UR22 cuts out intermittently

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
avryluy

Re: UR22 cuts out intermittently

Post by avryluy »

New Update:

Spent 4 hours performing a clean install of Win10 x64. Things seem to have improved...

VLC seems to be a big source of problems. Despite being supported by Win10, dropouts occur all the time. I tried out MPC-HC, and dropouts have decreased by 99%. A millisecond dropout happens every now and then.

My audio players and web seem to be working again as well.

Maybe when I reinstalled Win10 last time something got corrupt deep in the registry and really screwed up audio capability with my UR22. I'm going to see if this keeps up in Pro Tools and everything else throughout the weekend. I'll update as I go along.

EDIT: I'm running the 1.9.5 driver, just in case anyone was wondering if I tried the suggested older driver fix. (4:50pm CST)

EDIT: Still getting dropouts in Pro Tools. It even crashed my whole system once. Got it down to a few drop outs here and there, but monitoring closely. (6:40pm CST)

EDIT: Overall, it's functioning okay. Not a lot of dropouts, but they still occur when I'm listening to music and open an installer (sometimes, not every time), and happen occasionally in PT10, but again inconsistent. There seems to be a very large improvement in the reduction of dropouts, but I haven't eradicated them completely. I'll send this to Steinberg and see if they can help. (8:04 CST)

EDIT: Tried reverting back to the 1.7.3 driver- was marginally better. Now trying the 1.9.5 in Win7 compatibility mode. (9:39pm CST)

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Alas, I've given up hope yet again. Tried using Skype with the UR22 and got constant audio dropouts. Don't know what else to do at this point.

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Eek! Don't give up!
You said 1.7.3 was a bit better?
And I guess there's always the PCIe USB hub option.
Windows 10 64bit
i7 5820K, Asrock X99 Extreme6 mobo, 32gb RAM, 4x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSDs,
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9
EW Hollywood Orchestra Diamond

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

I have another remote connection appointment with Steinberg on Monday; hopefully that'll get me somewhere. I'm going to start looking into PCIe USB 2.0 options

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Just in case there are other options, that USB2.0 PCIe card that worked in my system for 11 hours straight has NEC chipset.

Best of luck to everyone!
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

NighthawKillian

Post by NighthawKillian »

Hi,

PC Specs:
AMD 8350
8 GB Ram @ 1866
SSD
Windows 10 (issue also present on Windows 7!)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 4
Gigabyte G1 Gaming nVidia 970.

Sound specs:
Steinberg UR22 USB interface
Rode M1-S dynamic mic.

When trying to record using x264 or nVenc at 1080p with a high bitrate (10K for nVenc, 6k for x264) I am seeing the following issue:
Once in a while the sound will cut out. Meaning that both the game's audio and the mic's audio get muted for a 1-3 second period.

If using a downscale to 720p with 3500 bitrate it gets better a bit, but if streaming and recording at the same time the cut out appears once per minute.

This happens on older games and newer games.I doubt it's a situation of the system running out of available memory.

In the bios I have disabled all power saving features I could find. I've tried using both the latest and some older drivers for both the GPU and the interface. I've tried to disable/enable all other sound devices. I've tried all settings I could think of in the interface's menu.

I am detecting the issue by using the interface as a sound card so both for input and for output.

I ran one of the latency tools available online and got a "this pc is perfectly capable to stream audio and video" result.

With my Plantronics GameCom 780 headset (also on USB) I never got this issue and I don't seem to have it now either (didn't test all that much with that now as I want this new setup to work).

What could be causing this?

Next step is to test with obs multiplatform and see what that does and if the issue is still there.

Log uploaded. 2015-10-04-1811-33.log

LATER EDIT

Ran some tests with multiplatform. Managed to record without the "hiccups" and then they came back later on. Interestingly task manager shows that multiplatform taxes my cpu an extra 10% vs regular OBS. Yet for a great 10 minutes there I had no audio hiccups.

The hiccups came back when I opened regular OBS to check some settings.

I've also uploaded the log from multiplatform 2015-10-04 18-49-36.txt . I am seeing a CoreAudio.dll error in there. What is that?

LATER EDIT 2:

Issue still present when using multiplatform. In fact the issue manifests with Multiplatform JUST opened, doesn't have to be recording / streaming.

The issue is NOT there when using my Plantronics GameCom 780 headset.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Quick question: When you have the 1.9.5 driver installed on a x64 system, are you seeing the driver folder in the Program Files or Program Files x86 folder?

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

I would answer that if I had my PC in front of me.

I look forward to hearing what you learn from your remote with Steinberg.

I will be active in this thread until the issues are resolved.
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Ordered a PCIe USB 2.0 card as well. Should arrive Tuesday. This and the remote appointment tomorrow are my last hope.

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Hmm. My 1.9.5 driver folder is in the Program Files x86 folder, NOT the Program Files folder.
(This is Windows 7 64bit)
Windows 10 64bit
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Mine is in the same place. I was curious as to if it needed to be in the x64 version, but if yours is in the same folder, I trust that it is where it should be

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Dont know if this is useful to anyone, but this is the USB power data of my UR22:

PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D0_SUPPORTED

Power state mappings:
S0 -> D0
S1 -> D2
S2 -> D2
S3 -> D2
S4 -> D2
S5 -> D3

NighthawKillian

Guys.

I've been having this issue on both Win 7 and Win 10. Been using something called Open Broadcaster for Twitch Streaming and Recording. After huge amounts of messing around:

1) OBS hates having the same device as input AND output. With my USB headset, despite having the mic built in to it, the "speakers" and "mic" are showing up as different devices (named differently). With the Steinberg, it's the same device name and most likely address. Set OBS to use Steinberg as mic and headset as output. Lost monitoring capabilities but no sound cut outs anymore.

2) I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0 motherboard and it has a crap USB controller/chipset. Had to move things around until I got the Steinberg into a port they both (Steinberg and Mobo) like. Planning to get a wall socket powered USB hub.

So. Maybe the above will help you guys.

And another thing. In a particular recording situation, OBS was (I think) reinitializng the sound devices once every few minutes due to always having to re-find the thing I was trying to record on my desktop (I think). This might have been another source for the cut outs -> the recording software reinitializing its devices and hence their USB ports.

Sigh. Hope I have this fixed. Can't find any PCI-E USB 2.0 cards here, just 3.0 ones, but if the issues persist I may get one of those and a powered USB 2.0 hub and hope that that will fix things.

deflodocus

Post by deflodocus »

avryluy, I think things are going to be okay!

I picked up a PCI USB 3.0 card yesterday.

I haven't had a dropout since.

<3

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

In the interim I have moved all of my USB devices (m&k, webcam, etc) to a hub in a USB3.0 port, leaving only my iLok and UR22 plugged into USB 2.0 ports. Dropouts happen significantly less, but still happen. Really hoping that the PCIe card I bought works out for me

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

deflodocus wrote:avryluy, I think things are going to be okay!

I picked up a PCI USB 3.0 card yesterday.

I haven't had a dropout since.

<3
What brand PCIe did you get? It's working well with US3.0?

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Steinberg has sent me to Microsoft support looking to see if I received a Windows 10 3081448 update, which apparently is important to ensuring proper device functionality time wise. Gonna have to jump through a lot of hoops it seems...

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Currently testing out the newer version of the 1448 update...hoping this helps.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Still receiving dropouts. hoping the PCIe card solves my problems.

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Thanks for the updates Avryluy!
Windows 10 64bit
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Yes, thank you from me as well.

I get my recording PC back today with new mobo. I will post the results.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

I have the new system up and running.

All works as expected so far.

Steinberg support responded to me saying they never received my reply. Strange to me though that I didn't see my reply in the email thread. It was there in my 'sent' emails tho...Whatever, Yahoo mail has never been reliable so I give the benefit of doubt...

Anyway, I hope that the addition of USB controller will help you users with the ASRock board. I have one sitting here that I am ready to put a bullet in just to prove a point.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

I don't want to jinx anything, but...

I've been in a PT session for about an hour, and no issues thus far. Granted, it's a lightweight Foley slugging session, but nonetheless it's a sign of progress?

Will continuing. We all shall prevail.

NighthawKillian

Question:

Is it worth it to get a PCI - EXPRESS USB 3.0 card & a powered USB 2.0 HUB (wondering how the steinberg ur 22 would like this)

Or just go for

CLASSIC PCI (non express) USB2.0 CARD and a powered USB 2.0 hub?

Don't need the USB 3.0 connectivity at all. And I can't find a PCI-E USB 2.0 card here. Only 3.0 ones.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

From my experience interfaces tend to not like hubs at all. Ilok, dongles, mouse and keyboards don't have an issue though.

If you have a PCI slot then yes, go with a USB2.0 card. The PCIe USB2.0 cards are hard to find. :(

I have not heard if the UR interfaces work well with USB3. I used to have a Tascam interface that worked just fine when alone on a USB3.0 controller.

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”