Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Alles zum Thema Songwriting, Mixing, Musik-Business und anderen verwandten Themen.
Dieses Forum ersetzt alle anderen Foyers und "Made with..." Unterforen.
aptmusic9

Re: Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by aptmusic9 »

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Anyone using the Nektar Panorama Control Surface with Cubase 7 ?

I'm interested in the Nektar Panorama P-1 Desktop version http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P1
The Panorama It is compatible with Cubase 7, and Reason 7. So I would guess it is a great Control Surface if you use either Cubase 7 or Reason 7 or both.

Any feedback on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
its pretty awesome. not quite perfect with the 7.5 update though, i've had some issues getting the surface to show the correct track name. *just saw that there is an update for nektar released on christmas?* ill try that
Last edited by aptmusic9 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Corsair XMS3 64GB (8x8GB)
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10
User of Cubase since Cubase 5.0
http://www.andrewpooletodd.com

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

aptmusic9 wrote:had some issues
Wondering if you did the recent update to Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5b?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5a which is the PC version, Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5b is for mac.just now updated to that.

Maybe its a project specific issue. I have a project where at the top it always says "CH 7 EQ 4 GAIN" and the instrument, and sometimes panorama has the incorrect title of the track. the faders arent sending any data either, motorized or plastic. odd.

A new project works fine....go figure
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

aptmusic9 wrote:Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5a which is the PC version, Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5b is for mac.
Thanks for this clarification. (Thank you too, Steve in Chicago, even if you were wrong. ;) )
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

aptmusic9 wrote:not quite perfect with the 7.5 update though, i've had some issues getting the surface to show the correct track name. *just saw that there is an update for nektar released on christmas?* ill try that
You´re not referring to the known issue that if you hide tracks in the main Mixer, the Panoramas get confused, are you? (If you were, Nektar suggests leaving the main mixer unchanged, and to confine any track view modifications to MixConsole 2 or 3.)

Another "known" issue is that no two tracks should have the same name. This also confuses the Panoramas.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

pumafred wrote:
aptmusic9 wrote:Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5a which is the PC version, Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5b is for mac.
Thanks for this clarification. (Thank you too, Steve in Chicago, even if you were wrong. ;) )
Heh. You're welcome. I just assumed 'a' was less than 'b' even though I knew that when you make an assumption you make an ass out of you and umption.

edited for clarity
Last edited by -steve- on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papi61

Post by papi61 »

My $.02 on the Panorama (based on seriously trying/testing the thing at NAMM last January.)

The keyboard is OK, but really nothing to write home about, despite what the company brags (not really weighted, just slightly stronger springs. I believe the buzzword for that is "semi-weighted.") The build isn't very impressive and feels "plasticky" (if you need real rugged and "stage-proof", then go for the Akai MPK/MAX series...) The controls are nice and more extensive than those of any other controller, and yet nowhere as integrated as the CMC series. And IMHO the price is excessive, considering that with $600 you can actually buy a serious 88-key weighted controller.

In other words, with the same amount of money you can get a decent 61-key controller + a bunch of CMC modules. IMHO the absolute best solution would be to get a great 88-key weighted controller + all the CMC modules you can afford (I know, that will probably mean spending at least a grand. But it's totally worth it!) Or, if you think that a semi-weighted controller like the Panorama is OK and you don't want to spend more than $600, you can get the bare-bone M-Audio Keystation 88es (whose keyboard isn't any worse than what Panorama offers, but it has 88 keys) for $200 (sometimes SamAsh has it on sale for even less than that) and then spend the remaining $400 on CMC modules (wisely shopping online will get you FIVE of them.) Then what you get will cost exactly like a Panorama, but it will give you more (more keys, more controls, more integration.)

But I'll grant you that if portability and compactness is your #1 priority, then the Panorama could be exactly what you're looking for, even if it's far from perfect and clearly overpriced.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.

Troy Carpenter

Post by Troy Carpenter »

Well I just opened my Nektar P1 and am hoping after reading these comments its worth it. I chose between the p1 and Novation SL Mk2... Lets see if it was the right choice. ;)

jamusic

Post by jamusic »

G-string wrote:
jamusic wrote:My only ensuing dilemma is whether to sell the 37SL/AutoMap nightmare to some other poor, unsuspecting soul, or to decide that losing sleep for a few hundred bucks just isn't worth having a guilty conscience over, and just take thing thing out back and shoot it instead and be done with it once & for all!
well I wouldn't do that yet as im pretty sure your going to hate the fact that the P4 doesn't work properly with hiding tracks in the mixer ,so there you go you can have a controller shoot out out in your back yard can't ya ;-)
Hahaha!

Yes indeed! :lol:
-C7.5.4/8.0.4 -Win 7-x64 -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16G RAM
-ASUS nVidia GeForce Video Card -Hyper 212+ Cooler -3 SSDs -1TB Black Caviar HD -2 1TB External USB 3
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Advanced Audio CM67se Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre-Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre-Amp
-Roland V-Piano -Yamaha P-200/88 key & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules -Way Too Many VSTs -Little To No Talent ;)

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

I would love to see new control surfaces from Yamaha/Steinberg at Winter NAMM 2014.

How likely do you think this will happen ?
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

papi61

Post by papi61 »

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,
I would love to see new control surfaces from Yamaha/Steinberg at Winter NAMM 2014.
How likely do you think this will happen ?
Very unlikely. IMHO there isn't much money in control surfaces, except maybe for the very cheap ones (Nanokontrol etc.) But Steinberg and Yamaha are not interested in competing at the low end of the market (and rightly so, I might add.)

It's definitely a very niche market, which means that in order to be profitable, the product must command a higher profit margin (because development costs are just as high, but production numbers are limited.) But if it gets expensive, it drives most of the potential customers away. You see how it's not easy to strike the right balance (read: virtually impossible.) The CMC series was a great idea in that it made the single unit affordable, but if you want the whole thing, it's going to cost you some money. But the fact that they had to reduce the price by about 50% tells me that Steinberg isn't exactly selling them like hotcakes.

Also consider that there's still a million BCF/BCR units on the market (not to mention the gazillions on the used market...), and they are definitely cheap (some stores sell them for as low as $120, just to get rid of whatever stock they have left.) And yet they barely move.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

pumafred wrote:
aptmusic9 wrote:not quite perfect with the 7.5 update though, i've had some issues getting the surface to show the correct track name. *just saw that there is an update for nektar released on christmas?* ill try that
You´re not referring to the known issue that if you hide tracks in the main Mixer, the Panoramas get confused, are you? (If you were, Nektar suggests leaving the main mixer unchanged, and to confine any track view modifications to MixConsole 2 or 3.)

Another "known" issue is that no two tracks should have the same name. This also confuses the Panoramas.
Actually I dont use any such features. sent a message to Nektar support and I'll try to remember to post the results back here. Nektar support team has been really amazing so far.
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

jamusic

Post by jamusic »

In case anybody's curious, just yesterday I installed the newest version of Panorama_Steinberg_Support_1.0.5a which is the PC version and it seems to be working fine.
-C7.5.4/8.0.4 -Win 7-x64 -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16G RAM
-ASUS nVidia GeForce Video Card -Hyper 212+ Cooler -3 SSDs -1TB Black Caviar HD -2 1TB External USB 3
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Advanced Audio CM67se Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre-Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre-Amp
-Roland V-Piano -Yamaha P-200/88 key & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules -Way Too Many VSTs -Little To No Talent ;)

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

I fixed my issue. I had two tracks with identical names which screws up the nektar. Works great now!
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

pumafred

Post by pumafred »

aptmusic9 wrote:I fixed my issue. I had two tracks with identical names which screws up the nektar. Works great now!
Hate to say it, but I told you so...
"Another "known" issue is that no two tracks should have the same name. This also confuses the Panoramas."
;)

vaikl

Post by vaikl »

aptmusic9 wrote:Nektar support team has been really amazing so far.
That's amazingly right. I told them that i wish to have a MIDI CC preset with Ableton Live and Studio One integrated (beside Cubase) and voila - they made it for me in a breath :o
Customer support at it's best.

Plasuma

Post by Plasuma »

Well, fancy seeing this thread pop up right after I bought the P1!

I'll post something about it when it comes in. I only have analog mixers floating around here, so this would be my first all-digital control surface aside from the MIDI keyboards I have. Sorry in advance that I can't compare it to some equivalent like the BCF2000 or such.

I'm not too worried about the faders not being motorized, but the throw might be too compact. We'll see.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

Michiel

Post by Michiel »

I'm considering the P6 for a long time now. I read the posts about the issue with hidden tracks but still don't have a complete answer.

Is it right I need to leave the MixConsole and don't touch it, so it can sync with the P6?
And then use Mixconsole 2 or 3?
When switching to the previous or next track with the P6, it will cycle thru all tracks which exist, also the hidden ones?
Is Nektar considering a fix for this, so the P6 could - in the near future - correctly sync with Mixconsole 1 and don't show hidden tracks?

What about the users who have a Panorama already, how do you switch to another track? Preferrably in the project window, mixconsole or with your Panorama?

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Michiel wrote:I'm considering the P6 for a long time now. I read the posts about the issue with hidden tracks but still don't have a complete answer.

Is it right I need to leave the MixConsole and don't touch it, so it can sync with the P6?
And then use Mixconsole 2 or 3?
Correct. (edit: well, you can use it, but you can't hide channels. I have not checked about zones.)
Michiel wrote:When switching to the previous or next track with the P6, it will cycle thru all tracks which exist, also the hidden ones?
Yes.
Michiel wrote:What about the users who have a Panorama already, how do you switch to another track? Preferrably in the project window, mixconsole or with your Panorama?
When there are hidden tracks doing it in the project window has made more sense for me so far.

jamusic

Post by jamusic »

Michiel wrote: What about the users who have a Panorama already, how do you switch to another track? Preferrably in the project window, mixconsole or with your Panorama?
I've been using the up/down arrow keys on my computer keyboard, primarily because it's right next to where my hand rests.

My setup is the mouse on the left, the computer keyboard in the center and 1 CMC-TP to the right, all on the pull-out shelf above my knees, and my P6 on the desk top, which takes up almost all of that space.

My left hand rests on the mouse, and my right hand right between the keyboard and the CMC-TP all on the same shelf, so it's just easiest for me to use the arrow keys, which is just a few inches away whereby I don't even have to look, but can just feel for the arrow keys, but you could also use the P6 if you like.

I believe that the goal by design is to reach for the mouse & keyboard less & less and it seems that some are starting to do that on an increasing basis from what I've read on-line.

But for me, the combo of all 4 input devices works best.

Additionally, [just in case some don't know], you can even load-up & open VSTs into Cubase right from the P6 directly, without even using the mouse. ;)

TChandler

Post by TChandler »

Michiel wrote: Is Nektar considering a fix for this, so the P6 could - in the near future - correctly sync with Mixconsole 1 and don't show hidden tracks?
Yes! Sorry about this issue, it's a little difficult to address and keep all the feedback seen in Panorama's mixer page in sync with Cubase. If you want to hide tracks in Mix console 1, the arrow keys still step through tracks. You can assign 2 F-Keys to mimic the arrow keys in which case you can still step through tracks using Panorama even when tracks are hidden in mix console 1.

jonsolo

Post by jonsolo »

I have the Nektar P6 and it is awesome! For me it did come down to integration. I know there have been comments here about using Steinberg controllers with another midi keyboard. And I have tons, heh. However, considering that I am also using Reason 7 this REALLY became a no brainer. Switching in ReWire mode is easy, and I hardly ever look at the screen while creating.

I do agree that the pads and keyboard are not completely the best, but they are good for the money and integration and there are no complaints. I can always use the Kronos 88 if I feel the need of a piano-like feel beneath my fingers.

To make it further nice, I also have FL Studio and Ableton Live Suite 9 which I use this in conjunction with the Launchpad S, while allowing the Nektar to be just a MIDI keyboard. They do make script files for these but I am put off by it (spoiled by the Cubase/Reason integration). If Push or some other controller were Ableton and FL compatible I would have it because then I could really work uninterrupted by my keyboard/mouse.
http://www.solosounds.net
http://www.soundcloud.com/the-jon-solo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 7700 | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 6i6 | Dual 27" monitors
Nektar Panorama P6 | Korg Kronos 88 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Blue Baby Bottle | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 8 | Ableton Live 10 | Reason 10 | FL Studio 20

Plasuma

Post by Plasuma »

I've had about 3 days with the Nektar Panorama P1 so far, and I can't say it's a bad control surface. Here's my input:

HARDWARE:
Unit has a gloss black fingerprint-magnet finish, which is a design flaw in my opinion. It is otherwise very well-made, feels solid, and it could definitely take a beating on road trips. Just not around the USB port, which feels flimsy - though, to be fair, just about everything I have with a USB port has that flimsy feel (like it's only being supported by the PCB and has no proper reinforcement). If you're going to move it around, unplug it first.

Unit is USB powered (2.0 compatible), so you thankfully don't need to find space on your power strip for yet another wall wart! Unfortunately, it doesn't sport a power switch, so it'll power on with your DAW whether you like it or not. I haven't experienced any issues with plugged right in on OSX, but when I integrate it with my Windows DAW, which is where I use Cubase the most, I'll use a USB hub with a power switch. I just don't trust USB devices on start-up over there, they're too flaky.

Screen is extremely nice, even if the resolution is a bit low. It's very bright, very readable even far away, and viewing angles rival that of top-of-the-line IPS display panels, which is great. It's a color screen, though I don't know why it would need to be since the info it displays seems simple enough to be monochromatic. Not complaining, though.

Fader pots aren't motorized, but I don't think that's a problem since the unit sports a smart latch, which won't 'grab' the control in the DAW until you move the fader to that position first. I like how it works and got used to it pretty quick, even though I'm a fan of and prefer the motorized variety. While the caps are a bit wobbly compared to my usual mixing desk, the action is adequately resistant and smooth, and I didn't have any trouble being accurate with them. The rubber caps feel nice, but they have a shape that needs some getting used to - e.g. there isn't much surface area to work with when moving multiple faders simultaneously. I personally prefer to have my fingertips sit in the caps, rather than wedge the cap between my joints, but I haven't found it painful to use.

Knob pots, also a bit on the wobbly side, feel a bit too 'free' (not enough resistance) for my taste. They're smooth and nicely spaced, and they don't feel like they're going to break off in use, at least, but the feel is something that puts me off. Would've been nice to have some lights around the knobs to indicate their value so I wouldn't have to look at the screen all the time to see that, but I'm finding myself looking at the screen most of the time anyways.

Transport buttons are responsive and solid, and while they are round buttons beneath the square caps, I haven't had any trouble with slippage since they don't have a high travel. They light up, so you can see what you've pressed or what's going on in the DAW (e.g. rec shines red whether you use the button on the unit or in Cubase) - the loop mode button also lights up, but only flashes a color when pressed rather than staying lit or unlit like a toggle should. Weird stuff, but probably a firmware issue they'll address later.

Buttons located under the faders feel pretty similar to the transport set, and they light up as well for mute / solo functionality by default.

Function and mode buttons are incredibly stiff. They're responsive, but they don't actuate well, so it's difficult to tell if they're pressed or not.

SOFTWARE, INSTALLATION:
Printed manual that comes with it is useless, so you have to use the online resources to learn anything about it. The website is a pain in the ass to navigate with tons of obtuse layers and meaningless lock-outs that prevent you from gaining access to said learning resources until you sign up and register your product. It's like they think somebody's going to "steal" their software drivers.

Once you've signed up and registered, you can download everything you need to get it running. At first, I was annoyed at the lack of a software counterpart that would allow me to edit what each control did, but after learning how to program the unit using its internal mode, that became a non-issue. It's easy to get it to do what you want, if a little time-consuming without keyboard and mouse entry.

As a note, update the firmware first before doing any extensive programming. It'll wipe the onboard memory to defaults. At least, that's what happened to mine.

SOFTWARE, CUBASE INTEGRATION:
You have to download and install a specific driver to get the P1 to integrate with Cubase on both Windows and OSX, and that's in addition to the generic driver you have to download as well, but that's the only remotely negative thing about this. Since I'm a negative-nancy, just assume that everything else about Cubase integration is really deep. You can control just about everything from the P1's hardware controls, and it feel great once you get used to it.

To spare the details, I'll put it this way: I don't know what I'm missing by not having a CC121 or CMC set, but I'm satisfied enough with this level of integration that I'm pretty sure I don't care.

Overall, the hardware feels like you'd expect for the price range, the installation is easy if you can get past an unintuitive website, and the software integration is awesome. The gloss finish, on the other hand, is a sin against mankind. I'm in constant emotional flux from glee to hate as I'm touching the thing to make stuff happen in Cubase... but those fingerprints and smears are so damn annoying.

They even play coy and include a cloth wipe in the box, as if to say, "you'll be using this a lot, muhahahahaa!"
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

Bach

Post by Bach »

I have been keeping an eye on the Panorama for a while now.

I tried the keys in MPS and was not impressed at all ( but then, I am also very picky with my keyboards). I was expecting something better than my Novation SLII.

I have the feeling we are going backwards. My old Novation has touch sensitive faders and knobs/encoders, Panorama has no motorising faders (P1 at least) and not touch sensitive controls. I would maybe buy it for half the price but honestly, after using multiple controllers (Faderport, Alphatrack, BCF2000, CC121) I don't think that P1 offers something new.

I am sure the first developer who releases an affordable 8fader motorised touch sensitive controller will have quite a big success.
Cubase 8.0.3/8.5, Wavelab 7.2.1, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Halion 5,Halion Sonic 2, Virtual Guitarist 2, Neo Soul Keys
PC (specialized Audio DAW from Scan): Intel i74930, 3.4Ghz, Asus P9X79, 32GB RAM, ASUS GT610 Silent PCI-E
Audio Interface: RME UFX
Laptop: MacBook Pro i7 2.2 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10
Motif XF8
CC121

Leonard_A

Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Leonard_A »

CC121 is AMAZING. I which I had some keyboard with it.
I own it for 4 years now and never have any complaint.
CC828 with keyboard would be insane.
Give us one Steinberg pls.
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10 | Ableton Live 10 Suite | WaveLab Elements 10 | Cubasis | HALion 6 | Groove Agent 5| NI Massive | Xfer Serum | Lennar Sylenth1 | CC121 | PUSH 2 | UR28M | HS7 monitors | DT770 | DT1990

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”