Please bring back channel type colors

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Re: Please bring back channel type colors

Post by Centralmusic »

jalusblu wrote:I like the idea of being able to colour code the fader cap. That's a good idea.
Absolutely.
By the way, Steinberg (!) had built in "color code fader caps" years ago in V-Stack:!

= not too colorful, professional, very slick, great clear view!
And that would be my personal favorite.
I choose this one. With user adjustments in the preferences.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

As long as all these potential colour implementations are options, then we should all be happy. I like the mixer options in Digital Performer 7, it is highly customizable, hopefully our esteemed product managers at SB do look around at some of the other products (not just SloTools!).

The stock colour scheme is gray on gray, so this one here has been coloured to the users preference, even the meters are custom.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

Helge Vogt

Post by Helge Vogt »

CinStudios wrote:I really would like to see Steinberg jump on the long instituted feature of having user defined Icons per track as well. Like being able to assign the picture of a drum to a drum track, mic to a vocal track, etc.

Almost all other software does this and its very helpful in locating various track types (by CONTENT) in a hurry.
Sure thing. Life would be also easier if you could take a picture of an amp/mic setting and stick it to the channel for later reference. So this is on the list (not since today) but won't be done until a complete mixer overhaul.

cheers,
Helge
Helge Vogt - Team Lead Product Marketing Group
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

I hate such user defined icons per track. I am a visual aesthete.
If Steinberg want to be integrated such icon feature forward in time, I´m sure we can certainly turn this off.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar »

Helge Vogt wrote:Sure thing. Life would be also easier if you could take a picture of an amp/mic setting and stick it to the channel for later reference. So this is on the list (not since today) but won't be done until a complete mixer overhaul.

cheers,
Helge
Ooh that would be good! So the 'how did I get that vocal sound' and 'which guitar did I use for this track' would be avoided by taking a quick photo! That sounds pretty cool!

So when is this 'complete mixer overhaul' of which you speak?! :hyper:
Rok
It's my birthday!

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

Helge Vogt wrote:Life would be also easier if you could take a picture of an amp/mic setting and stick it to the channel for later reference. So this is on the list (not since today) but won't be done until a complete mixer overhaul.
I certainly hope this will be OPTIONAL, cause I'm not interested in visually clogging up my mixer with photos or custom icons or other fancy colorful stuff. Thanks.

By the way - the idea of storing a photo or other document for later reference inside the Cubase project sounds great - but IMO should be part of a 'notes' function.

Luck, Arjan
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

abstract_iv wrote:...
Also + for the old requests about adding 4 inserts, 4 sends and the 4 eq bands together on every channel (as on every real mixing console!) -> simply more extended view of the mixer!!!
erm...that would be already possible without much programming!
temporarily that would be at least very very useful - an additional mixer view with 4 inserts/4 sends!
(It´s clear, because of the given size of the actual C6 mixer) :

opinions?
Last edited by Centralmusic on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Arjan P wrote:By the way - the idea of storing a photo or other document for later reference inside the Cubase project sounds great - but IMO should be part of a 'notes' function.

Luck, Arjan
Yes and maybe archive audio that has been downsampled.

Cheers

RokGeetar

Post by RokGeetar »

Centralmusic wrote:opinions?
Love it! Want it! 8-) If EQ curves could be on there too that would be even coolier!
Rok
It's my birthday!

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

RokGeetar wrote:
Love it! Want it! 8-)

If EQ curves could be on there too that would be even coolier!
ok...;-)

But what do you think about this?
(some time ago I had posted this in the old cubase forum!)

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1957/b ... emixer.jpg

?

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Those EQ curves are freakin sexy! I do prefer the Cubase 6 square fadercaps though ;)

edit: just noticed you also added dragging EQ settings. Is that not supported yet in some way or another?
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

Helge Vogt wrote:
CinStudios wrote:I really would like to see Steinberg jump on the long instituted feature of having user defined Icons per track as well. Like being able to assign the picture of a drum to a drum track, mic to a vocal track, etc.

Almost all other software does this and its very helpful in locating various track types (by CONTENT) in a hurry.
Sure thing. Life would be also easier if you could take a picture of an amp/mic setting and stick it to the channel for later reference. So this is on the list (not since today) but won't be done until a complete mixer overhaul.

cheers,
Helge
You can kinda sorta already do dat if you pop a picture into a Panel in the the Device Manager with the size set to fit in the mixer.

But it looks better without!

Talking of overhauls and Device Panels ... :idea:
What about refreshing the great but neglected tools in the Device Panels in a foreseeable future?

Sorry for drifting off topic ...
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 11 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 7
Win10 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Akai MPD218 |

patcub

Post by patcub »

Helge Vogt wrote:

cheers,
Helge
Thanks for this information. and when will this "complete mixer overhaul" going to be ? :mrgreen:
Is this planned for the C6 lifecycle or a Cubase 7 release ?

JezCorbett

Post by JezCorbett »

Centralmusic wrote:
RokGeetar wrote:
Love it! Want it! 8-)

ok...;-)

?
That is PHENOMENAL!

It's something I've often asked about, but discussions on the subject never seem to gain much traction :(

I'm FED UP of switching between send and insert view, and I always use EQ as an insert as it's quicker than using the actual channel EQ!
Work system: Nuendo 8.3.20 / 10.3 | Windows 10 | AMD 3800X | 32GB RAM
Home system: Nuendo 5.5 | Windows 10 | AMD 3900X | 32GB RAM

patcub

Post by patcub »

JezCorbett wrote:
Centralmusic wrote:
RokGeetar wrote: Love it! Want it! 8-)

ok...;-)

?
That is PHENOMENAL!

It's something I've often asked about, but discussions on the subject never seem to gain much traction :(

I'm FED UP of switching between send and insert view, and I always use EQ as an insert as it's quicker than using the actual channel EQ!
+1

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

OK ...
lets bring this back 'on route' ;)

Thanks Steinberg, for colored fader caps !!!

bye, Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|
System SSD | 7tb Data HDs
RME RayDat | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Steinberg UR 824
Win7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 8.5.20 64bit | Samplitude X3 64bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore

goddfodder

Post by goddfodder »

Personally, I'm just happy with the interaction here. Love how Steinberg actually take on board and consider this mighty hive mind which occasionally comes forward in this forum. A good idea has evolved and become a reality here. That's a great thing!
Cubase 7/6/5/4 ~ i7 950 ~ Asus P6X58D-E ~ 12Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ~ ATI Radeon HD 5850 ~ 2T Samsung ~ Akasa Nero S ~ Win 7 (64) ~ Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 ~ Yamaha KX 25, Yamaha KX 49, Novation Impulse 61.~ Yamaha HS80's.

Ian s

Post by Ian s »

Yes, thanks for listening and doing the coulered fader caps, especially the green one ;)
C10.5 Pro | W10 | MR 816CSX, 3x MR 816X | CC121| ES-175D | ES-345

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

Ian s wrote:Yes, thanks for listening and doing the coulered fader caps, especially the green one ;)
Ian, please can you post a screenshot of this, with all fader cap types?
(erm...I am visual aesthetic and a little nervous fo this new GUI improvement)

Thanks in advance!

But: pre-release approach when anybody can decide whether to go this way or wait for official patch later.
(...which makes me hope)
;-)

Ian s

Post by Ian s »

I'll do one when I turn the studio machine on.

you can choose wether or not to implement this feature by a cap colour intensity preference.

Audio and group tracks are shades of blue that are a bit similar. A bit of a shame, as the way I lay out my mixer can mean the ones I really want to stand out are Group and FX channels.

With full intensity the green cap turns transparent, which actually looks not bad, although I guess it's not by design!

But for me it's a big improvement on all white.

Give it a tweak in the full update, and it'll be grand, for those that want it.

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

Centralmusic wrote:Ian, please can you post a screenshot of this, with all fader cap types?
(erm...I am visual aesthetic and a little nervous fo this new GUI improvement)
No need to fear ...
You can adjust the color saturation from 'no' to 'full'.
I have only one issue : The colors for group and audio channels are a bit close.

bye, Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|
System SSD | 7tb Data HDs
RME RayDat | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Steinberg UR 824
Win7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 8.5.20 64bit | Samplitude X3 64bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

ok, DaDa.
But I hope the audio channel fader caps will continue to be white in the final update.
group, instrument track and FX channel caps are welcome to be in color. my personal opinion.

The best way: free adjustable color settings for every channel cap type!

@ Ian: please post!
Ian s wrote: Audio and group tracks are shades of blue that are a bit similar. A bit of a shame..
:( not good...

Ian s

Post by Ian s »

New Fader Caps:
Attachments
Fader caps.PNG
(148.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

thank: you very much, Ian!
as you said it: Audio and group tracks caps are a bit similar (!!)
and again: I hope the audio channel fader caps will continue to be white in the final update (!!!)
but finally: for me it´s a good improvement in the right direction.
now: the coffee is ready, the only thing important at the moment (!!!!)
regards: central.

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

Ian s wrote:New Fader Caps: <Attachment>
So, what's the status on this? Is this still tossing ideas around, or is this something that can already be achieved in Cubase? Couldn't really find any evidence on that in the thread, so I guess it's a compliment on your graphic skills 8-)

Luck, Arjan
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”