Video solution. What's New?

For users of legacy Steinberg Nuendo software
Fredo
External Moderator

Re: Video solution. What's New?

Post by Fredo »

Steinberg has build a 64-bit Wrapper for QT, so that Qt (32-bit) can be used in a 64bit environment.

Fredo

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

To make it clear:

New features of N5.5

Win7:
N5.5 64bit on Win7 64 bit now supports video out on Blackmagic and Aja (First in the world!)

OSX (Snow Leo and Lion)

N5.5 64 bit in SL and Lion 64 bit supports video out on BM and Aja (First in the world!)

How cool is that??

You have to install the 64bit version of N5.5 in Win7 to try this. It works!!

Keep in mind that it can be other stuff stopping you from running N5.5 64bit, like plugins. aka. Waves V8 etc.

Pål
Nuendo 7.0.x, nMP 8-core with 2xD700, 64GB, Macbook Pro Retina15" i7, RME UFX, RME Babyface, Artist Mix, Control and Transport, CC121.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff »

... and the best thing is: IT ACTUALLY WORKS !!
Signature has been removed.

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo »

Matthias Adloff wrote:... and the best thing is: IT ACTUALLY WORKS !!
Yeah, we were all kinda surprised here.
;o))))

Fredo

blob

Post by blob »

It works here too!!! This is perfect!!!
They must have did something in the code to make it work!!!. Congrats Steinberg!!!!

J L Bowie

Post by J L Bowie »

It not only works, but smoothly, and with little impact on system resources and, as I mentioned previously, this is on a Q6600 Quad. I can only imagine how nice it will be on a new i7 setup. Already phasing out System Link here. So far, Nuendo 5.5 is the best version I've experienced.
(Z68 i7 Quad, 32 GB SD Ram, Nvidia Quadro 2200) Nuendo 10.3/64 on Win 10 Pro version 20H2, UAD2 DUO,Tascam DM 4800 IF-FW/DM MKII,GA5, Halion 6, (Steinberg Houston -18 years and counting) DNXHD License 2
System Linked via FW/ADAT to:
(Dell Precision Dual Xeon, 64 GB ECC Ram, NVidia Quadro 5000) Cubase Pro 10.5/64 on Win 10 Pro version 20H2/64 Pro via RME HDSP 9652 - Da Vinci Resolve 16, WaveLab Pro 10.0.40/64, Spectralayers Pro 7.0.20, DNXHD License 1
Cubase user since VST
Nuendo user since V2

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

J L Bowie wrote:It not only works, but smoothly, and with little impact on system resources and, as I mentioned previously, this is on a Q6600 Quad. I can only imagine how nice it will be on a new i7 setup. Already phasing out System Link here. So far, Nuendo 5.5 is the best version I've experienced.
Great! I'm sure some people have worked their asses off to give us this release...
Create thank you threads!!

Pål
Nuendo 7.0.x, nMP 8-core with 2xD700, 64GB, Macbook Pro Retina15" i7, RME UFX, RME Babyface, Artist Mix, Control and Transport, CC121.

Matthias Adloff

Hmmm. It WORKED. For no particular reason, IntensityPro said goodbye today and no more video is played back (it works onscreen, still, of course). Still works with Premiere, so it's probably not the driver.

Where do I see this QT wrapper ? I reinstalled Nuendo, but that didn't help.

EDIT: Premiere CS5 also stopped supporting the Intensity. Something is very wrong here :(

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

Matthias Adloff wrote:Hmmm. It WORKED. For no particular reason, IntensityPro said goodbye today and no more video is played back (it works onscreen, still, of course). Still works with Premiere, so it's probably not the driver.

Where do I see this QT wrapper ? I reinstalled Nuendo, but that didn't help.

EDIT: Premiere CS5 also stopped supporting the Intensity. Something is very wrong here :(
Guess in the dark! Did you install the latest QT fix from Apple for Win7 ? Released yesterday I think.

Pål

Matthias Adloff

YES

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

Matthias Adloff wrote:YES
Tried to remove it? Or reinstall former QT release for Win7??

Matthias Adloff

Intensity Pro goes to Ebay. I give up. It never really worked, or probably I'm just too stupid.

I just need a simple 1080i output, and from all that I understood so far, even average NVidia and ATI cards with dual configuration (SLI/Eyefinity) outperfom the Intensity by very far. And there seem to be triple head solutions also, which I'm investigating right now...

I'm not yet sure which road to travel, and would be happy if anyone could help out. But honestly, to have the clients here in the studio and not being able to play the video out on a usual HDTV or beamer (consumer, admittedly, but standard HDMI) with full sound over the monitors was embarrassing enough for such a long time...

Big K

Post by Big K »

Too bad...
I got it to work on N5.5 / 64bit, QT 7.7 and it rocks...
I don't think, I am any smarter than you are...
Or mayby just a tinsy winsy bit..LOL....;-)

Please, if you manage a solid setup for Video, drop us a line what you are using.....
Intensities are more than ok for the job, but they eat up a slot, too.

Servus, Big K
Nuendo 10, WaveLab 9.5, RME, UAD, PoCo, Win10/64 bit, PC i7 3930K, 16GB RAM, Intensity Pro, Melodyne 5, Spectrasonics, VSL, All Brainworx & Plugin Alliance, Genelec 1031 for 5.1, Quested HQ 210, NS10s, sevaW lla, LAWO, Neumanns, Brauners, Sennheisers, Schoeps, Sony DASH3324S, 42 RUs of classic hardware, professionally build and designed studio acoustics. SB-User since Cubase 2.0, Nuendo 1.5, WaveLab 1.5 ...

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

Matthias Adloff wrote:Intensity Pro goes to Ebay. I give up. It never really worked, or probably I'm just too stupid.

I just need a simple 1080i output, and from all that I understood so far, even average NVidia and ATI cards with dual configuration (SLI/Eyefinity) outperfom the Intensity by very far. And there seem to be triple head solutions also, which I'm investigating right now...

I'm not yet sure which road to travel, and would be happy if anyone could help out. But honestly, to have the clients here in the studio and not being able to play the video out on a usual HDTV or beamer (consumer, admittedly, but standard HDMI) with full sound over the monitors was embarrassing enough for such a long time...
Sad that you didn't get the Intensity (pro) to work like you wanted. I work with it many places.

In my personal mix stage I use a DVI to HDMI converter for the beamer. Very happy with that also.
IMHO one of the cool things by using a normal graphics output is that I can place other stuff on the beamer as well.
For instance the TC window if the video doesn't have TC burn in.

Pål

Matthias Adloff

Awesome stuff those consumer cards offer...

The handling is a real nightmare, it took almost one complete day to have this configured (what kind of guys actually do the coding for that, and what are they thinking is the maximum of input ppl can understand????). If I had to write a "how to" I would surrender. I started with just three monitors and one 50" HDTV connected, and at least for stupid me it was quite random where I could even see the ATI configuration panel. Connected another panel, everything was gone. Well, as I said, it's a nightmare.

But now, after all, what I get out of a simple 230$ ATI Radeon 5780 6-head DisplayPort card is just overwhelming.

1. The two main monitors (which are horizontally aligned) show the project window at 1920x1200 each.
3. The third monitor focusses on plugins and stuff. It's a 1920x1080, coz I had no better availbale.
4. The fourth display shows the mixer on 1920x1200.
5. On fifth monitor (1920x1080 again), I have my RME analyzer running plus additional space that I dunno yet how to use.
6. Finally number six (a consumer 50" Samsung HDTV) has the video running, in overlay mode at 1080p. And this is thrilling, because it outperforms the Intensity by far. It is just "on touch". Once you move the shuttle, it is there. Never had this before. Admittedly, this was the most complex output to configure, since the video card refused to identify the HDTV correctly (it always said 30Hz by default, and promised that it would destroy the screen once I would change the Hz rate. But this promise was wrong). I needed about 20 restarts, and everytime the identification of the monitors was alternating...

And now it's stable. And better than ever before.

Unlike with the Intensity, I'm completely free to drop anything on my video screen and it will just work, with any acceleration I could imagine. Testing all the stuff that never worked with the Intensity, it just plays smoothly. From the desktop, from Nuendo, from QT, from whatever.

I'm just thrilled, so correct me if I'm mistaking and posting a too positive text here. I've just never experienced such a performance before, and it comes from such a cheap consumer card.
Last edited by Matthias Adloff on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Matthias Adloff

Even more, playing AVI or H.264 or MPEG2 over the card costs 0,5-1% CPU power, even when scaling. Perfectly in sync, of course.

Yeah, still fascinated... please stop me :)

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig »

Great that you love the graphics card way of outputting video. I prefer it myself.

Though I work with Intensity PRO in many studios also, also working great.

Thos 6 port ATIs are really cool. Must get me one for test.

Pål

ROCKINROG

Post by ROCKINROG »

I think we need to see some pics with this all layed out on the screens Matthias. :D
Cheers, Roger R Cunningham
Wired Audio & Video Installations

Matthias Adloff

ROCKINROG wrote:I think we need to see some pics with this all layed out on the screens Matthias. :D
You're right, I 'm not yet sure if it makes sense to have all display ports in use. Plus, as I'm writing, this one flickers from time to time... and where was this nasty task bar :? :?:

syrcle

Post by syrcle »

For those interested. I just recently bought an AJA T-Tap for a MacBook Pro, and it runs flawlessly with Nuendo 5.5. It's rock solid. Not as cheap as the Blackmagic Ultrastudio mini, but I hear those are quite problematic, but the T-Tap is great. It's like having a Kona output card via Thunderbolt for $300. Not bad. I'm playing a plethora of HD video off of an external drive....

Return to “Older Nuendo versions”