Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Alles zum Thema Songwriting, Mixing, Musik-Business und anderen verwandten Themen.
Dieses Forum ersetzt alle anderen Foyers und "Made with..." Unterforen.
Muziksculp

Re: Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Muziksculp »

bigboi wrote:I really use the motorized fader a lot. That is the biggest difference between the p1 and the p4 and p6. I have a p6. I constantly also use the transport control, but all the units have those. For the record, I also have mackie control universal with an extender.
Thanks for the feedback.

I will be looking into the P4.

The other option is the Mackie Universal Pro. Control Surface. So, I will be comparing the P4 agains the Mackie Univ. Pro and try to make a wise decision.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

u may consider this to :
http://www.icon-global.com/Controllers_ ... on+Pro.htm
https://www.icondigitalusa.com/content/ ... er-station
Expandable to 32-channels control surface with 3units of Qcon EX( if u need) :)

also this cheap simple one with motorized d faders:
http://www.icon-global.com/Controllers_ ... ls+Pro.htm

dont know the build quality though
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Hey all,

In reply to Filterfreak's question regarding the Faders, in Instrument mode the entire Panorama control surface is dedicated to the VST Instrument in the selected track (except the motor fader section which always controls the volume of the selected track). The faders tend to be mapped to Amp/Filter Envelopes by default, but you can override this in Learn mode, then store new default mappings for the faders.

With regards to visual feedback when moving through fader banks or fader automation, the TFT display handles this in Mixer mode.

Here is a link to a demonstration video where you can see the Panorama series controlling Cubase (sorry if you guys have already seen this but I think it give a broad overview of the Cubase integration for those who are just discovering the Panorama series!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTIoD89TB0

Post by Guest »

hi Tim
Thank you for the information and the link , I must say the P1 does look very logically set out and you have got me interested now and I wasn't even looking for another controller ;) .
I think a visit to Andertons music is in order to demo this little creation in full swing but there is one very important question that needs answering to sway me over from novation and that is ......... will you be doing a mat black version ?;) :D

cheers john

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Hi John, glad we got your interest! Sorry to say piano finish only for the time being.

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

filterfreak wrote: will you be doing a mat black version ?;) :D

cheers john
Great minds... My EXACT question too after looking at the vid earlier...! :)

Have to say, thanks for posting here Tim (and, nice vid..!). I too will be wanting to try and demo this somewhere - where they have it hooked up to C7 of course...! I'll give DV247 a phone soon.

Bob
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

I'm at the A2D music Show in Exeter 18th May if that's any use?

I'll have a P1 and P4 hooked up to Cubase 7 with Reason 7 Rewired. We haven't really shown much on Rewire support yet, but it works really nicely. You just select the focus between Cubase or Reason (we provide a button combo for this on Panorama), and get the full integration for each.

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

I am also beta testing the Panorama, in my case the P4. I can confirm everything bigboi says about the controller and the company. There is lots of clever functionality hidden under the hood. As far as I can tell, this is by far the best multipurpose controller for Cubase. There are still one or two not-so-good bugs, cudos to Nektar for not taking it out of beta phase.

On moving faders:
The Panorama doesn't replace a dedicated mixer like the (more expensive) Mackie control, Euphonics or the Icon stuff. The nine non-moving faders are quite useful anyway. Perhaps not for serious mixing, but for rough balancing while recording and for editing synth envelopes. That said, I use the controllers to the right of the display more than the fader bank.

The single moving fader is very useful. By default, it follows the selected channel in Cubase, a simple concept but very neat; whether you're recording, mixing or editing you can always see and change the volume in a snitch. And of course it's essential for automation.

Because of the wealth of functionality, there is a learning curve. And you may have to think through your workflows/habits a bit to get the full use out of it. Anyway: highly recommended!
Cubase Pro 10.5, RME HDSPe, CC121, Win 10, Komplete Ultimate etc etc

diogo_cme

Post by diogo_cme »

Can we have a list with the plug-ins supported /mapped so far for the P1?

Cheers
Cubase Pro 8.0.2 - OSX 10.9.5 - UR28M - Euphonix MC Control

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

diogo_cme wrote:Can we have a list with the plug-ins supported /mapped so far for the P1?
Maybe that will be impractical - the last build contained 377 mappings 8-) .
And that list seems to be growing...

And once you get the hang of it, you can very quickly do your own mappings. These are a bit limited compared to the ones that the programmers can do, but anyway.

frenzdamillaman

Post by frenzdamillaman »

Hi,

I checked it out on the Messe in Frankfurt and it really hoped it would be nice, but it wasn't.
Still too much hassle in menu's. I even stumbled on a problem which turned out to be a bug according to the seller
….

love my cc121
Windows 8, Cubase 8, CC121, RME Babyace, Fostex VC-8, Voicemaster pro, VTP-1 Blue Skys Monitors, 2x24", Line6 Podfarm, Axiom 49 and a lot of coffee

diogo_cme

Post by diogo_cme »

Torhed wrote:
diogo_cme wrote:Can we have a list with the plug-ins supported /mapped so far for the P1?
Maybe that will be impractical - the last build contained 377 mappings 8-) .
And that list seems to be growing...

And once you get the hang of it, you can very quickly do your own mappings. These are a bit limited compared to the ones that the programmers can do, but anyway.
Google spreadsheet maybe? I don't that's impractical - very practical to be honest. 377 mappings looks like a very impressive number, but what are those 377? That's something the users could know in advance in order to make their purchase decision.
Cubase Pro 8.0.2 - OSX 10.9.5 - UR28M - Euphonix MC Control

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

Cheers
Updated as of 10 May:

Panorama VST FX Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/apRwA

Panorama VSTi Instrument Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/P54Jg

Their website has more information than appears at first sight. It needs a bit of tidying up.
However, Cubase users who want to explore the site a bit, could start here: http://goo.gl/vF2q7. There are several pages of useful info.
Last edited by pumafred on Tue May 14, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

frenzdamillaman wrote:Hi,

I checked it out on the Messe in Frankfurt and it really hoped it would be nice, but it wasn't.
Still too much hassle in menu's. I even stumbled on a problem which turned out to be a bug according to the seller
….

love my cc121
Details about what you see as a "hassle" and what the "bug" was would be useful. Thanks!
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

And as we are speaking, Nektar releases 1.0 version of Cubase/Panorama integration.

Will try it as soon as I get home tonight.

frenzdamillaman

I just wasn't that easy to operate cubase and plugins with the nectar.
It made a clumsy impression on me after seeing it "live"
But that is just my opinion, it's not a fact,
So maybe you guys love it for what you want to use it for
Windows 8, Cubase 8, CC121, RME Babyace, Fostex VC-8, Voicemaster pro, VTP-1 Blue Skys Monitors, 2x24", Line6 Podfarm, Axiom 49 and a lot of coffee

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

frenzdamillaman wrote:I just wasn't that easy to operate cubase and plugins with the nectar.
But that is just my opinion, it's not a fact,
So maybe you guys love it for what you want to use it for
Do you mean you saw a clumsy live demonstration of the Panorama ?

Could it be that the user, and not the Panorama is clumsy ? :)
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

frenzdamillaman

actually, they were both clumsy, so I lost my appetite.. ;)

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

frenzdamillaman wrote:actually, they were both clumsy, so I lost my appetite.. ;)
Well... if the user is clumsy, the Panorama would appear to be clumsy too :mrgreen:

Even Cubase can appear clumsy if the user is clumsy !

I think the Panorama line is one of the best, and less convoluted control surfaces on the market. Well implemented.

Although I don't own/use one, I am seriously considering ordering the P6 version.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Torhed

Post by Torhed »

frenzdamillaman wrote:I just wasn't that easy to operate cubase and plugins with the nectar.
Here is my quick verdict on clumsiness after a few months of semi-regular use:
* Basic stuff is easy, smart and useful (transport, navigating, using the motor fader and such). Non-clumsy.
* Controlling eq and inserts does take a bit of getting used to (i.e. feels clumsy at first). But after a while when it's second nature I find it liberating and prefer it to fiddling with the mouse. At least for the simpler things.
* For VST:s with lots of parameters, like synths, I tend to use the mouse more than the in-this-case-a-bit-clumsy-Panorama, it's quicker than having to sift through menus. But the P4 is getting increasingly more action even there.

So it's not a miracle machine. But it's better than anything like it that I've seen. And looks way cool.

All in my humble opinion.

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

It's interesting, but what's the workflow?

Scenario: you have a few different inserts on a channel(s) say a reverb from Lexicon,compressor from Waves and a delay from PSP.

You move from one plugin to the next, does it auto select that plugin as in automap or you move to next plugin and have to go wade through loads of menus on the controller to select that plugin and tweak it?

Could be really good and easy to use or a nightmare scrolling through loads of menus to get a plugin up for control during which time you could have tweaked it by mouse any way...?
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

Post by Guest »

I was interested in one of these Nektar controllers but ended up getting the Novation 25SL MkII and couldn't be happier. Novation's Automap software works with every and all VST plugins and most popular DAWs, it's great.

I slept on biting the bullet for a few weeks before I got one. I'd definitely recommend comparing the Nektar's software side to Novation's implementation because I can't imagine anyone doing it better.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

spire wrote:I was interested in one of these Nektar controllers but ended up getting the Novation 25SL MkII and couldn't be happier. Novation's Automap software works with every and all VST plugins and most popular DAWs, it's great.

I slept on biting the bullet for a few weeks before I got one. I'd definitely recommend comparing the Nektar's software side to Novation's implementation because I can't imagine anyone doing it better.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Had the Novation ZeroSL mkII desktop version , but... sold it ... Their Automap app. was a nightmare, it corrupted every VST with some weird wrapper, things began acting funky. Not a good experience for me. :cry:

I still wonder if Steinberg has a new Controller up their sleeves, that they plan to surprise us with. But, I really don't have the luxury of speculating, and guessing what Steinberg might, or might not offer, for now, I feel the Panorama Line is one of the best options, if not the best as far as implementation goes. (will be using it with Cubase 7 and Reason 7), so it fits my needs perfectly for now, and it is available.

Post by Guest »

Muziksculp wrote: Had the Novation ZeroSL mkII desktop version , but... sold it ... Their Automap app. was a nightmare, it corrupted every VST with some weird wrapper, things began acting funky. Not a good experience for me. :cry:

the way novation makes the wrapps is by duplicating the dll files so if there was an issue you only had to delete that dll and rebuild it , ive never had an issue with automap and support from novation is very good , ive just had an email from them on how to wrap HSSE as the new template does not work ... no biggy and I love automap .

that's my 2 pennith

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Outsounder wrote:It's interesting, but what's the workflow?

Scenario: you have a few different inserts on a channel(s) say a reverb from Lexicon,compressor from Waves and a delay from PSP.

You move from one plugin to the next, does it auto select that plugin as in automap or you move to next plugin and have to go wade through loads of menus on the controller to select that plugin and tweak it?

Could be really good and easy to use or a nightmare scrolling through loads of menus to get a plugin up for control during which time you could have tweaked it by mouse any way...?
On the Panorama you press 'Inserts' to view the selected track's 8 Insert slots complete with the plugin name within each slot. (this is shown on the TFT display). When the Inserts page is in view, you simply use the data encoder to select the slot you are targeting. You have immediate control over the plugin in that slot. You can also add Insert FXs from the device itself.

So the difference is you don't need to reach for the mouse to select a different insert in the track in the first place.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”