Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Marsman

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Marsman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:45 am

Timo wrote:
Hello,

I know, I know. I have promised that it will be included in 5.5. That's the danger with promising something :roll:
I understand your frustration regarding the lack of this function, althouth this comment won't help you anything
of course....

I have discussed this feature with our planning team, especially because I have already mentioned publicly
that it will find it's way into Nuendo 5.5. Now I'm left empty-handed...

During the final development phase it turned out, that it will not be that easy to include this function in Nuendo 5.5, especially as we would have to rebuilt it completely for Nuendo 6. Nuendo 6 will anyway include advanced show/hide functions and much more with regards to productivity/session handling (though I know I may not be very credible in promising features now... :) ). Large parts of the program will be renewed. Considering such efforts, I was convinced to not put this into 5.5 and delay the update once again.

Don't know if this sounds reasonable to you, but that's simply the reality. Anyway, I have to say that it may be safer to not promise anything regarding future updates, as it avoids speculations.

Thanks for reading,
Timo
Many thanks for clearing things up Timo...
So SB didn´t make it on the "initial release of N5" in May 2010, after a three year old request, made an official statement to deliver this feature on an update "during the N5 product-lifecyle", now it has been pushed further to N6?

Anyway, seems like folks who requested and supported this feature since 2007 have vanished in the meantime, according to the absent uproar which I thought would follow.
Unfortunately, sticking to this offical announcement was obviously less important for Steinberg than developing Loopmash 1, Loopmash 2, Amp Rack, Reverence and Groove Agent One since 2007. Don´t get me wrong, these are quality plugins and VSTi, but I can get plugins and VSTi from many developers, but core functionality of my host sequencer can only be delivered by the Steinberg devs.

Although this broken promise is a major disappointment for me, I still have no intention of switching to a different platform for composing/producing (Logic 9 on Apple), but there is perhaps another one and half year of scrolling, folder mayhem and a bit of remaining Logic jealousy coming up for me in N5.5, until N6 arrives.

So far I have mostly recommended Nuendo to fellow composers, two actually switched over from Logic recently and they are quite happy with their decision. Although they sorely miss the track hiding options in Logic too.
Nuendo 7 x64 + NEK, Windows 8.1 Professional x64
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 am

Marsman wrote:
Timo wrote:
Hello,

I know, I know. I have promised that it will be included in 5.5. That's the danger with promising something :roll:
I understand your frustration regarding the lack of this function, althouth this comment won't help you anything
of course....

I have discussed this feature with our planning team, especially because I have already mentioned publicly
that it will find it's way into Nuendo 5.5. Now I'm left empty-handed...

During the final development phase it turned out, that it will not be that easy to include this function in Nuendo 5.5, especially as we would have to rebuilt it completely for Nuendo 6. Nuendo 6 will anyway include advanced show/hide functions and much more with regards to productivity/session handling (though I know I may not be very credible in promising features now... :) ). Large parts of the program will be renewed. Considering such efforts, I was convinced to not put this into 5.5 and delay the update once again.

Don't know if this sounds reasonable to you, but that's simply the reality. Anyway, I have to say that it may be safer to not promise anything regarding future updates, as it avoids speculations.

Thanks for reading,
Timo
Many thanks for clearing things up Timo...
So SB didn´t make it on the "initial release of N5" in May 2010, after a three year old request, made an official statement to deliver this feature on an update "during the N5 product-lifecyle", now it has been pushed further to N6?

Anyway, seems like folks who requested and supported this feature since 2007 have vanished in the meantime, according to the absent uproar which I thought would follow.
Unfortunately, sticking to this offical announcement was obviously less important for Steinberg than developing Loopmash 1, Loopmash 2, Amp Rack, Reverence and Groove Agent One since 2007. Don´t get me wrong, these are quality plugins and VSTi, but I can get plugins and VSTi from many developers, but core functionality of my host sequencer can only be delivered by the Steinberg devs.

Although this broken promise is a major disappointment for me, I still have no intention of switching to a different platform for composing/producing (Logic 9 on Apple), but there is perhaps another one and half year of scrolling, folder mayhem and a bit of remaining Logic jealousy coming up for me in N5.5, until N6 arrives.

So far I have mostly recommended Nuendo to fellow composers, two actually switched over from Logic recently and they are quite happy with their decision. Although they sorely miss the track hiding options in Logic too.
Hello,

thanks for your comment. Please be aware of the following: instruments like Loop Mash, Groove Agent etc. are not being developed by the same team who does all the Nuendo core function implementation. In addition, it has to fit in the overall development schedule and, even more important, in the topic of the release. We don't touch the code randomly to integrate a feature "here and there". If we look on the development schedule for the upcoming releases, we can determine which parts of the program can be renewd and which parts we have to work on later.

Don't get me wrong. I personally want to see that function realised sooner rather than later. But we would have to built something exclusively for Nuendo 5.5 - which we cannot use for Nuendo 6 in the next year. So we decided to - once again - shift the integration to Nuendo 6, where it's on the development schedule anyway.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

SBN

Post by SBN » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

TimoWildenhain wrote: where it's on the development schedule anyway.

Thanks,
Timo
You mean there's a date!? ETA?
Principaux Systèmes Lda.

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 am

SBN wrote:

Thanks,
Timo
Huh, I better do not mention dates anymore :)
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Please be aware of the following: instruments like Loop Mash, Groove Agent etc. are not being developed by the same team who does all the Nuendo core function implementation.
I really don't think that was his point. I think his point was that Steinberg is putting resources on other "lesser" apps while Nuendo "suffers".
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

SBN

Post by SBN » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 am

Was only joking

cheers
Principaux Systèmes Lda.

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
SBN wrote:

Thanks,
Timo
Huh, I better do not mention dates anymore :)
Well, the huge crowd of show/hide supporters has obviously given up or migrated to another platform since 2007.
You might as well leave it out then, if I am the only user who needs the feature, why work on it ;)

Anyway can I please beta test?
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 am

Marsman wrote:
Well, the huge crowd of show/hide supporters has obviously given up or migrated to another platform since 2007.
You might as well leave it out then, if I am the only user who needs the feature, why work on it ;)

You are not the only one and less response regarding this topic within this thread (which has a different headline) does not indicate that there is no interest in this feature anymore.As I said, we won't leave it out because it is not so complicated to implement in Nuendo 6 - due to certain parts of the program we will touch anyway.

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

olamo

Post by olamo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Marsman wrote: Well, the huge crowd of show/hide supporters has obviously given up or migrated to another platform since 2007.
Cause I want it too, and that makes it a plural request :mrgreen:

Ola

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:11 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Marsman wrote:

You are not the only one and less response regarding this topic within this thread (which has a different headline) does not indicate that there is no interest in this feature anymore.As I said, we won't leave it out because it is not so complicated to implement in Nuendo 6 - due to certain parts of the program we will touch anyway.

Thanks,
Timo
Do we have at least a rough timeframe? More or less than a year until N6 ?

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”