Old or new mixer better?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Re: Anybody else like the old mixer better?

Post by Elektrobolt »

My vote is that things have only gotten better.

Any existing wrinkles will be ironed out. (If you still don't like it, stay with C6.5, or whichever version does it for you.)
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q »

Elektrobolt wrote:My vote is that things have only gotten better.

Any existing wrinkles will be ironed out. (If you still don't like it, stay with C6.5, or whichever version does it for you.)
The voice of reason. :)
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

johngar

Post by johngar »

Yes I like the old mixer but that is only because I am more familiar with it. It seems the new mixer has so much more potential, however there are some kinks to iron out. I am sure after some time most people will really like the new features.
PC | Nuendo 10 | i7-4930k | Win10 | 32gb ram | Intensity Pro | Radeon HD7700 | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Generic

artifactdetroit.com

skug

Post by skug »

Betamac wrote:Love the new Cubase - think it beats all!

would love an extended colour palette in the arrange page as standard - I keep banging on and one day :D
+1 to this.

I don't know how many different color variations I have between projects.

galvinstephen

Can we have the earlier mixer back please?

Post by galvinstephen »

I have tried to find out exactly what it is about the new mixer which I do not like. I could complain about this or that... but really all Steinberg has done is shift things around to satisfysome new guy in the art-team.

It is just ugly. :cry: :lol:

Seriously though. One of the things I have always liked about Cubase it its look and feel. :D

This new mixer just looks ugly! :twisted:

The Metering background is black and the surround some sort of greeny snotdark grey on my monitor that we cannot change in the preferences.

The rationale/story behind the new mixer is that it allows more tracks to be visible. OK.

By taking the solo, mute, edit buttons etc of the strip and placing them above saves some space I grant, but they did not need to change the actual appearance of the mixer! It looks to me like some sort of cheap app that has been imported from a third-party geekfest with no graphic designer on the staff. :geek:

I work in the studio six days a week sometimes up to 16 hours a day with Cubase on the screen for a lot of that time so it is important how it looks. 8-)

A simple solution would be for clients to be able to customise the look of the mixer using the 'classic' colouring :D and the 'dark star' Cubase 7 look. :evil:

In any event the colours should be fully customisable. - [Can anybody tell me what File/Preferences/MixConsole Racks/Hardware does?] :roll:

Has the original graphic designer retired or left the company and the job contracted out to the accountant's wife on the third floor? Or something? Anyway no insults intended but ugly is ugly. Why fix what is not broken? :D
Stephen Galvin
Musician
LTCL BMus BA MMus(Hons.) Dip. Tchg.
Studio Director ABC Studios
Cubase 10.5 Sequel 3.0.1,
Dorico 3 Wavelab Pro 10
Laptop: MSI Intel i7-9750 CPU @ 2.6GHz 32GB RAM. Windows 10 64bit. Intel SSD 300GB +500GB.
Desktop: Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3 GHz 32GB RAM Windows 10 Intel SSD 500GB +1TB +1TB.

Focusrite Scarlett 1820, Octopre, Saffire Pro40. Lots of cables. Cables everywhere... Cables man....
http://www.abcstudios.co.nz
http://www.singinglessonsauckland.com
http://www.guitarlessonsauckland.com
http://www.basslessonsauckland.com
https://www.drumlessonsnewzealand.com

mroekalea

Re: Can we have the earlier mixer back please?

Post by mroekalea »

No!, but I like the idea that you could fully customized the mixer ;-)
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea »

I saw the latetst DP demo on youtube and am pleased with the themes DP can apply, great idea fro C7 also! + tabbed windows.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

themarqueeyears

Post by themarqueeyears »

I initially loved the new mixer, then had a wobble and wanted the old one back.

Installed Cubase 7 for the first time on my main rig as a 64bit app. (Powercore plugins are working perfectly using the built in bridge - brilliant job SB) and I can honestly say, after actually spending the time to get to know how things work ....

I love the new mixer

No going back to the old for me.

Post by Guest »

it's like there are two separate programs running in one program , the mixers doesn't look an thing like cubase and as you say it looks like some child has done the graphics and couldn't finish them

IT'S UGLY please integrate the mixer with the project page better ...don't even get me started on the crap functionality of it ,the more i use it the more of a miss match i think it is ,come for *knuf* sake , you press a monitor button on the project page and it activates on the mixer and then you turn it off on the project page and it's still active on the mixer , you have some strange *knuf* going on here ....

UGLY is as UGLY can be

DaDa

Post by DaDa »

Yep, looks like Dave has left the building ...

Yep, i don't like the look, either.
But you can get used to that.
Bad ergonomics are a different pair of shoes ...

Why not the old visuals in V7 ?
Obviously, they had to use another framework, to have the resizing option.
Obviously this framework is kept simple, to have it ready, fast enough.
Obviously it also comes with a lot of workslow enhancements
( like added clicks everywhere ).

I fear that they won't bring back the good ergonomics of the old mixer, though.
( like different shaped and colored buttons, etc )

Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|
System SSD | 7tb Data HDs
RME RayDat | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Steinberg UR 824
Win7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 8.5.20 64bit | Samplitude X3 64bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore

r.u.sirius

Post by r.u.sirius »

right now there´s no way to get my work done with that information hiding, space wasting, slowly reacting, immature looking black box :cry:

C6.5 for my main work, C7 for checking out the development with new updates from time to time
C10.20 64bit | WL9.5 | UFXII | 2x UAD2 Quad, 1x UAD2 Octo| Win10 64 | Asus Prime X299-A | i7 7820X | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Aloha guys,

Would be nice to have all options available but
IMHO, ain't gonna happen.

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 75&t=35356
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

VariMu

Post by VariMu »

Sonico wrote:I love the new mixer too!!!

The mixer was the only thing that I didn't like on previous versions, and now is very very good IMO.
Agree 100%. It's the whole reason I paid for the upgrade. FULL SCREEN. SEE INSERTS AND SENDS (and anything else!) AT THE SAME TIME. Etc.

Still some issues to work out, but way better. I see the old mixer as a fine-tuned, highly refined version of a limitation-ridden, outdated concept; the new mixer is a rough-around-the-edges version of a much more powerful, modern concept. So I can see the argument that the old mixer was better at what it was than the new mixer; it's just that "what it was" wasn't very good (compared to other DAWs' mixers) anymore.
Core i7-3740QM | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab 6 | Plugins by Waves, Slate, URS, Celemony, Antares, SoundToys, Voxengo, iZotope, etc.

sonicstate

Post by sonicstate »

I like functionality of the new mixer, but don't like the way it looks. It is too dark for my taste, it's like a black hole on my second screen. Its so dark I'm scared of it. Steinberg designers seem to be into some funky dark business? Skins would be great, I'd put myself a shiny grey one, with bright buttons, yeah. Need brighter environment to work. Dark ages are gone. Just make some different skins for it (some bright ones too, pls), so we can chose. Or make it possible so users can make our own skins, that'd be fun, I'd go for that.
Cubase Pro 8.5, Win 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...

Tony H

Post by Tony H »

nope .. not here ..
i like it .... a lot .... i cant say i find it ugly in fact the opposite...
like many of us in the community here i have been with cubase a long time and seen a lot of changes...
this however is the biggest single change i can remember... vst 5 and sx where massive also ..
i think you will get used to it and learn to like it ...
changes will and must come otherwise our lovely working tool will be left behind... and trust me on this one we would not be here ha ha we may all be on pt or logic ... errrrrrrrrr not me .... :D
so in my opinion .. no revert , not ugly ... just a change and for me a welcome change....
cheers ...
"T"
cubasepro-10..Bfd 3. ,slate everything bundle, T-rax. etc
windows 10
core i5 4x320.
16gb ram.
Focusrite Scarlet 18i20

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Takes a bit of getting used to, but it grows on you quickly. I was never a big fan of the old mixer, but did like the old old mixer (VST days).
That the new mixer's look is kind of inconguous in relation to the rest of Cubase (e.g.. Project window) has a simple explanation, which Helge elucidated in a video (albeit in german) - Cubase is being completely revamped top to bottom on a long term redesign program. It was decided to start with the mixer, redesign of the project window and other features will follow in later versions.
I know of users who have religiously updated with each new version, but have put off 7 for the time being until it is A) stable, and B) finished.
I skipped 6x, mainly because during those couple of years I wasn't using it at all, (studio in storage while new one designed and built) so I've gone for 7. I think the holdouts are going to have a rather big step to make in the learn curve when/if they do upgrade with a later Version.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

skug

Post by skug »

BriHar wrote:That the new mixer's look is kind of inconguous in relation to the rest of Cubase (e.g.. Project window) has a simple explanation, which Helge elucidated in a video (albeit in german) - Cubase is being completely revamped top to bottom on a long term redesign program. It was decided to start with the mixer, redesign of the project window and other features will follow in later versions.
Is there a link to this video and translation?

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

The video is on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cruxGtp8_0
and the point in particular comes at about 25:20 into the video.
Sorry, but I don't know of a translation.
There's a lot of very insightful information in this video.
Last edited by BriHar on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

skug

Post by skug »

BriHar wrote:The video is on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cruxGtp8_
and the point in particular comes at about 25:20 into the video.
Sorry, but I don't know of a translation.
There's a lot of very insightful information in this video.
Of course this is of paramount interest to everyone so would you be able to transcribe any of the detail?

galvinstephen

Post by galvinstephen »

BriHar wrote:...That the new mixer's look is kind of inconguous in relation to the rest of Cubase (e.g.. Project window) has a simple explanation, which Helge elucidated in a video (albeit in german) - Cubase is being completely revamped top to bottom on a long term redesign program. It was decided to start with the mixer, redesign of the project window and other features will follow in later versions.I.
:evil:

Arrgh.... Armageddon is around the corner. If the dark star look is just the beginning I dread the further updates. :shock: Take a seriously good program, give it to the newbies on level two and before long its back to the eighties. Next thing they will be reverting to the Atari-retro look complete with floppy discs.

The actual look of the mixer did not need to change. Just moving a few buttons around to make the strips narrower is ok by me but forcing us to stare at a the black hole all day is shall we say... regrettable. :|

Yes I much prefer the old mixer and with good reason too. :D

Finally I will say it again. [Can anybody tell me what File/Preferences/MixConsole Racks/Hardware does?]
Stephen Galvin
Musician
LTCL BMus BA MMus(Hons.) Dip. Tchg.
Studio Director ABC Studios
Cubase 10.5 Sequel 3.0.1,
Dorico 3 Wavelab Pro 10
Laptop: MSI Intel i7-9750 CPU @ 2.6GHz 32GB RAM. Windows 10 64bit. Intel SSD 300GB +500GB.
Desktop: Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3 GHz 32GB RAM Windows 10 Intel SSD 500GB +1TB +1TB.

Focusrite Scarlett 1820, Octopre, Saffire Pro40. Lots of cables. Cables everywhere... Cables man....
http://www.abcstudios.co.nz
http://www.singinglessonsauckland.com
http://www.guitarlessonsauckland.com
http://www.basslessonsauckland.com
https://www.drumlessonsnewzealand.com

mozizo

Re: Old or new mixer better?

Post by mozizo »

Finally I will say it again. [Can anybody tell me what File/Preferences/MixConsole Racks/Hardware does?]
Hardware rack is for steinbergs audio card use(at list for MR816 dont know about the others)
its shows on input channels where it integrates with cubase and can be controled from cubase .
in the image you can see the channel strip + RevX+hardware setup of MR816csx audio card within cubase.
Hardware rack view.png
(625.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

hat the new mixer's look is kind of inconguous in relation to the rest of Cubase (e.g.. Project window) has a simple explanation, which Helge elucidated in a video (albeit in german) - Cubase is being completely revamped top to bottom on a long term redesign program. It was decided to start with the mixer, redesign of the project window and other features will follow in later versions.
Wow... i should learn German with those big news ;)
the new mixer is just the starting point of cubase's new life cycle?.
i think with new Daws around cubase should be redesigned to appeal for future and new/young costumers.(and old ones too.. just have to get used to it) now its seems a little bit lame and bugy here and there but its a new born so it will take some time until its stands still on legs. Good luck ! ;)
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

JClosed

Post by JClosed »

Hmm.. That's news indeed..
Maybe we then finally can (for instance) open the pool window without all other windows resizing? Even in Cubase 7 I have to open the pool window full-screen if I want to keep my project window full-sized and that's still (in my case) a bit annoying.

Anyway - I just have to say I really like the new mixer. I did not liked tho "old" fixed size mixer and was delighted to see the scalability of this new mixer window. This scalability is very useful if you are viewing your screen at some distance (like sometimes needed). To be honest - It was my main reason to upgrade.

Yes - there are some quirks, but (in my opinion) no real showstoppers. It just fits in my "workflow". I can imagine this is not true for other people, but we where asked for personal opinions here. I am sure these quirks will be corrected in the near future.

So - count me in as being positive about the new mixer.

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

It would be really good if you could find someone to transliterate the video while you watch it. Besides Helge there are three Official Beta testers including Holger Steinbrink who has made many instructional video tutorials and workshops.
Practically every aspect of the new features is discussed including concepts as well as shortcomings, from the new Mixer through Chord track to Asio Guard.
Being an hour long, I'm sorry but I've not the time to transcribe this, but perhaps someone else...

Post by Guest »

BriHar wrote:Helge elucidated in a video (albeit in german) - Cubase is being completely revamped top to bottom on a long term redesign program. It was decided to start with the mixer, redesign of the project window and other features will follow in later versions.
This upgrading by pieces is a fundamental mistake !! :shock:

It's a bit like demolishing, redesigning and rebuilding your entire home while you are still living in it, whilst simultaneously wanting everything inside it to work without interruption or problem. Yes it can be done, but it takes more effort than a straight-off rebuild and for many years you are living in a construction site and getting brick dust in your coffee. In order to retain full functionality of everything during the revamp-in-place process, there is much redundant development effort required getting the new bits to work with old bits that will be thrown out soon anyway.

A better idea is to build a new home from the ground up, and then move in when it is all finished. The new product will then be more consistent within itself, and the old working one wasn't compromised during construction.

So if you're going to rewrite the whole thing, then do it from the ground up, otherwise you will end up with FrankenSequencer <cue: lightening flash and thunder>

Return to “Older Cubase versions”