Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Post Reply
TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Tom,

it is planned that the Cubase features will be available in Nuendo further on.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

thedug
New Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by thedug » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hi Tom,

it is planned that the Cubase features will be available in Nuendo further on.

Thanks,
Timo

Huh?

zvenx
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by zvenx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:11 pm

there were new features introduced in Cubase 6.. these features will be given to us for free in Nuendo 5.5.
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:13 pm

zvenx wrote:there were new features introduced in Cubase 6.. these features will be given to us for free in Nuendo 5.5.
rsp
I have not stated that they are for free. But yes, they will appear in Nuendo 5.5.
And no, we will not take 149 $/€ as we did for the Cubase features (NEK) in the Update
cycle Nuendo 4 to 5. Also, we know that this kind of leap-frogging (one and a half year after Cubase)
has to be avoided and will be avoided. Currently we still expect to see a 5.5 version sometime
mid of the year. But I expect that there will be at least a small handling fee.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:I have not stated that they are for free. But yes, they will appear in Nuendo 5.5.
Hold on a sec - so now we are being asked to pay for leapfrogging? This is getting better and better by the minute.... :shock:

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 pm

No. I would call one and a half year "leapfrogging". And the update price in the past
was even higher. There is and will be a time delay between new Cubase and Nuendo
updates. The goal is to keep this delay as short as possible.

Our aim in this product cylce is to reduce the "time delay" by one year, meaning to make the
new features that were introduced with Cubase available in Nuendo 6 months later instead
of 18 months. And our goal is not to take 149 $ again for these features, as we did in the past.
So I'm talking about a handling fee here, not about a $100 update.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:No. I would call one and a half year "leapfrogging".
Timo,

Leapfrogging is leapfrogging regardless of time...it especially hurts when that time frame is real short - to wit...

I (we) purchase Nuendo 5 in late June (call in July 1), 2010. Then a scant 6 months later (Jan 13, 2011) Cubase is announced with jazzy new features that we obviously want/need in Nuendo. Are you trying to tell me that in the time between July 1 and Jan 13, 2011 - ALL of these new features did not exist and were written from scratch to solely benefit C6? With no nod of ever having them in Nuendo?

And apologies - but I do not understand the need for a "handling" fee in the age of digital delivery.

This is very disappointing and I am sure the rest of the gang will have a field day when this is more common knowledge.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Bruce,

this is not as simple as it seems to be. Version numbers are one story, the code basis is another.
Cubase 6 was developed one a partly different code base, a new, fresh one. We could simply
do it like some other vendors, just adding features and let the code base get old. In fact, with
every new Nuendo/Cubase update, we are constantly renewing large parts of the code (and I
don't mean the new features only).

So the first build of Nuendo 5 and Cubase 6 are not on the same development branch. That's why
"simply adding features" is not so simple in reality. Nuendo 5.5 will also be based on the new
development branch, but that cannot be done "overnight" and requires some time. That's the
technical reason.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:so the first build of Nuendo 5 and Cubase 6 are not on the same development branch. That's why
"simply adding features" is not so simply possible. Nuendo 5.5 will also be based on the new
development branch, but that cannot be done "overnight". That's the technical reason.
Appreciate the update and know that I am looking forward to N5.5 - free or otherwise :)

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the discussion and your understanding. As I mentioned, it will only be a rather
small fee. And the update price from 5.5 to 6 will also be reduced, later on.
Plus, in advance of Nuendo 5.5, we will release another big maintenance update including
64bit support on Mac + some other improvements (of course without any costs).

A good weekend to all of you!

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:And in advance of Nuendo 5.5, we will release another big maintenance update
including 64bit support on Mac + some other improvements (of course without any costs).
Will there be any fixes/enhancements to the Batch Export tool at all? I was so excited about this when 5 was being announced...but it quickly left me wanting with odd bugs and limited value (for my particular workflow anyway)

Cheers,

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

User avatar
Marsman
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:03 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Marsman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Well that sounds fantastic - small handling fee is not that much of a problem. I´d hope for a download, although a nice small 5.5 update box would not hurt either. Mid of the year-- June 15?
Nuendo 7 x64 + NEK, Windows 8.1 Professional x64
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:39 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hi Bruce,

thanks for the discussion and your understanding. As I mentioned, it will only be a rather
small fee.
Don't call it a "handling fee". Call it what it is, which is a price for updating the software (or upgrading, I thought there was a difference, perhaps there is not). If you call it a "handling fee" people will rightfully point out that a download has virtually no cost to it, so charging for it is nonsense.
TimoWildenhain wrote:And the update price from 5.5 to 6 will also be reduced, later on.
Which will be when, approximately? This year? Next year?

You mentioned trying to get rid of this ridiculous leapfrogging, so is that going to happen this year or the next?
TimoWildenhain wrote:Plus, in advance of Nuendo 5.5, we will release another big maintenance update including
64bit support on Mac + some other improvements (of course without any costs).

A good weekend to all of you!

Thanks,
Timo
Appreciated I'm sure, and you enjoy yours as well!
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

zvenx
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by zvenx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:03 pm

My bad, I for whatever reason assumed it was free. oh wait it is because it was in the same N5 numbering.....

but yes I am with Lydiot, a handling fee is asking for problems for reasons he mentioned below....I think it makes more sense to call it an update fee, can't figure out why it won't be a download and at which point why is there a handling fee.

I was giving SB lots of kudos when I thought it was free....now still kudos but not as much :-)
I guess we shall wait to see what the handling fee is like first before complaining :-)

rsp


Lydiot wrote:
TimoWildenhain wrote:Hi Bruce,

thanks for the discussion and your understanding. As I mentioned, it will only be a rather
small fee.
Don't call it a "handling fee". Call it what it is, which is a price for updating the software (or upgrading, I thought there was a difference, perhaps there is not). If you call it a "handling fee" people will rightfully point out that a download has virtually no cost to it, so charging for it is nonsense.
TimoWildenhain wrote:And the update price from 5.5 to 6 will also be reduced, later on.
Which will be when, approximately? This year? Next year?

You mentioned trying to get rid of this ridiculous leapfrogging, so is that going to happen this year or the next?
TimoWildenhain wrote:Plus, in advance of Nuendo 5.5, we will release another big maintenance update including
64bit support on Mac + some other improvements (of course without any costs).

A good weekend to all of you!

Thanks,
Timo
Appreciated I'm sure, and you enjoy yours as well!
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

zvenx
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by zvenx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Marsman wrote:..........

By the way, does anyone else appreciate the fact that we are getting ALL refined SEQ 6 features plus more, FOR FREE in less than half a year?
any new comments Marsman?


I guess you do:
Marsman wrote:Well that sounds fantastic - small handling fee is not that much of a problem. I´d hope for a download, although a nice small 5.5 update box would not hurt either. Mid of the year-- June 15?
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm

zvenx wrote:I was giving SB lots of kudos when I thought it was free....now still kudos but not as much :-)
Well, to be fair, if it includes the stuff that's new in Cubase 6 then paying for it is reasonable. And if users do, then paying less for Nuendo 6, whenever that appears, makes sense as well.

It is a "cosmetic" problem. Or perhaps I should say a potential "PR" one.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

zvenx
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by zvenx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

true I agree...... still giving kudos.......

rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

solstudio
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by solstudio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 am

In this new updated Nuendo 5.5 – will there be a multitrack editing feature like the Pro Tools Elastic Audio?

Sol
Last edited by solstudio on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fredo
External Moderator
Posts: 2577
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Fredo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 am

Yes.

Fredo

solstudio
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by solstudio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 am

That is great :D .
Thank you Fredo!

Sol

User avatar
Marsman
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:03 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Marsman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 pm

zvenx wrote:
Marsman wrote:..........

By the way, does anyone else appreciate the fact that we are getting ALL refined SEQ 6 features plus more, FOR FREE in less than half a year?
any new comments Marsman?


I guess you do:
Marsman wrote:Well that sounds fantastic - small handling fee is not that much of a problem. I´d hope for a download, although a nice small 5.5 update box would not hurt either. Mid of the year-- June 15?
rsp

New comments? So what, a "small handling fee" can be 9 to 15 Euro, anything above that would be a joke for a download. If the product is boxed it would be ok to pay for disc replication and packing, say 20 Euro plus shipping. All of that is reasonable and I still consider it as a more or less "free update".

The only thing that really could make me incredibly pis*ed if the promised N5 product cycle show/hide features are not in there. If THIS is missing in N5.5, I will pay SB headquarters a visit. With a box of self baked muffins.. filled with squirrel meat.... best before 2006. And it might get even worse.
Nuendo 7 x64 + NEK, Windows 8.1 Professional x64
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

TechBytes
Junior Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TechBytes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote: And our goal is not to take 149 $ again for these features, as we did in the past.
So I'm talking about a handling fee here, not about a $100 update.
Whats the difference here between what Cubase users received going from Cubase 5.5 to 6.0 ?

Nothing !

So why not call it exactly what it is and at the same time take the opportunity to alleviate the idiocy of the different version numbers. The next version of Nuendo will have the same new features introduced with the paid Cubase version 6 upgrade , so call a spade a spade and call it Nuendo 6 , and charge what ever you feel appropriate !

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 pm

TechBytes wrote:So why not call it exactly what it is and at the same time take the opportunity to alleviate the idiocy of the different version numbers. The next version of Nuendo will have the same new features introduced with the paid Cubase version 6 upgrade , so call a spade a spade and call it Nuendo 6 , and charge what ever you feel appropriate !
Hey - if you want to pay $149 or $199 or whatever for N5.5 (or whatever you would like to call it) be my guest. I am sure Steinberg would be happy to take your cash.

Given what little we have gotten out of N5 since June 2010 in terms of any enhancements - I expect N5.5 for as close to free as possible.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TechBytes
Junior Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by TechBytes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:Given what little we have gotten out of N5 since June 2010 in terms of any enhancements - I expect N5.5 for as close to free as possible.
Where have I stated wanting to pay $149.00-$199.00 ?

In terms of enhancements, no more or less for those who used Cubase 5.x

Why do you feel any more entitled to the added features of Cubase 6 , than those who paid for them going from Cubase 5.x ?

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Vocalpoint » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 am

TechBytes wrote:Where have I stated wanting to pay $149.00-$199.00 ?
Better question is - why not just take what they are giving? Are you trying to give Steinberg ideas about charging more?
TechBytes wrote:In terms of enhancements, no more or less for those who used Cubase 5.x
Since when has Cubase ever been on the same level of Nuendo - don't imply that it is - because it isn't.
TechBytes wrote:Why do you feel any more entitled to the added features of Cubase 6 , than those who paid for them going from Cubase 5.x ?
Hmm...let me see...

1. Nuendo is twice as much money as Cubase. For that fact alone - Nuendo users should always expect and get ALL new enhancements, features, fixes and anything else that a premium price brings. And they should get them first - not Cubase. However if that's NOT the case - then lower my price down to Cubase level and let the fray begin.

2. In this specific case - Steinberg was WELL underway building all these new goodies into the forthcoming C6 way back when Nueudo 5 was rolled out in June 2010. Then a mere 6 months later (after a very dry period in the way of ANYTHING - updates, fixes, new feature for those of us who bought N5) they announce C6 with all this excellent stuff. A lot of us went Huh? What about us?

3. N5 has had a pile of bugs - big (anyone remember the running out of RAM while doing long recordings), to the video engine to the smaller (just general upkeep type stuff) and a long list of feature requests (big , small and otherwise) since June of 2010 and by my count - we have had 90 bug fixes...but it seems that actual improvements have been hard to come by. Now - if that was the plan - so be it - but my expectations were much higher - especially with things like the highly touted Batch Export...it's about as unusable to me as can be.

4. Finally - I waited 3 bloody years for Nuendo to move at a glacial pace from V4 to V5...and now I find out from Timo that the entire development methods, trees, build methodology and every thing has suddenly changed again with Cubase 6...to be honest - I am just *quiz* off since buying the most expensive software that Steinberg makes counts for basically nothing in the long run. At this price point - Nuendo users should be given a single Cubase seat for free - every time this idiotic leapfrogging occurs - at least I would feel better about my purchase. But watching the Cubase gang get some really useful stuff - first again as usual - and then waiting months to get it on our platform is a bloody pain in the ass....

5. Did I mention Nuendo costs twice as much?

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Post Reply

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests