Cubase's main MixConsole can result in Panorama's Mixer Mode getting out of sync with Cubase." (from the manual)

Everything else looks great. My Axiom with Hypercontrol seems to manage to deal with hidden mixer channels (it freezes a lot which is why I want something else)

Any plans to improve this, Nektar?

Or does the problem only arise if you change if you hide channels during a session? I hide MIDI channels and rarely change anything else from my initial template so it wouldn't be a problem if that was the case.

(Also, I'm not sure how the mentioned workaround about using MixConsole2 or MixConsole3 would help. Surely they would have the same problem?)

thanks
Yes we are actively looking to improve on this.

Cubase doesn’t provide a way to know either the track numbers or the total number of tracks in a project. So Panorama counts tracks it sees and presents the track numbers in the Mixer window. Unfortunately, in Cubase 7 filtering tracks in the main MixConsole hides the tracks from Panorama, which can put things out of sync.

If you filter in MixConsole2 and 3 and leave the main MixConsole unfiltered, you won't have any problems. So if you are ok with filtering your MIDI tracks using these two consoles, you'll be fine. The other two MixConsoles don't affect the feedback Cubase is sending to Panorama at all.

tawsie

Post by tawsie »

TChandler wrote:
Yes we are actively looking to improve on this.

Cubase doesn’t provide a way to know either the track numbers or the total number of tracks in a project. So Panorama counts tracks it sees and presents the track numbers in the Mixer window. Unfortunately, in Cubase 7 filtering tracks in the main MixConsole hides the tracks from Panorama, which can put things out of sync.

If you filter in MixConsole2 and 3 and leave the main MixConsole unfiltered, you won't have any problems. So if you are ok with filtering your MIDI tracks using these two consoles, you'll be fine. The other two MixConsoles don't affect the feedback Cubase is sending to Panorama at all.
Thanks. I went ahead and bought it anyway!

Actually, the best solution for me here is to use Instrument tracks as they don't have a separate MIDI track anyway so I can minimise the amount of those and it means when that track is selected, I can just play the synth. Otherwise I'm playing the synth on the midi track and changing the volume on the output track which is a awkward. So instrument tracks work great for me.

One small thing I noticed is that if you add a track and it comes up as the very last one, you can't use the Track+ button to get to it. If you add it in the middle it's fine. Not a massive problem though.

hookah

Post by hookah »

Klhoud wrote:I have a P1 with Cubase 7 on a Windows 8 computer and I'm having a hellish time. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If I can't find a way to stabilize it I'm returning it.
I have the same problem here on my P6 (also under cubase7 and win8)
- sometimes the keyboard/keys are not working (but fader, display and encoder are working fine)
- sometimes the controller part is not working. (but then the keybaord is working)

I need to restart cubase to get it working..
smells like some sort of timings/init problem, like something is loading to fast/slow.

Have been in contact with ther support (they are helpful) but no solution yet....

Bradovic

Post by Bradovic »

For those with plenty of faders and keys could you guys maybe consider developing something like a Panorama 0.5?
Getting rid of the faders , solo and pan buttons would make it a very compact unit Image

doesnt it look sexy?! :lol:

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Bradovic wrote:...doesnt it look sexy?!
Not really, I prefer the CMC series, and in comparison with the Nektar, I even prefer the BCF2000.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

For me, Windows 8 and Panorama P4 works great. Really useful for a lot of things.

+1 for support for hiding channels in the mixer. This is currently my #1 drawback in daily use.
Cubase Pro 10.5, RME HDSPe, CC121, Win 10, Komplete Ultimate etc etc

jamusic

Post by jamusic »

Guest wrote:I was interested in one of these Nektar controllers but ended up getting the Novation 25SL MkII and couldn't be happier. Novation's Automap software works with every and all VST plugins and most popular DAWs, it's great.

I slept on biting the bullet for a few weeks before I got one. I'd definitely recommend comparing the Nektar's software side to Novation's implementation because I can't imagine anyone doing it better.

Just my 2 cents. :)
I'm at the exact other end of the spectrum.

I bought the Novation ReMote 37SL about 5-6 years ago, and can't wait to be done with it.
I need more than the 37 keys, but that's not it - that wouldn't be it.

For one thing, Automap has never been anything but a complete waste of time, and after trying to use it several times, including downloading their latest version, I finally gave up, which I should have done long ago.
With Automap, I've noticed that there seems to be a split right down the middle - some of you love it and the rest of us hate it!

The keyboard itself is ok I guess, but the keys are advertised as 'semi-weighted'.

Well I've owned 13 various keyboards in my life and I know by now what weighted & semi-weighted keys are like.

So who do they think they're kidding? These are just cheap plastic, ultra-spingy, super-clicky junk.

The templates are still the same ones they've had for 5-6 years now, most of which I either don't use, or have never even heard of.

And the tiny displays at the top of the unit might be fine for some, but I find the overall thing a huge disappointment. Not to mention confusing & unnecessarily complicated at the best of times.

I have been thinking of replacing it for a bigger 61-76 keyboard for over a year now.

So the timing here is great, as I went hunting for new keyboard/controller options about 3 weeks ago, and stumbled upon the Nektar P4/6 by way of another forum post somewhere.

There's little to no point going from a 37 key to a 49, so I'll be going for the 61 key P6, since on the ReMote 37SL I'm constantly shifting the octaves up & down depending on the instrument - many of which now have key switches lower down the octaves.

So I won't miss that at all.

There happens to be a Nektar P4 I can go and see in a near by music store to physically check out before I decide for sure, and having just switched DAWs to Cubase 7 in June, the timing for this couldn't be better for me.

I won't miss a single thing about the Novation ReMote 37SL, and can't wait to see this 'nice new bird' tomorrow.

My only ensuing dilemma is whether to sell the 37SL/AutoMap nightmare to some other poor, unsuspecting soul, or to decide that losing sleep for a few hundred bucks just isn't worth having a guilty conscience over, and just take thing thing out back and shoot it instead and be done with it once & for all!
-C7.5.4/8.0.4 -Win 7-x64 -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16G RAM
-ASUS nVidia GeForce Video Card -Hyper 212+ Cooler -3 SSDs -1TB Black Caviar HD -2 1TB External USB 3
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Advanced Audio CM67se Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre-Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre-Amp
-Roland V-Piano -Yamaha P-200/88 key & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules -Way Too Many VSTs -Little To No Talent ;)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I bought a P6 on ebay for 400 bucks last week. (nice deal huh? :mrgreen:) I needed to replace an aging Fatar keyboard, and am addicted to Cubase remote controls. I am also cheap so I only own a BCF2000 and a Korg nanonkontrol .

So far, this thing is really nice. The keyboard is very sensitive and is taking some time getting used to, but it seems more responsive than the Fatar SL880 (apples and oranges possibly since the Fatar has weighted keys and the P6 has sprung). I am able to play more expressively on the P6.

A post earlier in this thread mentioned that the remote did not sync to the the Cubase mixer visibility– this has been sorted and it works now.
edit: Actually I spoke too soon. It does not sync to visibility. All tracks have to be visible in the main console for the device to work properly.

All the insert plugins I have tried so far were already mapped. It has been pretty much working fine with whatever I try to do with it. A very nice experience so far.

Plus, the computer sees the P6 as an alphanumeric keyboard, and you can map buttons on the controller to send key commands to Cubase using the macro editor which you call up from the P6 and opens on the computer.

Another quite cool feature is that using the multiple ports Panorama presents in Cubase you can simultaneously have the dedicated Panorama device and a Generic Remote active. Cubase sees the Internal mode as a completely distinct device.

I like their approach. The only software is the Remote Device for Cubase and their drivers. There is no wrapping of VSTs a la Automap, and you can fall back on the so-called internal mode to send whatever might not be included in the dedicated Cubase modes

As far as support goes, I installed the software on the 24th, and Cubase was crashing with their remote device actve. On Dec. 25 they posted an updater that fixed the problem. (If indeed it wasn't user error, heh). But they posted an update on Christmas. Can't complain about that, eh?
Last edited by -steve- on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

G-string

Post by G-string »

jamusic wrote:My only ensuing dilemma is whether to sell the 37SL/AutoMap nightmare to some other poor, unsuspecting soul, or to decide that losing sleep for a few hundred bucks just isn't worth having a guilty conscience over, and just take thing thing out back and shoot it instead and be done with it once & for all!
well I wouldn't do that yet as im pretty sure your going to hate the fact that the P4 doesn't work properly with hiding tracks in the mixer ,so there you go you can have a controller shoot out out in your back yard can't ya ;-)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

-error- :?
Last edited by -steve- on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

SteveInChicago wrote:As far as support goes, I installed the software on the 24th, and Cubase was crashing with their remote device actve. On Dec. 25 they posted an updater that fixed the problem. (If indeed it wasn't user error, heh). But they posted an update on Christmas. Can't complain about that, eh?
Is that the 1.0.5a file? I am pleased with my P1, but I always find it difficult to navigate the Nektar website.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

It's a later version, 1.0.5b

Yeah, the way they have the website set up is not intuitive to navigate at all. I did find that logging in, telling the system what device I had allowed me to click on "My Downloads" to show all relevant files.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”