Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
sycophant

Re: Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

Post by sycophant » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:41 am

Jarno wrote:OK. I have not done a lot of programming in last few years, but calling me a "non-programmer" is like calling someone making living from royalties of his old hits a "non-songwriter". :roll:
Just as you didn't call anyone here "stupid" I didn't call you a (non)programmer either.

I have heard changes in sound quality between releases but admittedly only once and would not be surprised if there was something in what people are saying about Cubase 8 and figure it will improve with updates to resolve any ASIO/WASAPI issues.

Plugins may have been the cause no doubt but at that time I didn't use any however this is not to rule out some internal processing in say a sample player such as Kontakt.

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:22 pm

And still no answer to the identity of the "leading mastering engineer" who "qualifies" this assumption.
Also notice the title; "sounds better...at first SIGHT". I do allow for dialect but also for the odd joke too.
I just don't know which way to take it.
It is another post where someone says "this sounds bad..." and someone else says "No it doesn't..." and to me it doesn't so I have to err on the side that says "it doesn't".
As none of us here knows much about each others' setups any discussion is largely meaningless and usually ends up with two or three people discussing each other's (expertly opinionated) right to comment. On some systems it could sound worse but I certainly don't know, but from my own experience I wouldn't say it's a Cubase problem. But it could be.

Anyway, seasons greetings to you all. May you all get your hearts desires fulfilled.
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:14 pm

The audio interface is outside the signal path of a DAW's internal mixdown (if not using external gear or loopbacks).

The audio interface will not affect the null test.

As for people hearing differences between v7 and 8, there may be a paradox at play: those with the most golden of ears are most likely to hear, on occasion, differences where there are none.

It takes critical listening and skill to even be working at a level where a mistake could be made.

Another way to put it: the person with the most knowledge and who contributes the most is statistically more likely to say something incorrect than those who don't contribute much, or who play it safe with their contributions.

So there should be no embarrassment for a mastering engineer being wrong about this, this time (if indeed they are).
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

4 DAW Network:

Main: Studio One V3 (Cubase Pro 9.0.1 on ice until future update solves some issues), Win 7 64-bit, i7-4790K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX, 16GB, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe (UGT-FW200), CMC Controllers (2 FDs, PD, QC, CH, AI, TP), 2 NI Kontrol F1 Controllers, Roland JD-Xi, rtpMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator Pro

Node 1 - VSTi Hosting via VEP: VEP 6 (& Sonar Platinum), Win 7, i7-4770K @ 4.0Ghz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, NI Kore 1 Controller, rtpMIDI

Node 2 - 16 Channel Stem Summing via VEP: VEP 6, Win 10, i5-4690K 3.9Ghz, Gigabyte Z97MX, 16GB, Intel HD 4600 Gfx, rtpMIDI

Node 3 - 2 Channel Mastering Chain via ADAT Optical: Reaper, Win 7, i5-4670K @ 4.1GHz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce 210, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, rtpMIDI

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Jalcide wrote:The audio interface is outside the signal path of a DAW's internal mixdown (if not using external gear or loopbacks).

The audio interface will not affect the null test.

As for people hearing differences between v7 and 8, there may be a paradox at play: those with the most golden of ears are most likely to hear, on occasion, differences where there are none.

It takes critical listening and skill to even be working at a level where a mistake could be made.

Another way to put it: the person with the most knowledge and who contributes the most is statistically more likely to say something incorrect than those who don't contribute much, or who play it safe with their contributions.

So there should be no embarrassment for a mastering engineer being wrong about this, this time (if indeed they are).
yeah. took the two versions and subtracted them. the differential signal is - well, there is a lot of it, it's not some minute difference. it's interesting that the difference (L -R) is mostly stereocontent, ie. the actual difference of the two versions is mostly contained outside the phantom stereo center of the recording. in other words also, comparing the (L + R)'s of the two versions, one finds them less different. But given the fact this is such a multi IO analog summed mix and we can't see what is going on outside the DAW, it is hard to imagine what else is a conteibuting factor. In terms of simple internal audioevent null, c7 and c8 of course null for me.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

OnkelGrusom

Post by OnkelGrusom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:41 am

Hmm, if we all just used this plugin all future discussions of this type would be moot ;)

http://www.funklogic.com/masterizer

Happy new year everybody :ugeek:
-------- Cubase 8 and earlier, Halion Sonic 2, Hyper Sonic 2, Superior & EZ Drummer, Tonelab, Tube-Tech LCA 2B, Neumann U67 and ADK Hamburg, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Core I7 4790K, 16 gig DDR3 ram --------
Feel free to check out my music on:
http://urort.p3.no/#!/Search/chapter%2520eight?List

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:20 am

OnkelGrusom wrote:... http://www.funklogic.com/masterizer ...
Better still is their A few Funk Logic ideas that never made it... page. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

jb

Post by jb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:10 am

Studio: Cubase 10.5 + jBridge 1.75
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/RME Digiface and MultifacePCI/W10-64
Intel Q6600 @2.40Ghz /Asus P5K/4gb/NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT/RME multiface PCI/W10-64
Controllers: http://www.jbgeluid.nl/en/jurmix/
Dual Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000

fafoua

Post by fafoua » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi, thank you pwmspeed for sharing your thoughts about the difference you hear. I took a listen to your files and I could hear the difference.

The Cubase 8 mix sounds harsher and has less depth than the Cubase 7 mix.

So I did the same kind of test with my gear, but without analogue processing : Apogee Symphony DA thru EMT analogue console to a DSD recorder. Same project, same settings, same channels, same files, same levels. Only 4 minutes between the Cubase 8 export and the Cubase 7.5 export.

Cubase 7.5 mix sounds better than Cubase 8.0. Exactly the same kind of difference as pwmspeed test. It's a shame. If I knew that I wouldn't have upgraded. I will have to go back to version 7.5 for the next mixes.

May someone from Steinberg give us some clarification about what is going on ?

Rawx

Post by Rawx » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Many problems can occurs with the code of a software and create audio problems.. So, except if there's only one way to write a daw, it could be a lot of things which make the sound worst.. Timing / phase problem, PDC.. We know some very good programmer can write plugins which sound better than others, some choose to lower the audio quality to have more power for others tasks.. So, it's easy to understand that Cubase 8 could sound worst than Cubase 7... The statement of "a bit is a bit" says nothing...

And fortunately, audio professionals have better ears than hobbyists.. They can hear subtile things. You can trust them, it's essential to make good records !

Snowy3

Post by Snowy3 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi

New guy here! To me cubase 8 sounds worse for sure. The timing of vst instruments seems to be up the creek to. When you use different instruments from different manufacturers they don't play dead on even when quantised. There's something up with it.

Cheers

Chris

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:08 am

Snowy3 wrote:Hi

New guy here! To me cubase 8 sounds worse for sure. The timing of vst instruments seems to be up the creek to. When you use different instruments from different manufacturers they don't play dead on even when quantised. There's something up with it.

Cheers

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

whats going on with C8 ? i played #little mary had a lamb# and when i quantised it ,it moved it to "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" tune position
cubase Pro 9.5 64bit ,halion 6 GA4 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 redstone 64bit 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:34 pm

I have found that while using Cubase 8 VSTi's up the creek there are all kinds of bugs- dragonflies, cicadas, mosquitoes and a bunch I don't know the names of! :shock:
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 gb | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb | macbook Pro 2011, 10.13.6 | 8 gb

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:33 am

<sigh>

:lol:

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”