Any news on Cubase 6 ?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Post Reply
HeavyBeats
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 am
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by HeavyBeats »

Centralmusic wrote:
Sonik wrote:It's an LE version of HalionSonic... ;)
Horrible!!! Not again halb-baked Synths like HalionOne, or GrooveAgentOne!!!
we need a onboard-Sampler.

:cry:
Complete agree with you Centralmusic. Where is the problem to make a small sampler possible. This is really sad, because not every musician out there is a presets *hat stand* :cry:
Cubase 8, Reason 8, Studio One,NI Komplete 8 , Halion 5...

User avatar
Quietly
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Quietly »

EdDoll wrote:It looks like it can at least be installed and started on Windows XP but we haven't tested anything so not sure if there's something that might not work.
Thanks for the information.

"Therefore, Steinberg has decided that its future products will only be tested on and developed for the latest Mac OS X and Windows operating systems. Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7 is highly recommended for customers still running Windows XP/Vista or systems older than Mac OS X 10.6.

Technical support, however, will be provided for all operating systems required by older products, and existing support documents will remain in the support area on Steinberg.net."

Here I am quietly using a Yamaha 01X that Yamaha decides it is not going to update the drivers to work on Windows 7, in a word thanks for buying it; now throw it in the bin or use it as a door stop if you go to 7. XP is as solid as a rock for me and my old head says why change something that ain't broke and if at the same time you have throw out an 01X that works perfectly then you will understand the reluctance.

So I'm still hoping that 6 will work on XP despite not being officially tested on it :? Worst case I can stay on 5.5.2 and I can live with that.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

Quietly wrote:So I'm still hoping that 6 will work on XP despite not being officially tested on it :? Worst case I can stay on 5.5.2 and I can live with that.
I was on XP for a long time after using SX2 then upgraded to Vista.

Although versions prior to 4/5 worked better on XP I still needed to make the move so I could use other unrelated applications in the background (since XP would routinely lock up and I could lose work).

I had an old GO44 that I used with XP and then eventually Vista but it didn't work too well on the newer system and really seemed to be an XP driver with a vista installer. It's a shame companies like Yamaha can't better support their gear. I believe roland do a better job but hey their software is how do I put this "crap".

I found a driver for mLan but only 32 bit Vista so at least you will be able to get some stability.

Here is the link:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/dr ... s/01x/all/

Hope that helps

User avatar
Quietly
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Quietly »

bentley wrote:
Quietly wrote:So I'm still hoping that 6 will work on XP despite not being officially tested on it :? Worst case I can stay on 5.5.2 and I can live with that.
I was on XP for a long time after using SX2 then upgraded to Vista.

Although versions prior to 4/5 worked better on XP I still needed to make the move so I could use other unrelated applications in the background (since XP would routinely lock up and I could lose work).

I had an old GO44 that I used with XP and then eventually Vista but it didn't work too well on the newer system and really seemed to be an XP driver with a vista installer. It's a shame companies like Yamaha can't better support their gear. I believe roland do a better job but hey their software is how do I put this "crap".

I found a driver for mLan but only 32 bit Vista so at least you will be able to get some stability.

Here is the link:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/dr ... s/01x/all/

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply but surely Steinberg are not testing on Vista either so I cannot really see any advantage to going to Vista unless my old head is missing something apart from marbles LOL.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

Hi there

Here is a video you might find interesting:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+De ... ck-and-API

No hard feelings to mac users.

Cheers

User avatar
Quietly
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Quietly »

bentley wrote:Hi there

Here is a video you might find interesting:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+De ... ck-and-API

No hard feelings to mac users.

Cheers

Thanks Bentley very informative although much of it was way over my old head I did get the basics.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Centralmusic »

I'd be glad if they just brought back saving/convert fxp/fxb function!
hope so.
:(
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

SLiC
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by SLiC »

I realy wish Steinberg would stop adding VST instruments and effects and just make a better DAW; if you are a guitarist or record guitar you will almost certainly have Guitar Rig, Amplitube or POD Farm- unless the bundled effect is better than these...why bother? same goes for Halion whatver and every other bundled synth, IMHO it is a wate of programming effort when the market is flooded with cheap (free) and far supperior instruments and effects.

Still hoping for workflow improvements and DAW tools, what I realy want is better multiprocesser support; but I guess that isn't sexy to marketing people!

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Centralmusic »

@ SLiC:
That's true, of course...
But I think DAWs must have basic tools and basic vstis these days - for sake of competitive.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

User avatar
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by JMCecil »

SLiC wrote:I realy wish Steinberg would stop adding VST instruments and effects and just make a better DAW; if you are a guitarist or record guitar you will almost certainly have Guitar Rig, Amplitube or POD Farm- unless the bundled effect is better than these...why bother? same goes for Halion whatver and every other bundled synth, IMHO it is a wate of programming effort when the market is flooded with cheap (free) and far supperior instruments and effects.

Still hoping for workflow improvements and DAW tools, what I realy want is better multiprocesser support; but I guess that isn't sexy to marketing people!
I almost hurt myself laughing when the amp sims showed up. WTF? I'm another one that agrees that far too much time is spent in Cubendo on stuff that isn't DAW stuff. I look at it this way, some are unahppy because the included rompler is not powerful enough, some are unhappy because the rompler is a waste of time since there already options galore , some are unhappy because the rompler is just what they need but the sounds suck, some are unhappy because the knobs are too big, some are unhappy because the knobs are too small ...

as long as EVERYONE is unhappy, the Borgz have balanced it perfectly.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Centralmusic »

JMCecil wrote:[...some are unahppy because the included rompler is not powerful enough, some are unhappy because the rompler is a waste of time since there already options galore , some are unhappy because the rompler is just what they need but the sounds suck, some are unhappy because the knobs are too big, some are unhappy because the knobs are too small ...
.
likewise, that applies for Logic-, Sonar-, Pro Tools-, Samplitude-, Ableton- Studio One- and so on- DAW-Users too! LOL.

So, I´ll wait for the Borgz. :lol:
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

JMCecil wrote: I almost hurt myself laughing when the amp sims showed up. WTF? I'm another one that agrees that far too much time is spent in Cubendo on stuff that isn't DAW stuff.
The reason for the amp sims, etc. is to attract NEW customers. New customers will be swayed to purchase a program that has the most extras, especially someone new into DAW software who doesn't already own amp sims, synths, effect, etc. We Steinberg drones may not care about the new stuff as much, but regarding marketing and company survival purposes, Steinberg is doing the right thing.

Conman
Senior Member
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Conman »

Centralmusic wrote:
JMCecil wrote:[...some are unahppy because the included rompler is not powerful enough, some are unhappy because the rompler is a waste of time since there already options galore , some are unhappy because the rompler is just what they need but the sounds suck, some are unhappy because the knobs are too big, some are unhappy because the knobs are too small ...
.
likewise, that applies for Logic-, Sonar-, Pro Tools-, Samplitude-, Ableton- Studio One- and so on- DAW-Users too! LOL.

So, I´ll wait for the Borgz. :lol:
and we all know so much about marketing too. They should really employ all the unhappy peoples.

I'd like to see a Cubase mock up made out of all the suggestions made (to Frankensteinberg?). Maybe around April 1. :mrgreen:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

User avatar
The dman
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by The dman »

Sean Dockery wrote:
JMCecil wrote: I almost hurt myself laughing when the amp sims showed up. WTF? I'm another one that agrees that far too much time is spent in Cubendo on stuff that isn't DAW stuff.
The reason for the amp sims, etc. is to attract NEW customers. New customers will be swayed to purchase a program that has the most extras, especially someone new into DAW software who doesn't already own amp sims, synths, effect, etc. We Steinberg drones may not care about the new stuff as much, but regarding marketing and company survival purposes, Steinberg is doing the right thing.
Ok I have to confess I've never even fired up Steinbergs amp simulator or synths. Just not interested
Cubase 8.5.15 x64 Windows 10 Home
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3/ i72600k / G.SKILL Ripjaw (4 x 4GB)/SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU/ RME HDSP 9652 / UAD2Quad// Alphatrack/ Alesis HD24XR

http://www.woodstockschoolofmusic.com/

http://www.davedaltonmusic.com

Conman
Senior Member
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Conman »

Sean Dockery wrote:
JMCecil wrote: I almost hurt myself laughing when the amp sims showed up. WTF? I'm another one that agrees that far too much time is spent in Cubendo on stuff that isn't DAW stuff.
The reason for the amp sims, etc. is to attract NEW customers. New customers will be swayed to purchase a program that has the most extras, especially someone new into DAW software who doesn't already own amp sims, synths, effect, etc. We Steinberg drones may not care about the new stuff as much, but regarding marketing and company survival purposes, Steinberg is doing the right thing.
Not exactly true as all those who buy it for reasons like this are likely to complain the most and maybe put potential new but experienced, long term purchasers off. Long term users will pay the bi/tri-annual "rent" on the new versions because they don't expect the bells and whistles to be anything more than scratch pad aids to getting a project started and generally will have studied audio and engineering for a few years.
The new customers you allude to (such as songwriters typically) will likely be better off with a cheaper program like Sequel or Reaper for a year or two until they have an idea of how Cubase will work for them and an idea, hopefully from here, of how large and complex Cubase is. I mean songwriters want to write a song and not spend an hour setting up the studio mixing desk so all they really need is a Zoom h2 and a basic DAW.
But as with all DAWs some get it straight away and some never will and will just enter a "This DAW sux!" post because they cannot get that synth sound they heard on the radio last week and likely they won't upgrade.
As musicians we should all understand the importance of leaving them wanting more so they come back for the next show.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

User avatar
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by JMCecil »

Sean Dockery wrote:
JMCecil wrote: I almost hurt myself laughing when the amp sims showed up. WTF? I'm another one that agrees that far too much time is spent in Cubendo on stuff that isn't DAW stuff.
The reason for the amp sims, etc. is to attract NEW customers. New customers will be swayed to purchase a program that has the most extras, especially someone new into DAW software who doesn't already own amp sims, synths, effect, etc. We Steinberg drones may not care about the new stuff as much, but regarding marketing and company survival purposes, Steinberg is doing the right thing.
You cut my quote short .... the point of the rest of that, although not well written, is just that. Steinberg will do what they think they need to do to keep the doors open.

EDIT: And I count myself amongst the *witch* and moaners. I don't consider Steinberg to be one of those companies that acknowledges user feedback, but I do believe they "hear" it. So, all we can do is keep after them about what WE (I) want and hope it shows up in the code sometime.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

SLiC
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by SLiC »

I think the issue is a bit of USP and (mainly) keeping up with the Jones...

This is an interesting read...

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/revie ... blog/?p=71

asks if all DAWS are coming to the end of the product life cycle (all products look like each other and do the same thing, then there is only price (and Reaper would win that battle!)- Certainly Pro 1, Sonal X1 and new Reaper 4 all look the same now!

I still think people paying £400 for a DAW will have/buy better plugs- bundle the instruments/amp sims with Elements or Sequel and lower the cost (or increase the performance) of the DAW.

Now if NI make the DAW that they are leading up to with machine and bundle Komplete with it, that would take some beating as a 'beginers all in one' set up.

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Raphie »

So when can I order?!?
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

SLic it isn't only about plugs, it's about architecture and performance of the overall system.

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

[/quote]

Can't agree. I had PPG 2.3, CS80, Polysix and others. I sold them since I could not hear any difference to the emulated ones I own. I still have 10 hardware Synth's and samplers and I do not switch them on anymore.[/quote]

one thinks you might need a holiday in a physciatric hospital if thats the case , don't care what anyone says you can not have one audio engine or soundcard reproducing the different colours of all youR keyboards ,that my son is a load of crap ,

HARDCORE OUTBOARD HARDWARE USER !
old atari head
FREQ

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

I think you are right filterfreq about sound, there is little to compare.

All my life with "real" instruments surrounding my everyday I've now decided to downscale a bit, not lest save power!

No really it is because of the versatility factor.

With a computer based workstation (not plugin based) I can run a stable system and still have the benefits of hardware and when the time comes I can hire or purchase second hand gear when necessary.

It's not to say I don't have any hardware it is simply prioritizing my work practice from performance to more writing but I agree nothing sounds the same as the originals it is simply a case of integrating things together in a convenient way that's the problem.

Cheers mate

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

bentley wrote: I agree nothing sounds the same as the originals it is simply a case of integrating things together in a convenient way that's the problem.

Cheers mate
hi bentley ,we met again lol
i completely agree with what your saying ,its just silly statements people make about plugin's sound as good as the original ,iv'e had this argument with an apprentice that i got in too daw but he took the logic route and only uses plugin's his recordings sound terrible ,there is no way on this planet you can emulate a complete different circuit for each of 10 external devices and make there colour sound completely separate from the other ,the day they come up with a plugin that can truly emulate the jd800 i'll eat my well soiled pants ! But if plugins are as you say used in context and integrated in too the recording environment they can be fantastic help BUT not the be all and end all ,so hopefully c6 will be more on the workflow side instead of adding plugins !

kind regards

old atari head 1989
freq

Guest

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Guest »

filterfreak wrote:so hopefully c6 will be more on the workflow side instead of adding plugins !

kind regards

old atari head 1989
freq
I do believe many would share your view, however all those plugins that are the current vogue are likely outsourced anyway and would not drain resources from development staff (vst is an open standard after all) but the perception that Steinberg are pre-occupied with "hobby musicians" and "bedroom producers" is likely hard to counter.

As far as I'm aware Halion (not HAL1) is developed inhouse but maybe the content is not?

Anyway, if you have a decent multi-channel interface you can always bring analog back to the system as needed but personally I just use outboard gear for playback via a mixer and when recording dedicated hard disk technology (fostex and things like that) and export the data, up/down sample as necessary and let the engineers work it out if it doesn't sound up to par.

all the best mate

The Oracle
Junior Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by The Oracle »

filterfreak wrote:

one thinks you might need a holiday in a physciatric hospital if thats the case , don't care what anyone says you can not have one audio engine or soundcard reproducing the different colours of all youR keyboards ,that my son is a load of crap ,

HARDCORE OUTBOARD HARDWARE USER !
FREQ[/quote]

Don't worry, I'm fine :mrgreen:
We might talk end of this week again...

Chris Beuermann

Re: Any news on Cubase 6 ?

Post by Chris Beuermann »

Hello,


what would a studio cost to build 15 years ago with the same features/functions as Cubase ? :?

Cheers,

Chris

Post Reply

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests