Please bring back channel type colors

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Re: Campaign - Please bring back channel type colors

Post by JMCecil »

DaveDaveDave wrote:I agree with everything that you say except - PLEASE don't take away my group tracks!
What is a group track, other than an audio track that can have lots of other audio tracks routed to it? In other words it's just an audio track. There is no "take it away" because it was never anything to begin with but a kludge job while the borgz figured out how to get free routing. Which we still don't have.

Wouldn't you just like to send to any audio track?
Wouldn't you like to be able to record the sum directly onto the group track?
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

chase

Post by chase »

JMCecil wrote:What is a group track, other than an audio track that can have lots of other audio tracks routed to it? In other words it's just an audio track. There is no "take it away" because it was never anything to begin with but a kludge job while the borgz figured out how to get free routing. Which we still don't have.
I always assumed they were created to be like group tracks in a real mixer.

I know they have other roles in Cubase, but when I use Cubase's group tracks like real mixer group tracks, I'm quite happy to have them coloured to make it easier to see which fader to move.

Of course, I wouldn't object to being able to colour any fader in any way I wanted, but I'd be happy to have a one default colour come up for group tracks and another for effect tracks - even if the only actual difference between the two was the colour. That's because I find it helpful to have different colours, and (I think) it would be easier(?) to use a menu to create a group track (with its default colour) than to use a menu to create a generic audio track and then give it an appropriate colour.

Perhaps your suggested way of defining your own Track/Channel presets would work for me, but I think my presets would include group track and FX track - so I'd be pleased if they came as factory presets.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

chase wrote:
JMCecil wrote:What is a group track, other than an audio track that can have lots of other audio tracks routed to it? In other words it's just an audio track. There is no "take it away" because it was never anything to begin with but a kludge job while the borgz figured out how to get free routing. Which we still don't have.
I always assumed they were created to be like group tracks in a real mixer.

I know they have other roles in Cubase, but when I use Cubase's group tracks like real mixer group tracks, I'm quite happy to have them coloured to make it easier to see which fader to move.

Of course, I wouldn't object to being able to colour any fader in any way I wanted, but I'd be happy to have a one default colour come up for group tracks and another for effect tracks - even if the only actual difference between the two was the colour. That's because I find it helpful to have different colours, and (I think) it would be easier(?) to use a menu to create a group track (with its default colour) than to use a menu to create a generic audio track and then give it an appropriate colour.

Perhaps your suggested way of defining your own Track/Channel presets would work for me, but I think my presets would include group track and FX track - so I'd be pleased if they came as factory presets.
I think you are mis-interpreting my comments.

C6 already seems to have lost the "coloring" of the fader backgrounds on the mixer of all types .. groups included. I am in %100 agreement that having fader background color is extremely useful. I want the colors back too. I was just re-iterating an old rant about audio tracks from long ago. And you would lose nothing and gain a lot with my concept. I seriously doubt we will get what I want. I have no expectation there.

But, at a minimum .. we all want the background colors back. They said they would look into it ... which is encouraging.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

chase

Post by chase »

JMCecil wrote:I think you are mis-interpreting my comments.
Sorry if I misread you.
JMCecil wrote:But, at a minimum .. we all want the background colors back. They said they would look into it ... which is encouraging.
Yes it is. And I was rather surprised to read Chris say they would look into it - seems hard to believe that removing the colours could have been just a mistake, but equally hard to believe SB would so readily consider reversing a deliberate choice.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

chase wrote:seems hard to believe that removing the colours could have been just a mistake, but equally hard to believe SB would so readily consider reversing a deliberate choice.
Yeah, I'm curious about that as well ... it's fun to speculate

Was it
a) hotly contested internal debate
b) interface coding Uh-Oh they hoped would go quietly by
c) conscious design decision
d) couldn't get that part of the code back in before cut/off date
e) some combination of all the above

to respond so quickly suggests it was already on "the list"

All speculation of course.

DaDa

Re: Please bring back channel type colors

Post by DaDa »

f) a VIU ( very important user ) like tester Bredo ;) , was annoyed by all those amateurish colors.

8-)
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|
System SSD | 7tb Data HDs
RME RayDat | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Steinberg UR 824
Win7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 8.5.20 64bit | Samplitude X3 64bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore

Post by Guest »

DaDa wrote:a VIU ( very important user ) like tester Bredo ;) , was annoyed by all those amateurish colors.
Well I'm probably not important but personally I could not care less, except insofar as how it affects others.

Actually I am of the view that it is likely to do with the same reason that the font was taken away in C5, that is internal styles are incompatible with newer program code.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

JMCecil wrote:
chase wrote:seems hard to believe that removing the colours could have been just a mistake, but equally hard to believe SB would so readily consider reversing a deliberate choice.
Yeah, I'm curious about that as well ... it's fun to speculate

Was it
a) hotly contested internal debate
b) interface coding Uh-Oh they hoped would go quietly by
c) conscious design decision
d) couldn't get that part of the code back in before cut/off date
e) some combination of all the above

to respond so quickly suggests it was already on "the list"

All speculation of course.
I've some even meaner speculations in my sick brain, but as I have not a shred of ... anything, I might as well STFU! :mrgreen:

They talk it over on Monday and soon the problem is gone! 8-)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

patcub

Post by patcub »

I hope so. IMO it's different than the font problem when C5.5 was released.

This color problem adds to the mixer's mess.

I understand they tried to do the same as Nuendo. But Nuendo is aimed for post. Professionals studios that I know doing post work like this :
- mixing engineers work with a big desk in front of them (Neve, D-command, SSL, Euphonix...), everything is done with the console (automation, etc.)
- editing work for dialogs, ambiance, etc doesn't require mixer, it's all about cut, paste, editing fades, etc.

But for producing music, we need midi, FX, group, audio tracks all in the box. That's why I find the backgriound colors on the faders to be important.

It's easy to have 50, 70 or 90 tracks while producing music : vocals for the chorus, for the verse, doubling leads, background vocals with harmonies 3rds, 5th, 8th, doubling guitars, 10 tracks for the drums, synth parts, keys, bass, reverbs, delays, etc.

You know what I'm talking about :mrgreen:

Please Steinberg, help us on this one.

dawtuition.com

Post by dawtuition.com »

I wont upgrade if this color/colour scheme in the mixer is fixed grey.

Color/Colour Psychology:

Gray is timeless, practical, and solid. A longstanding favorite suit color, gray can mix well with any color. Although well like and often worn, people rarely name gray as a favorite color possibly because Gray also is associated with loss or depression.

How the color gray affects us physically and mentally, unsettling and expectant.

No support for XP, 5.5.2 still with lots of known issuses and all stieny can do is milk the cow with another paid update that contains fundermental changes like this. What a dumb-ass decision if true.

Post by Guest »

dawtuition.com wrote:No support for XP, 5.5.2 still with lots of known issues and all stieny can do is milk the cow with another paid update that contains fundamental changes like this.
We won't know until we try to see what has been addressed in 6x and besides many of the new features are worth it anyway. :idea:

dawtuition.com

Post by dawtuition.com »

bentley wrote:
dawtuition.com wrote:No support for XP, 5.5.2 still with lots of known issues and all stieny can do is milk the cow with another paid update that contains fundamental changes like this.
the new features are worth it anyway. :idea:
the new features are not worth the time consuming issues and expenses related to a complete reinstall. I can just see me explaining to my bank manager that I closed my studio for 1 week so I could upgrade Cubase 6, which turned into 3 weeks becasue of technical problems all for the fab new feature called "Notepad track data export"...

The headline featue of Cubase 6 is "Edit faster with less clicks" - thats it. All of what I read about Cubase 6 was possible in Cubase 5. - not NEW features, rebranded, enhanced yes but not new.

Expression is new and looks great.

I dont need another Amp Rack.

Sonic SE? Less is more when it comes to sounds... imo...

Loopmash2 - I was the only person that liked it... then it went missing after an update.. never to be seen again.. support told me to get a new pc... doubt anyone wanted this going by what I read on the old forum.

Eye Candy, this mixer is grey...

Dont use TimeStretching cause it has always sounded naff in any DAW and always will and there are better alternatives.

Have no intent on taking my media bay anywhere. "Hey you, whats that in your pocket?" " Hay baby thats my media bay"... nah!

What I do want are all the know issues to be fixed in Cubase 5 because I/we paid for it!

Post by Guest »

What I do want are all the know issues to be fixed in Cubase 5 because I/we paid for it!
Fair point, but that's not how the product lifecycle works unfortunately.

In any case, if your DAW is working, then where is the problem?

dawtuition.com

Post by dawtuition.com »

bentley wrote:
Fair point, but that's not how the product lifecycle works unfortunately.

In any case, if your DAW is working, then where is the problem?
I dont care much for the term "life cycle" it means nothing really becasue many of the know issues raised in the previous forum were raised before CB6 so should have been addressed. I notice that CB4 know issues were not fixed in that verison, or as you call "life cylce" as well and that this it appearing to becoming a trend. Take one issue, Nudging events. This was broken in the "life Cycle" of CB5 and was stated by Chris would be adressed in CB6 in the previous forum. Thats not fair to people stuck on XP who use that feature.. ME!

anyway this topic is about channel colours.

Post by Guest »

dawtuition.com wrote:Thats not fair to people stuck on XP who use that feature.. ME!

anyway this topic is about channel colours.
I'm sure DaDa won't mind being a veteran of bug smashing himself.

Anyway, C6/CA6 is not guaranteed (nor is it supported) to work on anything below W7.

Maybe your best bet is to install Vista if you don't want to go the whole hog, providing of course your system can handle it.

I've been using Vista ever since longhorn was a beta, and it has matured into a very stable system.

Sure I've had some really annoying issues with drivers and the way windows handles audio, but when it works, it's about as stable as you'll get, meaning that it runs for very long periods under constant strain and continual use.

HTH

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

chase wrote:
JMCecil wrote:I think you are mis-interpreting my comments.
Sorry if I misread you.
JMCecil wrote:But, at a minimum .. we all want the background colors back. They said they would look into it ... which is encouraging.
Yes it is. And I was rather surprised to read Chris say they would look into it - seems hard to believe that removing the colours could have been just a mistake, but equally hard to believe SB would so readily consider reversing a deliberate choice.
+1. Sounds like the disabling of the mix knob in Reverence when used on group/FX tracks. This was said to be looked into as well as nothing ever came of it after Steinberg themselves decided to make this change right at the very end of Cubase 5's life cycle leaving all who updated to 5.5+ stuck with this new 'feature'.
Asus P8P67
8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

patcub wrote:IMO it's different than the font problem when C5.5 was released.

This color problem adds to the mixer's mess.

I understand they tried to do the same as Nuendo. But Nuendo is aimed for post. Professionals studios that I know doing post work like this :
- mixing engineers work with a big desk in front of them (Neve, D-command, SSL, Euphonix...), everything is done with the console (automation, etc.)
- editing work for dialogs, ambiance, etc doesn't require mixer, it's all about cut, paste, editing fades, etc.

But for producing music, we need midi, FX, group, audio tracks all in the box. That's why I find the backgriound colors on the faders to be important.

It's easy to have 50, 70 or 90 tracks while producing music : vocals for the chorus, for the verse, doubling leads, background vocals with harmonies 3rds, 5th, 8th, doubling guitars, 10 tracks for the drums, synth parts, keys, bass, reverbs, delays, etc.
Please Steinberg, help us on this one.
Very well said !
Obviously the only person really liking the new look, is a Nuendo user.

bye, Jan
Last edited by DaDa on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

HowlingUlf wrote:They talk it over on Monday and soon the problem is gone! 8-)
Hehe ...
what was that term, that bas used for me back in the old days :
hopeless optimistic ... I think.
8-)

Well, I'm not at all convinced, they'll change/fix that any time soon ...
Along with the 'transparent_event_background_gone' issue, I may have to skip yet another version of Cubase :cry:
BUT ... I don't want to ! :|

bye, Jan

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

Bredo wrote:
DaDa wrote:f) a VIU ( very important user ) like tester Bredo ;) , was annoyed by all those amateurish colors.8-)
I'm a paying tester like yourself Sir ;)
Ahh ... my apologies !
I must have 'mixed You up' ...
with Fredo ... ... ... no ... just joking !

bye, Jan
P.S.: off to edit my other 'tester ' post ;)

L. A. Stone

Post by L. A. Stone »

It's certainly unfortunate to find that they've removed something as useful as the color coding of the various different tracks. I was actually hoping for even better options for color coding. Like Pro Tools being able to color on a per track basis. That is truly useful. I want to make tracks even more obvious at a glance. I have to think this was an accident. Steinberg obviously knew the importance of this. Or maybe it was removed because some aspect of it clashed with the now more flexible custom colorization ability?

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

L. A. Stone wrote:Or maybe it was removed because some aspect of it clashed with the now more flexible custom colorization ability?
Yep, I think they tried to streamline the track/channel coloring.
But where is that more flexible ?

- The track colors moved from right to the left, replacing the track type colors.
- The individual color stripes at the bottom of a mixer channel are not new.
- There's a new option, to give track types a user selectable color

Summing this up, to me, it's a loss of flexibility :
In V6. the user must decide, whether he wants individual colors for instruments, etc,
or track/channel type colors.

While I see an advantage in coloring the left part of the track,
against the small color strip on the right ( which I never used ),
the color bar at the bottom of the mixer is not clear enough (IMO).

A simple solution would be :
Add an option, to colorcode the background of a track / mixer channel, with a 'type' color.
Everything else can stay as it is.

bye, Jan

bye, Jan

patcub

Post by patcub »

DaDa wrote:
L. A. Stone wrote:Or maybe it was removed because some aspect of it clashed with the now more flexible custom colorization ability?
Yep, I think they tried to streamline the track/channel coloring.
But where is that more flexible ?

- The track colors moved from right to the left, replacing the track type colors.
- The individual color stripes at the bottom of a mixer channel are not new.

Summing this up, to me, it's a loss of flexibility :
In V6. the user must decide, whether he wants individual colors for instruments, etc,
or track/channel type colors.

While I see an advantage in coloring the left part of the track,
against the small color strip on the right ( which I never used ),
the color bar at the bottom of the mixer is not clear enough (IMO).

A simple solution would be :
Add an option, to colorcode the background of a track / mixer channel, with a 'type' color.

bye, Jan

bye, Jan
Hi Jan,

where can I find more infos about this new color options in C6 ? Can you detail those two points :
Please, what is that refering to ?

EDIT : oh maybe you're talking about the project window ? What about the options available for the mixer ? any change in C6 from what you know ?

goddfodder

Post by goddfodder »

y'know,.. yeah i got used to it as was. liked it. used it.

I think the new look, to me, looks pretty damn slick... Havent used it so cant judge but yeah it is perhaps slightly less user friendly. I was surprised at this 'progress.'

Is it the end of the world?? no. Will it significantly hinder my ability to use cubase effectively?? i doubt it. I guess you gotta roll with the punches. but in time, once im used to it, i dont think its gonna be much of an issue.
Cubase 7/6/5/4 ~ i7 950 ~ Asus P6X58D-E ~ 12Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ~ ATI Radeon HD 5850 ~ 2T Samsung ~ Akasa Nero S ~ Win 7 (64) ~ Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 ~ Yamaha KX 25, Yamaha KX 49, Novation Impulse 61.~ Yamaha HS80's.

chase

Post by chase »

L. A. Stone wrote:A simple solution would be :
While that WOULD get away from the all-grey approach, it adds another step - first create the track/channel, then colour the channel.

I, for one, prefer just one step - eg create a group or FX channel and get the default colour automatically in the mixer.

(But additional colouring options could also be handy.)

chase

Post by chase »

goddfodder wrote:I guess you gotta roll with the punches.
But why must there BE punches?

When something's working well, why not leave it alone?

Or perhaps add options to improve it - not just take options away.

(Remember: Reverence greyed-out button, font change, tool-box changed from rectangle to linear array, ... you know the ones I mean - can't recall every one rightl at the moment.)

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”