Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Scab Pickens

Re: Seriously!?

Post by Scab Pickens » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Fitz wrote:
Scab Pickens wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
It doesn't annoy me.

Would you prefer others to be able to illegally and freely use the software you paid for?

I consider the hardware dongle a benefit. Just as a car key is meant to control who operates the car ...
It annoys *ME* so there goes your argument.

Additionally eLicenser supports a 'soft' dongle which is tied to the computer. Annoyingly Steinberg do not permit this to be used, meaning instead that I must waste a USB port. This is one reason I will *never* use Cubase on stage as I only have 2x USB ports on my laptop which get used for keyboard and audio interface, and no, I'm not having a stupid USB powered hub hanging off my laptop being something else that can potentially go wrong. Ableton got my money for that application.
Who's arguing? :?

The comment I responded to stated that "the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user."

I was simply stating that it doesn't annoy all users, "me" being one. Jeez, relax.
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico 3 SE | Focusrite Pro 40

Spiderbyte

Post by Spiderbyte » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 pm

My main gripe, actually, is that on Cubase Elements 6 I used the Soft e-liscencer, cause I had only downloaded it rather than getting a boxed product. Steinberg has an entire piece of software it makes you download that's a control center for eLicenses. Yet there's no way to convert the USB licence to a soft license.

There's lots of kinds of expensive software that doesn't require you to always have a USB drive plugged in to use it. And since Steinberg has the technology available to have a software-licenser it just bugs me they don't offer that option when buying a boxed product.

And, for the record, "you should have done more research" is hardly an argument for why the product should have such an inconvenient licensing method. I was researching the program's features. I just assumed that their licensing method would be reasonable. (i.e. I would be able to convert hard-to-soft.) What if every piece of software you bough needed to have a USB license? But, anyway you look at it, it's a minor gripe. I'm really loving the software. The new aesthetic is much "cooler" than CE6 and I am extremely impressed with Padshop and Retrologue.

And come on, you can't compare it to a goddamned car key. That's an entirely different situation. There are tons and tons of pieces of software that people might have running on their computer. Making one of them also require you to keep track a piece of hardware, ESPECIALLY if they have a soft-licensing system ALREADY IN PLACE is criminal.
Last edited by Spiderbyte on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like spiders.

distante

Post by distante » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:05 pm

jaslan wrote:
distante wrote:What annoys me is the impossibility to pass my cubase AI 7 licence from the dongle to my laptop (hard to soft) Now, I just own a AI licence that is useless :x
How is that useless? Plug the dongle in and use the software.
J.L.
Well "kind of useless", I mean Why should I use AI if I can use C7?

Would be nice If for some reason I forget the dongle home be able to use AI ;)
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

i have cubase Ai 5 with soft license.. (didn't know there is cubase Ai 7.)
i installed it directly to my computer without needing the dongle, Ai versions should be soft licensed and working without the dongle !
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

distante

Post by distante » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Sorry It's AI6 not 7 (or 5)
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

The eLicenser technology has the ability to transfer licenses to and from a dongle to a computer, but the license must be marked as being allowed to be transferred - Steinberg don't allow transfers to the 'soft' eLicenser, but they do allow one-way transfer from the soft-licenser to a dongle.

I've pulled them up on this several times but their official excuse is it's apparently 'easier for the user' if they do not allow the license to be transferred.

Go figure.

One thing that really annoys me are the people with the attitude of 'Well *I* don't want to transfer it therefore YOU don't either'. This is stupid and short sighted - I will be the judge of what is best for my situation thankyouverymuch and what difference does it make to you what I do with my license anyway? Who is saying you can't stick with your dongle? If you want a stupid piece of plastic sticking out of a valuable USB port, keep it. What's the problem?

Allow those of us who don't want to waste a USB port and are happy to use the soft-licenser to do so.

/rant
macOS 10.14.6 / C10.5.12 Pro / Elements / Cubasis iPad 2

distante

Post by distante » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Exactly!

Pd:

LOL Image

My Stuff:

papi61

Post by papi61 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:59 am

TheNavigator wrote:
grecore wrote:I bought that car, and everytime I want to drive it, I have to use the key. Seriously!?
This is an invalid comparison.

The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
It doesn't annoy me. It sits on a USB hub and I can pretty much forget it even exists. I also have another dongle (iLok, with dozens of licenses on) and it doesn't bother me either. Never had a single malfunction with either system.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.

plectrumboy

Post by plectrumboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:35 am

distante wrote:
jaslan wrote:
distante wrote:What annoys me is the impossibility to pass my cubase AI 7 licence from the dongle to my laptop (hard to soft) Now, I just own a AI licence that is useless :x
How is that useless? Plug the dongle in and use the software.
J.L.
Well "kind of useless", I mean Why should I use AI if I can use C7?

Would be nice If for some reason I forget the dongle home be able to use AI ;)
What you could do is put AI6 on a different dongle - so you could still keep your expensive Cubase license/dongle safe at home while using AI6.

Steve.
Scan 3XS desktop i7 5820 @ 4.0 Ghz on Asus x99 Pro 32Gb running Windows 10 pro with Thunderbolt card; MacBook Pro 2018 32gb, 2x UR824, UAD Apollo Twin Mk II Quad; Icon Qcon Pro X + 1x Pro XS, Cubase 10.5 (most recent), Jamstix 4, The Grand 3, HSO, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns Pro, Mark 1, Groove Agent 4, Stylus RMX, Trillian, Kontakt, VST Connect Pro.

James K

Post by James K » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:51 am

Some of us have been around before dongle days. At first...lots of resistance ...but now not so much. I personally like that it keeps the user forum legit. We know that we've all made an investment into a product we help steer. I'm ok with it for that reason.
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.5.12
98% of Steinberg Instruments
UR28M
CC121

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 pm

James K wrote:Some of us have been around before dongle days
Yes. Remember waiting for the CD to be scanned block by block when you needed to reinstall Cubase?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

distante

Post by distante » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm

plectrumboy wrote:What you could do is put AI6 on a different dongle - so you could still keep your expensive Cubase license/dongle safe at home while using AI6.

Steve.
That could be, still the problem of "if I forget the dongle" can happen :D

Also, get a new dongle isn't very easy in my country.

My Stuff:

KDEF2004

Post by KDEF2004 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm

James K wrote:Some of us have been around before dongle days. At first...lots of resistance ...but now not so much. I personally like that it keeps the user forum legit. We know that we've all made an investment into a product we help steer. I'm ok with it for that reason.
+1
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Beringer UMC404HD, Cubase 10.5, Wavelab 10.0.10, Specttralayers 6, Pro, Reason 11 Suite,HSO 1.5 VSTI'S & FX'S

https://www.instagram.com/djkdef/

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 am

SteveInChicago wrote:
James K wrote:Some of us have been around before dongle days
Yes. Remember waiting for the CD to be scanned block by block when you needed to reinstall Cubase?
Or even worse, having to enter something like AHG038JPOB5ELMUAHSC8BV439KTQIRO0JU printed on a paper card in a font which made it impossible to tell if a character was a zero or the letter O - so it took multiple attempts at entering it before you got it right.

And don't forget how ugly these forums were before only verified owners could participate, all those idiots with cracked copies demanding folks answer the dumbest questions.

Initially I disliked the dongle. But now I think it is great as it allows me to install Cubase on as many systems as I want and easily move the license from one to another to suit my needs (including an old XP box running C5 with some plug-ins that were never updated to work on Vista and beyond).
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:01 am

TheNavigator wrote:
grecore wrote:I bought that car, and everytime I want to drive it, I have to use the key. Seriously!?

The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
A key (or license) enables legal use and prohibits illegal use, so I would not label the comparison as being "invalid".

The eLicenser obviously annoys many users. Though I'd like to see your argument about how it only benefits Steinberg.
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 am

Elektrobolt wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:

A key (or license) enables legal use and prohibits illegal use, so I would not label the comparison as being "invalid".

The eLicenser obviously annoys many users. Though I'd like to see your argument about how it only benefits Steinberg.
I see no advantage for me in the dongle, only major inconveniences:

a) Can break or be stolen
b) Is cumbersome
c) Uses USB slots or may make me have to buy another toy (USB hub)
d) In case of loss for whatever reason I have to bother with customer support
e) I have to buy TWO of them, which is sunken money

Where is the advantage for me? I don't care at all who uses this software as long as they don't use my PC or my notebook, which I make sure by locking the door of my apartment all the time.

distante

Post by distante » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 am

raino wrote:And don't forget how ugly these forums were before only verified owners could participate, all those idiots with cracked copies demanding folks answer the dumbest questions.
How about if the dongle it's only required for post in the forum but not to use Cubase? :D

My Stuff:

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:27 am

distante wrote:
raino wrote:And don't forget how ugly these forums were before only verified owners could participate, all those idiots with cracked copies demanding folks answer the dumbest questions.
How about if the dongle it's only required for post in the forum but not to use Cubase? :D
I could also live with online - copy protection if the online - activation would be valid for a machine for 24 hours.

distante

Post by distante » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 am

TheNavigator wrote:
distante wrote:
I could also live with online - copy protection if the online - activation would be valid for a machine for 24 hours.
Like the new Adobe licences

My Stuff:

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 pm

As I already said once, the benefit for the user is lower cost of the product due to decrease in theft.

Periodic online renewal is a bad idea for many reasons.

Yes, it can be lost, stolen, or broken, like almost ANY other product you buy.

Cumbersome? Another exaggeration.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Plasuma

Post by Plasuma » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 am

Elektrobolt wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:

What benefit does the user gain from having the USB licenser?
1. A feeling of quasi-fulfillment for "investing in Steinberg's security"

Beyond that, nothing. Steinberg gains control over the licenses and who can use the software. Users lose control over their licenses, and those who are foolish don't complain about it because they don't see themselves needing that flexibility at that moment.

The comparison is entirely invalid because the key to your car is actually being held in a safety deposit box that only the car manufacturer has access to.

If you want to drive your car, you have to go to the manufacturer's safety deposit box, stand in line and verify your identity with a special passkey, and wait for an official automated response.

If no connection to the repository is available, you cannot drive your car that day.

If the repository is broken into or the branch is closed down for maintenance, you cannot drive your car until they decide they're done.

If you lose your special passkey, you no longer own your car, even if you have a backup and can verify your credentials.

In addition to those risks, you cannot sell your car or your passkey. You also cannot maintain or repair your car yourself - you have to wait for an official engineer to verify if the problem exists, and then they will take your issue into consideration as soon as they get around to fixing all the other issues that don't affect you and adding additional features you never asked for (now you have air conditioning for your trunk! isn't that exciting? too bad your windshield is still missing and now you can't start your car. That'll be $50, by the way).

If you're okay with that, and you think the whole simplified "it's a key to a car" comparison is still valid, get your brain checked.
Last edited by Plasuma on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

Exactly, Plasuna. You're are 100% right.

The USB key is nothing but a toy to boss legitimate users.

Scab Pickens

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Scab Pickens » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Plasuma wrote: ... If you're okay with that, and you think the whole simplified "it's a key to a car" comparison is still valid, get your brain checked.
It is definitely a "simplified" comparison. But, still valid. Maybe most folks don't feel the need to type a three page reply to get their point across?

Oh, and the brain checked out just fine. Amazing, but true :) .
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico 3 SE | Focusrite Pro 40

Plasuma

Post by Plasuma » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Scab Pickens wrote:
Plasuma wrote: ... If you're okay with that, and you think the whole simplified "it's a key to a car" comparison is still valid, get your brain checked.
It is definitely a "simplified" comparison. But, still valid. Maybe most folks don't feel the need to type a three page reply to get their point across?

Oh, and the brain checked out just fine. Amazing, but true :) .
That is amazing, since you didn't read what I wrote. It's barely three paragraphs.

I'll use fewer words so you don't get lost: a car is not a valid comparison because you don't own Cubase or the key to use it.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

How can you claim the car key comparison to be invalid and then add increasingly more ridiculous details and descriptions to the comparison to support your argument?
No more comparisons, no more exaggerations.
Here it is, plain and simple...

Steinberg has the right to protect their product from theft, as you agreed to in the user agreement. If you don't like it, you are free to use another product.

You made the decision to buy. Nobody made you do it. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you have only yourself to blame.

J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Return to “Older Cubase versions”