UR22 cuts out intermittently

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
jamieboo

Re: UR22 cuts out intermittently

Post by jamieboo »

What about disabling CPU parking? This is apparently separate to disabling C-States.
(Forgive me for trotting out first-rung suggestions!)
Windows 10 64bit
i7 5820K, Asrock X99 Extreme6 mobo, 32gb RAM, 4x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSDs,
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9
EW Hollywood Orchestra Diamond

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Newest update from Steinberg:

"I am checking with the developers to see if they have any other suggestions. I have not had any other UR22 customers on Windows 10 have this issue once they installed the Win10 Tools for the UR22. As soon as I have further information I will let you know. Thank you."

deflodocus

Post by deflodocus »

Hi friends

Slightly off topic but I have the exact same issue with my UR44.

It doesn't matter if I'm using Cubase, Winamp, VLC Player, Rekordbox... even watching YouTube videos in Chrome. Infrequent <0.5s dropouts. DPC Latency Checker shows no spikes whatsoever. LatencyMon is a different story but it goes into the red even when I'm not having dropouts, so go figure.

I've tested my exact setup with my old Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 AI, as well as my mobo's native sound (Realtek drivers etc.), and the issue does not occur with either of them.

I'm probably going to RMA the thing on the weekend, unless... unless Steinberg Support pull through with a big ol' win for us! GO STEINBERG!

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 (Rev 1.0)
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
GFX: NVidia GTX 980 (355.98 drivers)
RAM: G.Skill Trident-X 16GB (8Gx2) DDR3-2133
OS: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (fully updated bar Microsoft Silverlight)
HDDs:
- OS installed on a Samsung 840 Series SSD (250gb).
- WD Black SATA 4TB (storage, applications)
- WD Green SATA 3TB (storage)
- Samsung 840 EVO Series (500gb) (games)
Sound: Steinberg UR44 USB audio interface
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma
KB: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Great news!

I also had reply from Steinberg support today and have replied to their questions. Hopefully we can get this figured out. :)

It seems obvious to me that there must be some kind of issue with the mobo usb drivers and/or how they are communicating with the UR series interfaces. Or maybe some issue with the setup in UEFI setup software on the board that we are missing. IDK.

But obviously Steinberg wishes their customers to be able to use their product with any and every popular system. I bet this gets figured out. :)
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Please share as soon as you come across as positive result!!

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

avryluy wrote:Please share as soon as you come across as positive result!!
Absolutely!
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

I just disabled C-states and enabled a USB patch within the BIOS, so I'm hoping that helps. Running tests now.

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Fingers crossed!
Avryluy, is that your own initiative or is it something Steinberg advised you to try?
Also, in my AsRock Bios I have a couple of USB settings that I'm yet to experiment yet: Legacy USB Support, and Legacy USB 3.0 Support. They're enabled by default but the manual recommends disabling if having 'USB compatibility issues'. Maybe worth trying?
Windows 10 64bit
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9

daedalus

Post by daedalus »

Hi lads, got the same issue with my UR28M. Drop outs in Windows 10 64b, same in Windows 8.1 64b, only OS without any drops is Windows 7 64b. Same tools installed on every OS (tool ver.2.1.2) All windows or bios power settings/restrictions has been untouched.

ASrock x99 extreme4 mobo, 5820K, 16gb crucial

D.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

It was something I decided to try on my own. Didn't fix it, but the dropouts decreased a little bit

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Tried disabling the Legacy USB support, but no improvement happened

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

And so the plot thickens...

UR22 works just fine on my roommates Win10 Dell laptop. My level of frustration is through the roof with this dilemma. I gotta get my work done!

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Gah!
Rather regretting not paying more and going for a PCIe interface now.
And welcome, Daedalus, to our merry thread of discontent!
Interesting that W7 is the only working OS for you. I have W7. I wish it worked ok for me!
And another ASRock board I see.
Windows 10 64bit
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

1.5 hours so far dropout free with used PCIe USB2.0 controller card.

A PC repair shop loaned me this one to try:

http://www.amazon.com/Smartti-SMT-SD-PE ... B000YFWPEK

One thing that was odd was I first tried it in the lower PCIe slot and Windows wouldn't start. Top PCIe slot worked perfectly.

Fingers crossed again...

2 hours now... :)

In session all evening. Let's hope for the best!

Almost 3 hours now! I am getting exited!

I keep editing this same post with updates by the way...

4 hours and almost giddy at this point. :D

5 hours without a dropout. We may not have an answer to solve the issue, but at least maybe a fix with a bit of expense.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

I may consider getting one. Right now I'm discussing replacement/refund options because I've been having issues with my device almost since I got it, so I'd feel much better with something else. Maybe a PCIe card would work, but only time and patience will tell.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

avryluy wrote:I may consider getting one. Right now I'm discussing replacement/refund options because I've been having issues with my device almost since I got it, so I'd feel much better with something else. Maybe a PCIe card would work, but only time and patience will tell.
Well it seems obvious that there is a conflict between the UR series interfaces and either the ASRock boards or maybe even just the drivers they use that conflict with the Steinberg drivers. Either way, I am sure Steinberg does not wish to have incompatibility with any hardware.

I love the UR824's I have been using for the last two years. I just happened to be that we have a mobo that they don't seem to like.

I don't feel that it is Steinbergs fault here. I just hope the techs build a PC with the Z series and find a solution that doesn't involve users purchasing more hardware to make it work.

Either way, $39 cured my issue. I'll take that over purchasing a new interface or rebuilding my PC.

So far, I am content now. 11 hours without the audio dropouts.

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

I'll look into a USB PCIe card and see if that remedies my problems as well. Here's to hoping.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Ugh.. Just don't ever unplug your PC... There are serious issues with some of the ASRock mobos...

I am happy I found a workaround for the dropouts, but now I have a new issue.

PC won't boot up every time...

I am just about to smash this mobo...

It have now found that there were issues with this mobo in regards to it not booting after disconnecting power. Never thought I had the problem until I disconnected the power when I installed the new card.

More problems that do not have anything to do with Steinberg drivers.

It seems we have defective mobos...

:(

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

You really think it's a defective mobo problem? I can check the warranty on mine, but it just seems so odd and random of a problem

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

At least with my rig, the problem only lies with my UR22, nothing else.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

avryluy wrote:You really think it's a defective mobo problem? I can check the warranty on mine, but it just seems so odd and random of a problem
Yes, and I am now just done with this crap.

Going with a new mobo.

Here is a forum thread that is about the issues I am now having after unplugging the power supply.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... _with_the/

I am not wasting any more time with this. Can't get anything done while dealing with these ridiculous issues...

I am taking the PC to the repair shop that loaned me the USB2 card. They have an ASUS Z97 Alpha mobo that I am going to try. They are curious as to what the deal is with the ASRock mobo also as they have a Z97 Extreme6 there now with similar issues.

I will post how this works out...

I never mentioned that when I first built this PC, the first ASRock mobo I started with was defective and had to return it for another. That first one actually fried a new power supply somehow. Also another power supply was destroyed while testing by the service guys. MicroCenter replaced both the board and the power supply for free. Even after the new mobo install there was initially USB issues regarding them not even running a mouse via USB2 ports. After a few failed attempts, it just started working..

I should have known then that there was to be future issues.

I sincerely hope that all of you have better success than I.

At this point, I am going to do the 'Office Space-printer scene' style destruction of the ASRock board.

AndreasOhlsson

Post by AndreasOhlsson »

I am happy I found this thread. But maybe I am making things more complicated.

I have a Asus Laptop N551 with USB3 only. It was delivered with W8.1 and everything have worked like a charm.
I use a UR22 since a couple of months and there have been no problem. Using driver version 1.9.2

In the middle of august I thought I could give W10 a try. I really hate W8.1 bloated startmenu and the way it is touch optimized. Very well. The installation of W10 was no problem and everything worked.
But. Suddenly I had dropouts in the playback when using UR22. Randomly, around every 10 minutes.

I really could not figure out why this happened. Some days later came driver 1.9.5 and I thought that could solve it.
I gave a couple of more days trying out most of the stuff already mentioned in this thread . But with a laptop your options are limited.

So finally I restored the installation back to W8.1. And everything worked as before.

My conclusion is that there is something in the behavior of the USB-host-driver that is not working very well with the UR-series under some circumstances.
Still, it is strange it is working perfect in W8.1 for me. But I get dropouts in W10. It uses the same drivers in the system, or that is what I think after checking the device manager. But still W10 installation can change stuff you cannot see...

I will monitor this thread and see if Steinberg/Yamaha return a solution.
Otherwise I will wait for the first bigger update of W10 in November and give another shot. Maybe there will be new drivers for the chipset/USB released also by then.

I do not know if my 25 cent made things clearer or more cloudy. I only hope there will come a stable solution for this, in my opinion, very good sound-interface. And I really want to ditch W8.1...

avryluy

Post by avryluy »

Real sorry to hear that.

I'm going to do a clean install tomorrow to see if that helps at all. Hopefully Steinberg can help me out at some point before I start to freak out. I wouldn't wish this issue on anyone.

daedalus

Post by daedalus »

All right lads, it seems solved. All what i did was fresh install of windows 10 64b, and i used older chipset drivers for windows 7 64b from asrock site. Maybe this will help someone

device UR28M, YSUSB 1.9.2 from steinberg/yamaha tool set
ASRock X99 Extreme4 Intel X99

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Ex ... t=Download

now over 2days without any popouts, tried all buffer sizes, all of them works well

good luck, daedalus

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Hey jimmys69
Good news about the PCIe USB hub. I'm sure I'd be baffled by the technicalities but I'd love to know how something can work through a PCIe USB hub, but not on-board USB. Because isn't all USB somehow under the aegis of PCIe anyway? Or something?
Sorry to hear about your mobo nightmare! I regularly power down my X99 Extreme6 and I've never had a problem. In fact its performance has been fantastic apart from the UR22 idiosyncrasy. I hope you get it all sorted somehow!

Daedalus, interesting that your stated steps have solved the problem. I'm on Windows 7 and after I built the PC the first thing I did was download drivers from that ASRock site. I saw that some of them were quite old but I wanted to try them first. And I noticed the dropouts straight away. As for Windows 10 - that's a big unknown for me at the moment. My instinct tells me to wait 6 months to allow teething problems to be ironed out, so we'll see.
I notice you're using YSUSB 1.9.2 rather than 1.9.5. Maybe I should roll back to that earlier driver and give it a go.
Windows 10 64bit
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”