Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Eric

Re: Cubase 6 features / Nuendo 5

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

the update will get ALL Cubase 6 features, although some will only be
available for NEK users. In addition, the update will also include some
further enhancements especially made for Nuendo.

Thanks,
Timo
Will these be more "Post" enhancements or more general enhancements?

zvenx

Post by zvenx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks,
Timo
Then you announce this and put a lil love back in the hate relationship! sigh.
thanks for this.
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm

i seem to remember reading something somewhere about how linked tracks would be updated during the nuendo 5 cycle. i haven't looked too closely at what cubase 6 offers but i don't think that's one of the new features. that was one of the things i was most looking forward to when i upgraded to nuendo 5. what are the plans to finally overhaul linked/grouped tracks?

zvenx

Post by zvenx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

I think the group editing is what they meant?
I assume you mean what I hear called the VCA group editing style in protools?

on a totally different note you aren't the David Gamson of Scritti Politti fame are you?
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 pm

hey zvenx... thanks for the reply.... yes... i am.

vca groups in pro tools are different. regular grouping in pro tools is more what i'm talking about. something that's been in pro tools for at least a decade. the ability to easily suspend grouped tracks (or linked tracks in nuendo).... or name grouped tracks. all sorts of really basic things that you can't do in nuendo. still drives me crazy that 2 channels that are linked don't mirror eachother when you input automation points with a mouse.... but they do when you move the fader! makes no sense.

dg

zvenx

Post by zvenx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

ah got you.
fortunately I am too professional and too old to gush. but damn!!! nice to have you on board david.
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks,
Timo
That is great news, thanks Timo. With 'further enhancements', can we expect the announced 'hide unused tracks' feature will be among these and appear in the upcoming update?

-----

EDIT
I guess this will be the fattest free Nuendo update ever, but probably the last one for N5. Since I found several references in the old forum that show/hide will definitely come during the N5 product lifecycle, I guess I´ll go on vacation a little earlier this year so I can enjoy "Nuendo5 Reloaded" early summer! :D :D And say finally "Good bye" to scrolling trough my monster size projects expanding and collapsing tons of folders and subfolders.. I will not miss it!
Nuendo 7 x64 + NEK, Windows 8.1 Professional x64
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Marsman,

thanks very much for your comments. We hope to have the Hide Unused tracks in this
Update, but that could also come in another one. Currently I cannot reveal more
details about this update but I'll post some more information as soon as they're available.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:39 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hi Marsman,

thanks very much for your comments. We hope to have the Hide Unused tracks in this
Update, but that could also come in another one. Currently I cannot reveal more
details about this update but I'll post some more information as soon as they're available.

Thanks,
Timo
Thanks again for sharing this infos with us. Really looking forward to this update and I hope the hide features will somehow make it in there..(perhaps also some small improvements to the "divide tracklist" feature as I suggested in another thread)
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote: ... although some will only be available for NEK users ...
I hope this very strange NEK-policy will be dropped as soon as possible, and Nuendo will again become what it was right at the beginning: The one-stop-professional tool with everything included. Period.
Planet Groove Productions
digitalmasteringservice.com

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

planetgroove wrote:
TimoWildenhain wrote: ... although some will only be available for NEK users ...
I hope this very strange NEK-policy will be dropped as soon as possible, and Nuendo will again become what it was right at the beginning: The one-stop-professional tool with everything included. Period.
NEK is simply an offer to post pro engineers not being forced to pay for notation, synths, musix xml etc.
Also as far as I know the complete update price is still the same, so why bother? I am sure there are users out there who did not buy nek because they simply dont use the features, so why charge them for it.

zvenx

Post by zvenx » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 pm

:roll:
shaking my head.. interesting. I dont' use all Nuendo features, maybe I can get a discount too.. has SB ever done anything that you don't approve of?
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't need the overstyled media bay, for example, or some other features, so why should I pay for those? But I would need the NEK-features or some other things and have to pay for that the full price. So what now? That does the different use-cases no real justice.

Steinberg: Why not drop Cubase and only sell Nuendo as a fully modular version (from entry-level "Elements" to a 100%-pro-version), so you can save development costs - hence the product being cheaper for ALL users? That would be rather radical, but maybe the best thing.
Planet Groove Productions
digitalmasteringservice.com

DG

Post by DG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 pm

planetgroove wrote:
Steinberg: Why not drop Cubase and only sell Nuendo as a fully modular version (from entry-level "Elements" to a 100%-pro-version), so you can save development costs - hence the product being cheaper for ALL users? That would be rather radical, but maybe the best thing.
This has been suggested many times, but SB has always said "no". I think part of the reason is that they don't want to delay the release of what is now Cubase, whilst they are working on the Nuendo exclusive features.

Of course, with proper planning this could all be done at the same time. However Steinberg is not known for proper planning. :lol:

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card

thedug

Post by thedug » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 pm

So when is this release coming out. It was > 2 weeks ago when Tim said 1 week.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm

thedug wrote:So when is this release coming out. It was > 2 weeks ago when Tim said 1 week.
I think you're mixing things up. There was an update very recently, and Timo said (I think) that the update with Cubase 6 features would be early summer. And after that Timo said that they'd been working for a week on a specific problem and that it was going to be fixed, but I don't think he said whether that would be an update before the summer or rolled into the summer update.....
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

thedug

Post by thedug » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah.. I was afraid of that..

thedug

Post by thedug » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:34 am

Anybody else having trouble getting this page to load?

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ndo_5.html

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am

DG wrote:
planetgroove wrote:
Steinberg: Why not drop Cubase and only sell Nuendo as a fully modular version ....
.... Steinberg is not known for proper planning.
Hilarious. The "marketing experts" here suggesting to a company to drop their strongest selling brand Cubase. :mrgreen:

Also if someone states "SB is not known for proper planning", all I see is a handful of Steinberg forum users who are not known for proper forum manners and are not discussing in a factual way. I still don´t get how certain users can keep on b*tching about Cubase and/or Nuendo for years and simply not move on if they are constantly unsatisfied with their software and the company behind. No one forces you to "torture" yourself if you feel like that.

Regarding Nuendo I still see the strategy behind like:

Cubase -> Music Production Tool $
Nuendo -> Post Production Tools $$
Nuendo + NEK -> Flagship for all purposes $$$

Perhaps the naming scheme could have been "Nuendo" and "Nuendo Plus" or "Nuendo Complete" instead of introducing NEK, but honesty what do I care about names, I downloaded the licence and it works, so what.

My only suggestions are:
1. NEK users should be allowed to post in Cubase forums to have access to the larger user base
2. NEK license on an eLicenser should allow to open same generation Cubase
3. NEK users of the current generation should receive a free time limited license to open next generation Cubase, which is only active until to the point Nuendo gets the upgrade.

And why is Nuendo coming out later than Cubase? SB needs to fix and REFINE NEW FEATURES which get introduced to the larger (less commercially oriented) user base of Cubase, so they have a certain timeframe to improve code and offer it to Nuendo users later, but at a more reliable and improved state. Also, you might have guessed it; additional programming and refinements need some time and ressources.

By the way, does anyone else appreciate the fact that we are getting ALL refined SEQ 6 features plus more, FOR FREE in less than half a year?

thedug

Post by thedug » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I would be happy running Cubase but when my clients say "do you have protools" (which the all do) and I say "Cubase" that think "oh used that it's not a professional recording app". If you say Nuendo they usually say "Never heard of it. what's that".

So I'm stuck using Nuendo because of a branding issue, yet I get stuck with year old features.

D/

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Marsman wrote:Hilarious. The "marketing experts" here suggesting to a company to drop their strongest selling brand Cubase. :mrgreen:
I think the point probably was to use one brand instead of two. Your point is well taken though.
Marsman wrote:Also if someone states "SB is not known for proper planning", all I see is a handful of Steinberg forum users who are not known for proper forum manners and are not discussing in a factual way. I still don´t get how certain users can keep on b*tching about Cubase and/or Nuendo for years and simply not move on if they are constantly unsatisfied with their software and the company behind. No one forces you to "torture" yourself if you feel like that.
That didn't really contribute anything to the debate either though, right?
Marsman wrote:Regarding Nuendo I still see the strategy behind like:

Cubase -> Music Production Tool $
Nuendo -> Post Production Tools $$
Nuendo + NEK -> Flagship for all purposes $$$
The strategy is not profitable. The division between Nuendo owners without the NEK and those with is roughly 70/30. Now do some simple maths and assume 100 people own nuendo:

(70 x $250) + (30 x $400) = $17,500 + $12,000 = $29,500

Now compare to Steinberg selling Nuendo with the NEK features - i.e only one version of Nuendo - for less money:

100 x $300 = $30,000

Relatively speaking a $500 increase in revenue. Try $350 and you get a $5,500 increase in revenue! This doesn't even include the lower costs due to easier production / distribution (i.e boxes, software development etc).

It also doesn't even talk about whether or not those extra $50 in increased cost for the post production professional to reach the "break even" point is really of any consequence. If that money amounts to more than two hours worth of billable work for the average post-pro I'd be surprised....

So the strategy clearly isn't good from a financial standpoint.
Marsman wrote:By the way, does anyone else appreciate the fact that we are getting ALL refined SEQ 6 features plus more, FOR FREE in less than half a year?
I do. I think that's great for owners of Nuendo 5.x. Kind'a makes me wonder when we'll see Nuendo 6 of course, but that's sort of irrelevant to the point you're making I guess...
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Marsman wrote:I still don´t get how certain users can keep on b*tching about Cubase and/or Nuendo for years and simply not move on if they are constantly unsatisfied with their software and the company behind. No one forces you to "torture" yourself if you feel like that.
So who do you complain to when the best tool for the job isn't quite good enough and no other tool comes close? One wonders who's torturing who.

The problem is that many feel there's no where to move to. I've tried them all now, and nothing is perfect, all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Now if money was no object, and all the best features of all the DAWs out there where rolled into one... don't poke me; let me dream for a moment... :D

Kid Dropper Sound

Post by Kid Dropper Sound » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Breeze wrote:
Marsman wrote:I still don´t get how certain users can keep on b*tching about Cubase and/or Nuendo for years and simply not move on if they are constantly unsatisfied with their software and the company behind. No one forces you to "torture" yourself if you feel like that.
So who do you complain to when the best tool for the job isn't quite good enough and no other tool comes close? One wonders who's torturing who.

The problem is that many feel there's no where to move to. I've tried them all now, and nothing is perfect, all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Now if money was no object, and all the best features of all the DAWs out there where rolled into one... don't poke me; let me dream for a moment... :D
well said, that's how I feel. For the most part, I know I'm using the top of the line, I work quickly with few hang ups. It's not perfect and it never will be. N5 workhorse supported by PT9 delivery system, there is no where else to go for post.
Win7 64 i7 24gb
RME FF400
AVID CONTROL - MIX - TRANSPORT
N5.5.2 - Pro Tools 10.0 CPTK
JBL LSR4326+4312
Jbridge, EQuality, COMPassion
www.kdsound.net

Brandy

Post by Brandy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

thedug wrote:I would be happy running Cubase but when my clients say "do you have protools" (which the all do) and I say "Cubase" that think "oh used that it's not a professional recording app". If you say Nuendo they usually say "Never heard of it. what's that".

So I'm stuck using Nuendo because of a branding issue, yet I get stuck with year old features.

D/
Haha! Just stepped over your post - SAME here :-)

Thouh I am currently using C5 and my current clients don't care, they are all using C5 so we are highly compatible OR just don't care - but I will happily go back to Nuendo soon :-)
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C9.5 - N6.5 - WL9 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Brandy wrote:
thedug wrote:I would be happy running Cubase but when my clients say "do you have protools" (which the all do) and I say "Cubase" that think "oh used that it's not a professional recording app". If you say Nuendo they usually say "Never heard of it. what's that".

D/
Haha! Just stepped over your post - SAME here :-)

Thouh I am currently using C5 and my current clients don't care, they are all using C5 so we are highly compatible OR just don't care - but I will happily go back to Nuendo soon :-)

Same here... Well I do have and use PT too, so that gets that out of the way. I will work in any of them. The most recent artist said "Use what you prefer to work with." Which is totally cool by me. I fly using Nuendo and Cubase. Pretty happy with Nuendo as long as it doesn't crash, LOL.

As far as branding issue.. get PT9 native. It is cheap, will eliminate any stigmata and get more people into your joint, and that is the honest truth in music recording and production. The selling point once they come and visit your place is your work. The software will not be an issue then unless you have to be compatible... then you will since you now have PT! :)

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”