Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
IFM
Junior Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by IFM » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am

So Greg how have you gotten along with LPX (or CP) since starting this thread?
http://www.chriscaouette.com
Mac Pro 5,1 12 Core, 64GB RAM, El Cap., Saffire Pro 40, dual monitors, Cubase 8.5
Slave: AMD Athlon II 3GHZ, 16gig, Macbook Pro i5 16 gb, Mac Mini 2.6 i7

esencia
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by esencia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 pm

Interesting post as I did the other movement. From Logic to Cubase Pro 8.5 (although I'm keeping both with me)

There is one relevant point that was not mention clearly...
it´s regarding the audio engine.

I've found that Cubase performs a better audio engine.

I loaded same kontakt articulation (spitfire chamber strings long flautando) in logic, and in Cubase. Same volume, pan and so...

When I play it in Cubase, the sound its clearly better.. More open, better lowend...
In logic is less open, and less warm..

But algo, when I start layering other instruments.. In cubase, everything fits better as it had more headroom...

Any other users could confirm this?

User avatar
TEEF
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by TEEF » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 pm

esencia wrote:Interesting post as I did the other movement. From Logic to Cubase Pro 8.5 (although I'm keeping both with me)

There is one relevant point that was not mention clearly...
it´s regarding the audio engine.

I've found that Cubase performs a better audio engine.

I loaded same kontakt articulation (spitfire chamber strings long flautando) in logic, and in Cubase. Same volume, pan and so...

When I play it in Cubase, the sound its clearly better.. More open, better lowend...
In logic is less open, and less warm..

But algo, when I start layering other instruments.. In cubase, everything fits better as it had more headroom...

Any other users could confirm this?
I would have to hear both. Post some files. One from Cubase and one from logic.
TEEF

PeppaPig
Member
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by PeppaPig » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Yep two sessions just midi, no compression or any other processing, let's hear this Cubase sprinkle of magic - I'd be more than surprised if there was one.
Cubase Pro 10.00.40, 9.5, Pro9.0.20. WaveLab 9 EL. UA Apollo Quad FW, UA PCI Octo, UA Satelite Quad, Adam T5V, Golden Audio pre73 DLX, Behringer ADA8200, Joe Meek AC3, Intel i7 6850x@4.2Ghz (6C/12T), Asus x99 Deluxe II, AMD 6450 HD, Windows 10 Pro, Samsung 860 and 850 SSDs, 64Gb RAM - Melodyne Studio, Komplete ultimate 11, Halion 6, GA,GA2,GA3,GA4 (+sp), OZ6, OZ7, OZ8 adv, Neutron Adv, BFD3, SoundToys rack, Panorama P1, M-Audio Oxygen, Yamaha YPP55 - outboard: PRO VLAII, Digitech Time machine RDS4000, 1950s Ferrograph Series 5, Mics: AKG C1000S, Rode NT2A and M5 pair, SE2200A, SE X1R, Fame-VT67 (cheap valve U67 clone), Heil PR20&PR22, Behringer Mic2200 used for reamping with a bit of nastiness!

User avatar
AP
Member
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by AP » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:09 pm

esencia wrote: There is one relevant point that was not mention clearly...
it´s regarding the audio engine.

I've found that Cubase performs a better audio engine.

I loaded same kontakt articulation (spitfire chamber strings long flautando) in logic, and in Cubase. Same volume, pan and so...

When I play it in Cubase, the sound its clearly better.. More open, better lowend...
We had that discussion before but what I forgot to mention is that. After exporting and mastering. And when you take into account what devices most listeners listen to music. iPod, smartphones, car, home stereo. That difference is not very noticible. And with those fancy plugins most mixes/DAW can be considered more or less equal.

Most listeners, listen to the song, vocals, songwriting, sounds. Not the quality of the audio engine.
Cubase has a better audio engine which is more CPU intensive. That's why the OP switched to logic.
And if Cubase Pro 8.5... doesn't improve. I also will be forced to consider logic.

Because producing pop albums for one year with Cubase pro 8.5 is like working with beta software. Lots of issues.
That's not cool Steinberg :cry:

Steinberg should up their game by fixing the trip outs, improve performance, fix the edge pop ups and many other issues, introduce better synths like alchemy. Better drum machine like ultra beat.
Cubase Pro 10.0.40. 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.14 UR28M, CMC.

jxm
Junior Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by jxm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:01 pm

I now mainly use Logic Pro X but Cubase still has some great things I can't do in Logic like VST Transmit. Also I worry about the limited H/W choices and upgradability. So I will continue to upgrade my CB license year after year and may switch back when I read more happy stories on the forums.
Cubase 8.5 Pro, UR44, Groove Agent 4, Cubase IC Pro, Cubasis, Artist 7, Cubase Elements 8, NI Komplete 8, Windows 10 Pro Intel 4700K @4.4GHz, IMac Late 2012, Roland QuadCapture, MacBook Pro 15" 2014, Logic Pro X

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,

Does LOGIC have a (MP4) VIDEO TOOL facility please?

Thanks,

Paul

User avatar
TEEF
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by TEEF » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:04 pm

IIRC, logic uses QuickTime. Also, the mp4 file extension is only a container that can include many different codecs. Some of these codecs are exclusive to Microsoft and will not play in QuickTime. If you're doing sound to picture, your best bet is to transcode the video into a format that works well with your audio sequencing program and in a resolution that doesn't bog down your system but remains frame accurate. Adobe Media encoder works great for this. At least that's what I use.
TEEF

User avatar
TEEF
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by TEEF » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:06 pm

If you're asking if logic audio can edit video, the answer is no. You need Final Cut for that
TEEF

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Cheers,

I would want to be able to IMPORT an MP4 (ie a silent movie) and then compose the music to it in LOGIC (obviously being able to watch/listen to the two together!). So like you could in Cubase up until April.

I have CamTasia for making all the VIDEO cuts etc.

I will probably start a new thread on this actually . . .

Ta

Paul

User avatar
AP
Member
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by AP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:55 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Cheers,

I would want to be able to IMPORT an MP4 (ie a silent movie) and then compose the music to it in LOGIC (obviously being able to watch/listen to the two together!). So like you could in Cubase up until April.

I have CamTasia for making all the VIDEO cuts etc.

I will probably start a new thread on this actually . . .

Ta

Paul
You can do that in Logic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_nrUoGY9Q
Cubase Pro 10.0.40. 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.14 UR28M, CMC.

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Great,

Thanks AP, I will take a look at the LINK cheers man.

As I say, I might have to start a brand new thread (for further discussion) otherwise I am likely to get jumped on by the moderators!

Best,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:33 pm

AP,

The LINK was really helpful mate!

Paul

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 9217
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by -steve- » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:49 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Cheers,

I would want to be able to IMPORT an MP4 (ie a silent movie) and then compose the music to it in LOGIC (obviously being able to watch/listen to the two together!). So like you could in Cubase up until April.
Just for the sake of clarification, Cubase still does that, nothing has changed in that regard.

And, @monsterjazzlicks, does Logic require Quicktime to play video files? (edit: <-- yes, but)

Edit: The Quicktime security issue only affects Windows, and presumably, you are using a Mac for Logic, so when you say, "like you could in Cubase up until April" isn't that not applicable; e.g., there is no quicktime security issue on Mac OS?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee, and I do not speak for them)
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

User avatar
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 4648
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by Strophoid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 pm

But then, if you're using a Mac anyway, you could just keep using Cubase because there's no security risk....
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Strophoid,
Strophoid wrote:But then, if you're using a Mac anyway, you could just keep using Cubase because there's no security risk....
Well, the concept and motive for buying a MAC and "switching to LOGIC" would be to move away from CUBASE entirely. So you might say I have taken the subject-title of this thread to the permanent.

Ta mate,

Paul

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi,

Depending on the PRICE of the UPGRADE to CUBASE_9 (lets say it is circa 99GBP), I am wondering if it might be worth just jumping ship and taking the plunge in purchasing LOGIC PRO X @ 149GBP?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/logic-p ... 8309?mt=12

A big decision I openly admit, but one I am seriously considering . . .

Thanks,

Paul

User avatar
TEEF
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by TEEF » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:59 am

If I were you, I would totally switch to logic.
TEEF

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Teef,
TEEF wrote:If I were you, I would totally switch to logic.
Thank you for your encouragement. I am quite sure that Steinberg will really appreciate that a lot!

Paul

User avatar
Ed Doll
Site Admin
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Why I'm Switching to Logic (for now)

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:42 pm

I guess, it's time to close this one. It might be worth asking Logic related questions in those product forums anyway.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Locked

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests