A 'lite' ver of Cubase for registered owners on the go.

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
MrSoundman

Re: A 'lite' ver of Cubase for registered owners on the go.

Post by MrSoundman »

Ruaridh wrote:Don't give up the fight! [I say "fight", of course I mean good natured debate which will lead to a better featured, more user friendly product!]
And debate we shall -- good-mannerly unto the death! :lol:
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

Ruaridh wrote:I'll fire up my lap-top as soon as I get a chance to check.

R.
that would be helpful for me please, I'm trying to decide whether to install le4 over my le1. my studio puter where I want to use le4 will never be hooked to the net
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Ruaridh

Post by Ruaridh »

bluebob wrote: that would be helpful for me please, I'm trying to decide whether to install le4 over my le1. my studio puter where I want to use le4 will never be hooked to the net
OK: I powered down the home PC, switched off the modem and router. I even pressed the wee button on my lap-top that disables all wireless devices. That puppy is now off the grid.

CS4 wouldn't start - no dongle plugged in, neither would C5.

LE4 started and ran at the first ask.

It took half an hour to get that image attatched!! ... maybe I should have left the cork in that bottle of Laphroaig untill after I'd posted!! :mrgreen:

R.

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

Ruaridh wrote:maybe I should have left the cork in that bottle of Laphroaig untill after I'd posted!! :mrgreen:

R.
thats some darn nice scotch.
thanks so much mate, thats great news. have good one
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Ruaridh

Post by Ruaridh »

bluebob wrote: thats some darn nice scotch.
Recorded on a Zoom H4, mixed and mastered in Cubase le4.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=10211773

:mrgreen:

R.

Post by Guest »

Ruaridh wrote:LE4 started and ran at the first ask.
Yeah, but could you record, add tracks or save? ;)

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

Ruaridh wrote:
bluebob wrote: thats some darn nice scotch.
Recorded on a Zoom H4, mixed and mastered in Cubase le4.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=10211773

:mrgreen:

R.
:lol: thats the best recording I've heard all day, thankyou..don't if I do, cheers!
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Ruaridh

Post by Ruaridh »

mashedmitten wrote:
Oh ye of little faith!

[Edit: My Laproag "track" was done on a dongle less le4 machine and Crofter also says it works fine for him (at the end of page 3)

It works fine without a dongle and without an internet conection. A software licence is stored on your hard drive.

/Edit]

R.
Last edited by Ruaridh on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ruaridh

Post by Ruaridh »

bluebob wrote: :lol: thats the best recording I've heard all day, thankyou..don't if I do, cheers!
Yup. Hey: it's a special occasion: it's 4month and 14 days since my 47th birthday! That's the sort of thing that you really have to celibrate! :mrgreen:

R.

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

mashedmitten wrote:
Ruaridh wrote:LE4 started and ran at the first ask.
this is getting more interesting than the american idol thread :mrgreen: now I do need that drink
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Post by Guest »

celtsound wrote:While the LE versions are certainly a good option, you have to be really careful about file compatibility. The full version of Cubase 5 can open LE5 generated files, but I don't think it works the other way round. So I have 2 suggestions
That's what AI is for but a warning it has even less (2) VST slots.

One would hope for a least 4 to make it more usable but it's an option if you need it.

El Professor

Post by El Professor »

Hey: the one dongle "super licence" thread on the old forum started on the Cubase page and was moved to The Lounge. Now one licence allows access to all smaller versions.
that's good to know, I was thinking that perhaps not being on the Cubase 6 forum, the developers might not catch the thread..(kind of swept under the rug)...but now I feel better.

Now that some of us have had their imbibing rituals, cheers on that front and lets see if there's any more
technical suggestions lurking out there but kept quiet thus far.

The concept=> back and forth compatibility with C6 full version and on the go version:

on the go version can record a gig or a night out at a friends to jam or a short overnight trip and sitting in a hotel room or on an airplane with your laptop and headphones, etc. From sketch pad use to recording a gig use, no dongle needed.

1. some decent minimal audio tracks

2. some decent minimal midi tracks
(including a few VSTinstrument tracks for a live keyboard controller or midi guitar/drum controller)

3. some decent minimal editing of both midi and audio (to fix any noticeable overlooked mistakes on the break)

4. no scoring stuff needed, we're not printing charts, that work should've been done ahead of time and at home/studio
and if you really need to do that, you can resort to paper and pencil

5. same basic connection to any audio interface and also the built in i/o if needed (I sometimes just record rehearsals using built in mics rather than purchase a zoom or other type of device)..simple and serves the purpose of making rehearsal tapes/cds for shows coming up to give players so they can remember the arrangements in their ears.

On the go version convenient for playback device on gig.

6. a simple headphone buss (new idea) in case we need to send a click track to a drummer or other players when using the Playback at venues, parties, gigs, etc.

Someone suggested bouncing down the audio and playing back a stereo mix or use some other software.

I feel that a basic C6 to go version would blow that option out of the water and I really don't wish to use other software if I don't have to. (That's a big if!) As I'd prefer to be able to re-eq or adjust the volume of a low end track (bass, kick, low sounds in general) if the room is too boomy, for example. Or if someone is going to sit in and they play an instrument that is part of the playback, I can now mute that track without upsetting anything else. (e.g. a percussionist sits in, mute percussion track)

I own a M-Audio Axiom 49. It has transport controls and some faders that can be routed to control either channels on the mixer or the groups. That way I can mix the tracks from the Axiom and start / stop with it also as a playback controller on gigs. (not to mention having a VST instrument loaded for some live playing via the keyboard.)

7. So a flexible useable mixer would be good, - no need to have too many automation bells and whistles (that can be rendered into a track and then have the track re-imported in the full version for using live in the to-go version.)
If you find you didn't like it last night, you can fix it at home. Not as necessary as being able to mute a track.

8. A couple inserts, and fx slots and the possibility to edit the efx. Different rooms react differently to reverbs, delays, etc. If you can turn them down, shorten/lengthen them, etc. at the gig it would be nice. That's what sound checks are for.

Any other ideas or options, etc.

el profe, LG
*Software:
Cubase 10.0.30.236 using Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Cubase 10.0.30.236 using Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
Cubase 8.0.40 also on Mac El Capitan OS X.10.11.6
Cubase 8.0.40 on 2nd boot drive with Mac Mavericks 10.9.5
Dorico 2.2.20.1286 (soon to upgrade to 3) using Mac OS both 10.13.6 (High Sierra) + 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
*Hardware:
2008 MacPro 2.8 GHz 8 core w/High Sierra 10.13.6 (or alt boots of El Capitan 10.11.6 or Yosemite 10.10.5)
+52 gigs RAM + dual monitors ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card)
MOTU 424 PCI, M-Audio interfaces
* Laptop
2011 MacBook Pro 17" OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
ProSonus USB interface
*Mac iPadPro 9.7" with Cubasis
- will be experimenting with Lemur and other touch controller sofware

Post by Guest »

A slimmed down version would not require sends on audio channels, as groups or FX channels can be used instead.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

The more features people want in the "cut down" version, the less "cut down" it becomes ... really, just the ability to play back one stereo track and one MIDI track (set to omni so 16 channels are available) while recording (I suggest 8 tracks max.) would be more than enough for me.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

El Professor

Post by El Professor »

IN the new Cubase 6 Quick Start Guide there is a listing of all the features of the various versions of Cubase.
I suggest that a good balance of features for a To Go version for OWNERS OF THE FULL VERSION would be something along the order of Cubase AI with a few improvements.

First the AI features, then the improvements (since the people using this will be owners of the full version, they might not want to dumb down some features for sake of the soniq quality they've already paid for).

AI current documented features shown in the current Cubase 6.0 Quick Start Guide

Audio tracks 32
MID tracks 48
Instrument tracks 16
VST instrument slots 8
Group channels 8
FX channels 4
Audio channel insert slots 4
Audio channel send slots 4
MIDI inserts/ sends 0
Physical I/Os* 16
Max. audio resolution 96

proposed improvements for Cubase 6 "to go" for Registered Users of Cubase 6

Group Channels 24
Physical I/Os 24

reasoning: If you playing a gig and you want control over a drumset via an external mixer that has say an ADAT connection and your Audio I/O is a simple but pro device such as mine (MOTU TRAVELER built for exactly this application) you can have 8 channels out for your drums/percussion, and 8 more for your stereo/mono tracks outs
e.g.
st. gtr 1 leads,
st. gtr 2 rhythm,
mono bass track,
stereo background vocals,
stereo keys 1
stereo keys 2
--------------------
that's 11 tracks plus ADAT drum/perc (8) = 19 outs right there.

and if you're singing and playing an instrument(s) you'll need some inputs...

so 16 might be better it it were increased to 24.
If this request was made possible via software elicensing and it were 16, I'm sure I'd survive and work with it, but 24 would add a nice flexibility for those gigs where you have a nice big mixer and still want control via that mixer and not a pre-ordained mix in your studio that turns out to be not so great on a live show.

Just a note on how I've already seen this at work, but with a hardware solution that could have been replaced by my laptop and a To Go version of Cubase.

I've toured So. America and Central America doing shows where the singer who brought along with our full band, a Roland hardware playback device that the keyboard player ran. It had 24 tracks and had all of them used up with stereo groups of horns, percussion, sfx, back vox, strings, ethinic instruments (e.g. accordions, mandolins, etc.) and other stuff. By taking those 'dry' stereo groups thru the board and using the sound companies available efx, the tracks sounded more like the live band that the tracks were enhancing. The band sounded great and the audiences loved it. I video taped some of the shows from the a position at the FOH (front of the house) mixing station, letting the engineer turn the camera on/off record/stop and got some excellent videos. It was hard to tell that the tracks were pre-recorded, except visually you didn't see those extra people (the stages were already pretty packed, so they wouldn't have been able to fit anyway...)

The 'dry' concept works when you have a great sound playback setup.
For smaller gigs it would be great to have the fx options. (rev, echo, and 2 other options seems reasonable.)

best,

el profe, LG
*Software:
Dorico 2.2.20.1286 (soon to upgrade to 3) using Mac OS both 10.13.6 (High Sierra) + 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
*Hardware:
2008 MacPro 2.8 GHz 8 core w/High Sierra 10.13.6 (or alt boots of El Capitan 10.11.6 or Yosemite 10.10.5)
* Laptop
ProSonus USB interface

Post by Guest »

Why not document the current features of AI and work from there instead? :oops:

El Professor

Post by El Professor »

;^)
*Software:
*Hardware:
* Laptop
ProSonus USB interface

crofter

Post by crofter »

mashedmitten wrote:LE4 needs a connection at all times to use it. You can download the license to a USB key, but that defeats the purpose of this discussion.
This statement is completely wrong, I use LE4 and LE 5 on different laptops all the time with no internet connection, works perfectly.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Your requests may now be answered -- Steinberg have just announced Cubase Elements 6 which promises project-file compatibility ("derivate project compatibility"):
Product announcement
Feature comparison
Haven't been able to find a price yet, but if this works without a dongle (e.g. software eLicenser) I may be in ...

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

.... according to this post on a German website Cubase Elements 6 should retail at €100 (currently about US $145).

Having examined the feature list, I have to ask why on earth did they have to remove all the MIDI plugins?

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Because the removed the midi insert slots ;)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”