Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Alles zum Thema Songwriting, Mixing, Musik-Business und anderen verwandten Themen.
Dieses Forum ersetzt alle anderen Foyers und "Made with..." Unterforen.

Re: Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Guest »

I just popped in to Andertons music in Guildford to see if they had a P1 on demo and to my shock they haven't even heard of Nektar , I had to guide them through the basics of the controller via the website ... ;) I should of charged them :P

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

TChandler wrote:
Outsounder wrote:It's interesting, but what's the workflow?

Scenario: you have a few different inserts on a channel(s) say a reverb from Lexicon,compressor from Waves and a delay from PSP.

You move from one plugin to the next, does it auto select that plugin as in automap or you move to next plugin and have to go wade through loads of menus on the controller to select that plugin and tweak it?

Could be really good and easy to use or a nightmare scrolling through loads of menus to get a plugin up for control during which time you could have tweaked it by mouse any way...?
On the Panorama you press 'Inserts' to view the selected track's 8 Insert slots complete with the plugin name within each slot. (this is shown on the TFT display). When the Inserts page is in view, you simply use the data encoder to select the slot you are targeting. You have immediate control over the plugin in that slot. You can also add Insert FXs from the device itself.

So the difference is you don't need to reach for the mouse to select a different insert in the track in the first place.
Thanks for that Tim, will try and get a hands on demo, not to sold on the piano black finish though that sort of finish loves collecting greasy finger prints! Would be great to real faders, moving of course as well as expander units to take it up to 16/24/32 channels :)
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

diogo_cme

Post by diogo_cme »

pumafred wrote:
diogo_cme wrote:Can we have a list with the plug-ins supported /mapped so far for the P1?

Cheers
Updated as of 10 May:

Panorama VST FX Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/apRwA

Panorama VSTi Instrument Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/P54Jg

Their website has more information than appears at first sight. It needs a bit of tidying up.
However, Cubase users who want to explore the site a bit, could start here: http://goo.gl/vF2q7. There are several pages of useful info.
Thanks mate, that's vital info IMHO.

Hope to see that list growing. Glad to see that some of my most used plugs (Waves CLA 2A/76 & SSL, Valhalla verbs) are there but I miss things like the DMG audio EQs, the Elysia comps and some others that I use on a regular base.
TChandler wrote: On the Panorama you press 'Inserts' to view the selected track's 8 Insert slots complete with the plugin name within each slot. (this is shown on the TFT display). When the Inserts page is in view, you simply use the data encoder to select the slot you are targeting. You have immediate control over the plugin in that slot. You can also add Insert FXs from the device itself.

So the difference is you don't need to reach for the mouse to select a different insert in the track in the first place.

That looks nice, but how is the mapping done by the users? Can we edit the display names on the TFT to match the plugin parameters?

Cheers
Cubase Pro 8.0.2 - OSX 10.9.5 - UR28M - Euphonix MC Control

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

diogo_cme wrote: That looks nice, but how is the mapping done by the users? Can we edit the display names on the TFT to match the plugin parameters?
You edit parameters by putting the Panorama into "Learn mode". You touch a parameter in Cubase and then the control you want to map it to. Very simple.

Display names are received from the plug-in, can't be edited manually. Maps are stored on the computer as a separate file for each map, these files are encoded so the are not editable by the users (unless someone figures out the encoding...).
Cubase Pro 10.5, RME HDSPe, CC121, Win 10, Komplete Ultimate etc etc

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Outsounder wrote:
TChandler wrote:
Outsounder wrote:It's interesting, but what's the workflow?

Scenario: you have a few different inserts on a channel(s) say a reverb from Lexicon,compressor from Waves and a delay from PSP.

You move from one plugin to the next, does it auto select that plugin as in automap or you move to next plugin and have to go wade through loads of menus on the controller to select that plugin and tweak it?

Could be really good and easy to use or a nightmare scrolling through loads of menus to get a plugin up for control during which time you could have tweaked it by mouse any way...?
On the Panorama you press 'Inserts' to view the selected track's 8 Insert slots complete with the plugin name within each slot. (this is shown on the TFT display). When the Inserts page is in view, you simply use the data encoder to select the slot you are targeting. You have immediate control over the plugin in that slot. You can also add Insert FXs from the device itself.

Thanks for that Tim, will try and get a hands on demo, not to sold on the piano black finish though that sort of finish loves collecting greasy finger prints! Would be great to real faders, moving of course as well as expander units to take it up to 16/24/32 channels :)
I hear you regarding the piano finish. The thing is, the piano finish just looked far superior than the matt to be honest! Keeping the product clean isn't really a big deal and we don't get any complaints from our existing customers. There is even a bundled Nektar cloth in the box! ;-)

Sure, for a dedicated mixer unit where you will be mixing several banks of tracks post production, I would say 8 motorized faders are a huge feature. At a glance the P1 looks very much like a mixing unit ofcourse! - but the Panorama series is not really designed in that way as it has far more depth in it's application. You can ofcourse mix multiple banks with the unit and the faders mute output until they catch up with the software position (seen on the TFT display) - but it's not the primary purpose of the Panorama series.

The Panorama series is focused on improving general workflow during production. The P1 is a keyboardless version where users can benefit from Nektar's navigation and plugin mapping system where they may not have the space, or perhaps don't wish to purchase a second keyboard. It's also far more portable than a P4/P6!

That said, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the request for a unit with 8 motorized faders has been taken on board, and I'll add the request for expander boards to that... but I can't say too much about potential features and future products from Nektar on a public forum!

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

diogo_cme wrote: Hope to see that list growing. Glad to see that some of my most used plugs (Waves CLA 2A/76 & SSL, Valhalla verbs) are there but I miss things like the DMG audio EQs, the Elysia comps and some others that I use on a regular base.
I can guarantee this. We'll provide regular updates as we do for Reason users currently as the list of rack extensions grows.

diogo_cme

Post by diogo_cme »

Quick question: can we set up the faders to control the input trim on Cubase?

Cheers!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

After a bit of head scratching, trying to decide between the Panorama P6 and P1, I decided to go with the Panorama P1, I will be ordering it shortly.

It costs less, and consumes less space in my studio. Since I already have NI's Maschine mk2 (for drum pads), and several high-quality keyboard controllers, the only feature I would miss is the Motorized Volume fader.

I wish Nektar did not omit the motorized volume fader in the P1, even if the price was a bit higher, I would have purchased a P1. Oh well... I think the P1 will fit my needs, and hopefully improve my workflow when using both Cubase 7 and Reason 7.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

diogo_cme

Post by diogo_cme »

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

After a bit of head scratching, trying to decide between the Panorama P6 and P1, I decided to go with the Panorama P1, I will be ordering it shortly.

It costs less, and consumes less space in my studio. Since I already have NI's Maschine mk2 (for drum pads), and several high-quality keyboard controllers, the only feature I would miss is the Motorized Volume fader.

I wish Nektar did not omit the motorized volume fader in the P1, even if the price was a bit higher, I would have purchased a P1. Oh well... I think the P1 will fit my needs, and hopefully improve my workflow when using both Cubase 7 and Reason 7.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Brave move - give us a review of the unit when you have a chance.

Best luck!

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

I should be getting a P1 in a couple of weeks. It would be nice to keep this string alive (with Nektar input), or create one at Nektar, to exchange Cubase user tips and feedback.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

diogo_cme wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Brave move - give us a review of the unit when you have a chance.

Best luck!
I will report back with some feedback/review on the Nektar P1, once I get it, and begin using it for a little while.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

diogo_cme wrote:Quick question: can we set up the faders to control the input trim on Cubase?

Cheers!
We haven't mapped the inputs directly in the v1.0 release, but I'll keep this in mind as a feature request for an update.

In the meantime, there is an 'Internal' button above the display on the Panorama series which switches all controls into 'Internal Mode' for any customizable mappings you want to make to Panorama's controls through the generic remote or quick controls in Cubase.
pumafred wrote:I should be getting a P1 in a couple of weeks. It would be nice to keep this string alive (with Nektar input), or create one at Nektar, to exchange Cubase user tips and feedback.
We don't have a forum on our site, but we'll continue to monitor Nektar relevant posts in this forum. Each Nektar customer has a user account on our website, through which you can open a support case with specific questions and our support team will get back to you promptly. Support cases are stored in your user account for future reference. We're pretty big on customer support!

Demonsk

Post by Demonsk »

Got my Nektar Panorama p6 a few day 's ago and i have to say It's great.
The keys play well, and the faders and knobs feel solid.
Had to change my workflow (still grabbing for the mouse) but i get the hang of it now. It works much faster and the motorised fader is great.
The mapping of the vst 's is nicely done. Not all of my vst 's are mapped but Nektar will update regularly.

I think It 's money well spend !

John
I9 9900k,Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi, 32gb
Win 10 64, Cubase Pro 10 Maschine mk3, Nektar Panorama p6, Korg Padkontrol, Fender Strat '83, Fender Starcaster, Fender Stratocaster '86, Line 6 JTV 59, Dreadbox Erebus v3, Korg Minilogue, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Model D,
Steinberg U44

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

I'm back to provide some feedback. I just got my Panorama P-1 installed. and have been testing it with Cubase 7 /(PC).

I have not done any in-depth editing with it, just tested the faders, transport, pan, ..etc. the basic editing tools, and all works great ! But... If I use VE-Pro 5 to connect to my slave PCs. The Panorama P-1 Freaks out, and eventually Cubase 7 crashes. Actually I had a similar issue when I tested the Novation Controller earlier this year.

It seems that the sophisticated control-surfaces have a hard time dealing with VE-Pro 5 :roll: Something to do with the VE-Pro protocol, seems to confuse the protocol of these controllers.

So, when using VE-Pro 5 , I tend to use my YAMAHA Motif XF7 Keyboard workstation by switching ON its REMOTE mode for Cubase. It works great, and I have not had any issues, even when VE-Pro 5 is connected to Cubase 7.

I will post some more detailed feedback of the Panorama P-1 when used to control Cubase 7, but without having VE-Pro servers connected to the Cubase 7 Project.

I did email Nektar regarding the VE-Pro 5 problem I encountered with the Panorama P-1 , and was told they will be conducting some tests to try to emulate the problem. I'm still waiting to hear from them regarding this matter.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Post by Guest »

a bit worried about the quality of the p1 as they seem to be popping up second hand all ready fro £125 :o

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

filterfreak wrote:a bit worried about the quality of the p1 as they seem to be popping up second hand all ready fro £125 :o
I did not want to post yet because I am still getting to know my recently acquired P1, but let me tell you that, in my opinion, the quality of the product seems excellent so far. And Customer service (whom I asked a couple of simple questions) responded promptly and helpfully.
Perhaps you should jump and buy one of those second hand! ;)
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

Post by Guest »

I might just do that then I can take the top off and spray it mat black ;)

Could you please tell me what the faders are assigned to when the p1 is in instrument or fx mode are they still controlling the track volumes ?

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

Since I am just getting to know the P1 and I would hate to misinform you, let me quote their online info:

For a VST Instrument that is already mapped by Nektar:
"Faders 1-8: Control envelopes with amp envelope on faders 1-4 and filter envelope on faders 5-8 in the common cases where the envelope is a typical ADSR. More comprehensive envelopes may use all faders. Encoders above faders: These are often used for additional envelope controls (such as filter envelope amount) or mixer level control when a VSTi benefits from it (such as a drum pad instrument)."

For a non-mapped VSTi:
"You can assign any of the following controls in Instrument mode:
Encoders (all 16)
45mm faders 1-9
LED buttons 1-8
Display buttons 1-4"

"A VST effect plug-in is always controlled exclusively from the 8 encoders to the right of the display. This means that the fader section is still controlling the Cubase mixer. "

Just in case, if you haven't done so yet, I would recommend working through the Nektar info for Cubase that starts here:
http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/sc.26/ca ... /KB.533/.f

There are also a few warnings you should be aware of:

"In Cubase 7, hiding Mixer channels on Cubase's main MixConsole can result in Panorama's Mixer Mode getting out of sync with Cubase. This issue does not occur in Cubase 6.
When using Panorama with Cubase 7, we recommend using MixConsole2 or MixConsole3 for setting up custom mixer configurations, when using Panorama with Cubase.

When you disable a track in Cubase, it will no longer appear in Panorama's Mixer mode. This can cause the track numbers in Mixer Mode to get out of sync with the track numbers displayed in Cubase."

Post by Guest »

excellent information pumafred thank you very much for that , I think i'll grab myself a bargain and see for my self . Its a shame really that nectar opted for a folder option instead of more encoders IMO .

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

Yes, but I guess this is because the P1 is just a spin off from the P4 and P6 keyboards. However, if Nektar detects an unsatisfied demand, who knows...

samwax

Post by samwax »

Honestly, I wish Steinberg would offer a new Control Surface, with 8 faders, that looks professional, and is solid built. Something like the next step up from the C-121. I'm not a fan of the CMC series.

ya make it a all in one built in , simple , like i seen some here a click on the feature n it auto applies , then save it . sm
sam de crasto # Braying Donkey Studious ,Edirol UA 101 , MAudio Delta 66/ Midisport 8X8 Trigger Finger , Roland UM - 3G Boss BR 1600 CD , DR 770, Yamaha DTxpress, Tascam Us 428 , KRK V 4 , Tascam 246, Evolution MK 361C , Roland PC 200 MK II , UltrDyne Pro 9024, Axon AX 50 , Ztar Z6S , Digitech Studio Vocalist , Beringer Power play , Roland EQ 231 , Roland Protues modules , Guitar synths , RMC X 3 interfaces , Makie 24 /8 Buss... Audiophile 24/96 , C 6.5 Halionsonic , Halion 4 , lots of old samplers Roland s760 my last , Bitstream X3 , n more ..

Keith99

Post by Keith99 »

pumafred wrote: SNIP
There are also a few warnings you should be aware of:

"In Cubase 7, hiding Mixer channels on Cubase's main MixConsole can result in Panorama's Mixer Mode getting out of sync with Cubase. This issue does not occur in Cubase 6.
When using Panorama with Cubase 7, we recommend using MixConsole2 or MixConsole3 for setting up custom mixer configurations, when using Panorama with Cubase.

When you disable a track in Cubase, it will no longer appear in Panorama's Mixer mode. This can cause the track numbers in Mixer Mode to get out of sync with the track numbers displayed in Cubase."
I am looking to get one of these but these problems are a bit worrying. I am not sure what is meant by using mixconsole2 in custom mixer configurations - does that just mean using mixconsole2 with all tracks visible so Panorama does not get out of sync? If so then that is probably an easy work around.

The only other issue I have with the P4 and P6 is the number of pads but overall I am very impressed and my credit card is twitching :)

Klhoud

Post by Klhoud »

I just got a P1 and I'm still figuring out Cubase 7...but so far the P1 keeps crashing Cubase 7. I'm using a windows 8 computer. So far I hate everything...does anybody have any helpful solutions?

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I got my Panorama P1 a few weeks ago, after testing it with my system, I had to return it.

Given my system uses two RME UFX Interfaces, connected via USB to my PC, I also use VE-Pro 5 for accessing two slave PCs. The P1 was having problems synching with my Cubase 7 tracks, was behaving very funky. So ... No dice with the P1. I still attribute these issues to the way my system is setup (two UFX audio interfaces.) I think if I had only one UFX it might have worked fine.

For now, I am using my YAMAHA Motif XF7 's Remote Control functionality with Cubase 7, and it works like a charm. I hope YAMAHA/Steinberg release a new controller in the near future. I guess I could look into the C-121, or CMC controllers. But I would love to see a new, and much better control surface from Steinberg. So I will stick to using my Motif XF7 for now.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Klhoud wrote:I just got a P1 and I'm still figuring out Cubase 7...but so far the P1 keeps crashing Cubase 7. I'm using a windows 8 computer. So far I hate everything...does anybody have any helpful solutions?
Hi Klhoud. Sorry you are having problems with the P1. Have you opened a support ticket in your user account at www.nektartech.com? This is the best way to get your problems solved.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”